103Re: another man who didn't want to be president

    Aug 1, 2004
      There were lots of Shermans back then. William T. Sherman had a
      brother who was a presidential nominee wannabe but never was as
      popular as his brother.

      Then there was Senator John Sherman, who was famous for tagging his
      name on important legislations. (Who doesn't remember the Sherman
      Anti-trust Act!)

      This Sherman that we are talking about is James Schoolcraft Sherman,
      a House member from New York. Whether he had anything to do with the
      other guys... Greg, I have no clue.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>
      wrote:
      > And whoever it was died before the electoral votes were officialy
      > counted, so his votes mostly went to other people. I think it was
      > someone who lost to Grant, so either in 1868 or 1872.
      > Was James Sherman related to the Sherman (brother of William
      Tecumseh
      > Sherman) who was seeking the Republican nomination in 1880?
      > --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Ram Lau" <ramlau@y...>
      wrote:
      > > It wasn't Greeley. But I know what you are talking about. I can
      also
      > > blurrily remember some guy did lose and died a few days after
      the
      > > general election in the mid- to late-1800s. But the closest
      thing I
      > > can find is James Sherman, Taft's running mate in 1912, who died
      > > few days before the general election.
      > >
      > > Ram
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic