allow me to recommend a great blog for PR consultants

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2013
      http://soloprpro.com/foolproof-formula-for-handling-brain-pickers/

      This nails it. Also see my comment (so I don't have to print it here <g>).

      Let's discuss it.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2013

        I saw something on the same topic on PR Daily recently. I work with many great nonprofits, and I'm passionate about what I do and what they do. I would rather spend an hour, if it helps them in some meaningful way, than watch them struggle.

        Having said that, I will add that I tend to give free advice and even pro bono services to the organizations that have paid me in the past on one project or another. When I have a good working history with the nonprofit, I trust them to follow through, so I don't feel I'm wasting my breath.

        Moreover I find that doing some pro bono work for something I believe in makes me feel energized, and spikes my productivity, even at those times I feel I have too much on my plate to take on one more thing. Helping someone else has that effect on me. I feel good about my work and my impact, and it inspires me to do more.

        We recently worked with a new-to-us nonprofit on a project. We told them what we normally charge, and gave them a 50% discount. We put in more time and effort than we initially expected, but the results were fantastic. They paid us the full fee, without accepting the discount, and we already started talking about future projects. Needless to say this is a group I'd be happy to give my brain pickings to.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2013
          Kezia

          I agree when it comes to pro-bono work. This past two weeks I’ve developed a fund-raising program for a non-profit that benefits at-risk kids (as a father and grandfather, “kids” are my weakness), and next week, I’ll talk to them about serving on their board.

          My charities of choice tend to be those that help abused women and at-risk kids – there are many great charities out there, but those are my choice. However, I’m also currently developing a pro-bono marketing plan for an environmental advocacy group; the director’s a friend, and like you’ve experienced, it could turn into a paying proposition down the road. But for right now, I’m just helping them over a rough spot.

          (I can hear the cries of amazement – “Barnett helping an environmental advocacy group? The world must be coming to an end!” … but yes, its true).

          <http://pr-marketing2point0.blogspot.com/> http://pr-marketing2point0.blogspot.com/

          05-6-16 BMC Logo