1012Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: Did Nixon speak out against Goldwater's racial stance in 1964?

    Aug 25, 2005
      Thanks, Ram...It looks very interesting.

      Our group members aren't that responsive. And I just I
      don't think
      people in general care much about history.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON
      <AVRCRDNG@F...>
      wrote:
      > Good point. Nixon was a brilliant strategist but
      > didn't really stand for anything. Or maybe he looked
      > at Harry Truman's 24% approval rating in 1951 and
      > decided that integrity was a liability.
      > Does anybody have any insight or thoughts on whether
      > Wilson entered WW1 more with the US interests in
      mind
      > or for political gain?
      >
      > Tom
      >

      > --- Ram Lau <ramlau@y...> wrote:
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Wilson was a Dixiecrat, and, as a matter of fact,
      > quite proud of being
      > one.
      >
      > The way I see Nixon is that he was willing to be
      > either the good or
      > bad guy. I fail to see what kind of legacy he wanted
      > to shape, and
      > maybe he just didn't care. He would've been a strong
      > Civil Rights
      > supporter had the Democrats not gone all out for the
      > Black votes. As
      > Machiavellian as he was, every vote was within his
      > calculation. And by
      > 1968, it was a "wise move" to let go any support
      from
      > Blacks (since
      > Goldwater totally ruined it for him anyway) and go
      for
      > the KKK votes
      > instead. The plan worked out quite well for him,
      > didn't it?
      >
      > Ram
      >

      > --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS
      JOHNSON
      > <AVRCRDNG@F...>
      > wrote:
      > > That's a lot to think about.
      > > According to Joan Hoff writing in Nixon
      > Reconsidered,
      > > Nixon told her that his roots were in the
      > progressive
      > > wing of the Republican Party, and by initiating
      the
      > > EPA, the Social Security Income program, and the
      > > Office for Minority Business Enterprise, there
      seems
      > > to be some credence to that. And though he started
      > > with a higher approval rating than JFK or LBJ in
      > > their first 6 months in office, he felt that the
      > press
      > > was out to get him, despite being supported by the
      > > vast majority of periodicals and daily newspapers
      in
      > > all three runs for president. His paranoia
      probably
      > > stopped him from attempting to do more.
      > > In secretly bombing Cambodia, 100,000 Cambodian
      > > peasants were killed and set the stage for the
      Khmer
      > > Rouge to take over, resulting in another 1.7
      > million
      > > deaths. He seems to have admitted that he
      prolonged
      > > the Viet Nam war for several years to help him get
      > > re-elected.
      > > He was an asshole, alright, and an insecure one,
      at
      > > that.... he probably knew it but I don't think he
      > > cared. The man must have been a sociopath.
      > > It looks to me like we have the same situation
      > > happening today, and I'm beginning to wonder
      whether
      > > Wilson was one, as well.
      > >
      > > Tom
      > >

      > > --- Ram Lau <ramlau@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > > I had a conversation with an emeritus professor on
      > > race and the
      > > Presidents yesterday. It began with his son at
      Yale
      > > working on his
      > > history dissertation on Woodrow Wilson's Southern
      > > roots and my "Nixon
      > > 96" shirt.
      > >
      > > Knowing how racist Wilson was, I had no intention
      > > defend him. Then
      > > I pointed out that the New Deal coalition was very
      > > solid until the
      > > late 40's when Eleanor Roosevelt and Harry Truman
      > and
      > > Hubert Humphrey
      > > and the ADA and other Civil Rights pioneers
      > > substantially shaked up
      > > the civil rights stances of both parties for the
      > first
      > > time.
      > >
      > > Nixon was the last GOP leader who could do
      something
      > > about preserving
      > > the moderate wing of the Party. But he wanted to
      win
      > > so badly that he
      > > came to the South and sought for the Klan votes
      > > instead. His
      > > anti-busing stance in 1972 was yet another blow
      that
      > > drove away the
      > > "good elements" of the GOP. I wonder if he
      realized
      > > how much of an
      > > asshole he was. I'm quite sure he did.
      > >
      > > He could have been the good guy and would have
      done
      > > great. But that
      > > role was taken by LBJ. Now that his infamous name
      > will
      > > long live...
      > > perhaps that's what he wanted?
      > >
      > > Ram