PR Consulting and Publishing

  • desmondekeh
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2013
      Dear Colleagues,

      Need some input and counsel here. Before then, a bit of a background. I run a PR company in Nigeria. I started out in my career as a journalist, after a professional training from a journalism school. Thereafter, just like most people did, I moved into PR also after some advanced training in PR, advertising and marketing. I worked in an agency for seven years before I decided to start my agency which consults for some multinational companies here in Nigeria. Considering that we are new on the turf some people think we are doing well even though I dont think we are doing really really great but may be good. Before all of this, I had been partnered with the biggest newspaper in Nigeria to provide content in the area of branding and general marketing communications. With the success achieved, I and my team decided to publish an industry magazine that will offer the industry and discerning readers top rate industry news for the purpose of information, education and entertainment. I sought the views of most industry practitioners here and they thought it a good idea. I even shared the idea with this group and some of you made contributions and encouraged me. Right now the magazine is in its third edition and is really getting the attention of top industry people. But boom, from nowhere, I am made to understand it is unethical to own a PR company and also own a media platform like the magazine I am publishing. I am currently trying to articulate my points as to how I will confront this guy who happens to head the same PR consultants association with me here in my country. Although opinion on this is divergent even in the association. Please does anybody have an idea what the practice is out there or globally. Is it unethical for a PR outfit to expand competence platfrom and business interest into the area of publishing. Please do make your inputs and advise on what you think should be the case.

      Regards

      Desmond