Re: e-mail is your friend

  • Suzanne Cornforth
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 1998
      I'd like a copy, Jim. Thanks!
      Suzanne

      Jim Rink wrote:

      > From: Jim Rink <userg@...>
      >
      > E-mail is a basic, but often overlooked, PR tool. In addition to pitching
      > stories and maintaining one-on-one relationships with the press, consider
      > publishing an online newsletter or news service with credible content of
      > real use to journalists (that also promotes your client/product/service).
      >
      > The trick is to have newsworthy information, e.g., summer car care tips,
      > travel trends, expert "inside" information, etc...then approach the media
      > individually with a letter or e-mail inquiry--don't spam them or cluster
      > bomb a large mailing list with unsolicited e-mail.
      >
      > The e-mail can contain two or three pertinent items in digest form, with a
      > link to your Web site. The e-mail can be digest only, or include full
      > text, which some journalists seem to prefer. This has a couple advantages:
      > online journalists get used to seeing your name and identifying it with
      > quality information. A direct link to your Web site means there are
      > further opportunities to promote/educate your audience.
      >
      > For a simple example, e-mail me privately or post to the list and I will
      > send you a one-time-only e-mail which includes these ingredients. Many PR
      > practitioners use an online newsletter to achieve similar results for a
      > wider audience.
      >
      > E-mail tip: if you are sending to a large mailing list, place the nickname
      > of the list in the Bcc field and something like "Valued Subscriber" in the
      > to field. This way, each person who receives the e-mail won't see a large
      > list of e-mail addresses at the top of the screen.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Jim Rink
      >
      > =========================
      >
      > pr@...
      > http://www.aaamich.com
      >
      > userg@...
      > http://www.jimrink.com
      >
      > =========================
      >
      > "Not all that is gold does glitter."

      > Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
      > product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
      > Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.
    • scorsi
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 1998
        thanks Jim !!!

        you always propose great addresses and good tips !

        Regards !

        Sabrina Corsi
        S.A.C Partener
        partener@...

      • J2S2Barbra@xxx.xxxx
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 1998

          << E-mail is a basic, but often overlooked, PR tool. In addition to pitching
          stories and maintaining one-on-one relationships with the press, consider
          publishing an online newsletter or news service with credible content of
          real use to journalists (that also promotes your client/product/service).
          ...This has a couple advantages: online journalists get used to seeing your
          name and identifying it with quality information. A direct link to your Web
          site means there are further opportunities to promote/educate your audience.>>

          Jim,
          I couldn't agree with you more. I have been including this message regarding
          "the power of e-mail" to groups that I have spoken to on the topic of "Online
          PR". Not only is it a great way to get your (or your client's) name known but
          it also *does* provide a real service to the media if they are presented with
          a good lead and don't have to go searching.

          It also is amazing how these newsletters seem to "network" on their own and I
          get replies from far and wide due to friends forwarding to friends. Just
          another perk!

          Barbara McDonald

          Here's an example of one I write for my company : (just the lead)

          J2S2 HEALTH NEWS AND UPDATES
          J2S2 Online Productions
          May 30, 1998

          "No appointment needed. Health online." (tm)

          AltMed: Alternative Medical Forum (tm)
          A&R: Addiction & Recovery Forum (tm)
          PRC: Pain Relief Center
          Depression Information Forum

          This newsletter contains important highlights of J2S2 Online Productions'
          monthly online health promotions on America Online (AOL) and the Internet,
          current news releases and medical updates. This information will be useful for
          all print and broadcast media who want current health news and access to
          health experts for interview.

          364-8677.

          * * * * *
          * *
        • Gill, Kathy
          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 1998
            Yes - at a meeting of the Seattle Area Human Factors and Ergonomics
            Society on Wed -- MS research Mary Czerwinsk, in talking about the
            future of the web (looking at human, technological and social aspects)
            reported from this survey:

            American internet user survey by Cyber Dialogue Inc, Feb 98
            -email is killer app
            34.4m us adults use e-mail - up 44 percent from last year

            Kathy E. Gill
            Business Process Information Visibility, http://process.ca.boeing.com/
            BCAG Process Management, http://bpm.ca.boeing.com/ -- 425.234.2004
            Empty pockets never held a man back. Only empty heads and empty hearts
            can do that. - Norman Vincent Peale

            Microsoft Exchange: the perfect name for its users' greatest desire!