777 impact

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2013
      Here is what I believe to be a legitimate email describing the crash in San
      Francisco - there are PR implications to this getting out, and I thought
      that was sufficient excuse to share this with the group.

      On July 6, 2013 at approximately 1827Z I was the 747-400 relief F/O on flt
      885, ID326/06 SFO-KIX. I was a witness to the Asiana Flt 214 accident. We
      had taxied to hold short of runway 28L at SFO on taxiway F, and were waiting
      to rectify a HAZMAT cargo issue as well as our final weights before we could
      run our before takeoff checklist and depart. As we waited on taxiway F
      heading East, just prior to the perpendicular holding area, all three pilots
      took notice of the Asiana 777 on short final. I noticed the aircraft looked
      low on glidepath and had a very high deck angle compared to what seemed
      "normal". I then noticed at the apparent descent rate and closure to the
      runway environment the aircraft looked as though it was going to impact the
      approach lights mounted on piers in the SF Bay. The aircraft made a fairly
      drastic looking pull up in the last few feet and it appeared and sounded as
      if they had applied maximum thrust. However the descent path they were on
      continued and the thrust applied didn't appear to come soon enough to
      prevent impact. The tail cone and empennage of the 777 impacted the bulkhead
      seawall and departed the airplane and the main landing gear sheared off
      instantly. This created a long debris field along the arrival end of 28L,
      mostly along the right side of 28L. We saw the fuselage, largely intact,
      slide down the runway and out of view of our cockpit. We heard much
      confusion and quick instructions from SFO Tower and a few moments later
      heard an aircraft go around over the runway 28 complex. We realized within a
      few moments that we were apparently unharmed so I got on the PA and
      instructed everyone to remain seated and that we were safe.

      We all acknowledged if we had been located between Runways 28R and 28L on
      taxiway F we would have likely suffered damage to the right side aft section
      of our aircraft from the 777.

      Approximately two minutes later I was looking out the left side cockpit
      windows and noticed movement on the right side of Runway 28L. Two survivors
      were stumbling but moving abeam the Runway "28L" marking on the North side
      of the runway. I saw one survivor stand up, walk a few feet, then appear to
      squat down. The other appeared to be a woman and was walking, then fell off
      to her side and remained on the ground until rescue personnel arrived. The
      Captain was on the radio and I told him to tell tower what I had seen, but I
      ended up taking the microphone instead of relaying through him. I told SFO
      tower that there appeared to be survivors on the right side of the runway
      and they needed to send assistance immediately. It seemed to take a very
      long time for vehicles and assistance to arrive for these victims. The
      survivors I saw were approximately 1000-1500' away from the fuselage and had
      apparently been ejected from the fuselage.

      We made numerous PAs to the passengers telling them any information we had,
      which we acknowledged was going to change rapidly, and I left the cockpit to
      check on the flight attendants and the overall mood of the passengers, as I
      was the third pilot and not in a control seat. A couple of our flight
      attendants were shaken up but ALL were doing an outstanding and extremely
      professional job of handling the passenger's needs and providing calm
      comfort to them. One of the flight attendants contacted unaccompanied
      minors' parents to ensure them their children were safe and would be taken
      care of by our crew. Their demeanor and professionalism during this horrific
      event was noteworthy. I went to each cabin and spoke to the passengers
      asking if everyone was OK and if they needed any assistance, and gave them
      information personally, to include telling them what I saw from the cockpit.
      I also provided encouragement that we would be OK, we'd tell them everything
      we learn and to please relax and be patient and expect this is going to be a
      long wait. The passenger mood was concerned but generally calm. A few
      individuals were emotional as nearly every passenger on the left side of the
      aircraft saw the fuselage and debris field going over 100 knots past our
      aircraft only 300' away. By this point everyone had looked out the windows
      and could see the smoke plume from the 777. A number of passengers also
      noticed what I had seen with the survivors out near the end of 28L
      expressing concern that the rescue effort appeared slow for those
      individuals that had been separated from the airplane wreckage.

      We ultimately had a tug come out and tow us back to the gate, doing a 3
      point turn in the hold short area of 28L. We were towed to gate 101 where
      the passengers deplaned. Captain Jim Abel met us at the aircraft and gave us
      information he had and asked if we needed any assistance or hotel rooms for
      the evening. Captain Herlihy and F/O Ishikawa went to hotels and I went to
      my home an hour away in the East Bay.