RE: [PRQuorum] Re: [PRMindshare] best practices?

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
      Hearing more about the issues and the audience, Duncan, I'm more convinced
      that the video will do well at the beginning to set the stage and tone for
      the meeting.

      www.barnettmarcom.com - twitter @nedbarnett

      On 2012-11-09, at 3:56 PM, Deon Binneman wrote:

      > Hi Duncan,
      >

      > Interesting question. In your opinion what is the quickest and best way to
      get buy- in from your audience?

      > Because you call it a promotional video, I would use it towards the end.
      My reasoning - These days people want to buy, not be sold to. Using towards
      the end , overcomes objections (which are often just requests for more info
      anyway) and reinforces the message/that they are working with the right
      people.

      > On the other hand, always stay flexible. In NLP they teach - The meaning
      of response lies in the feedback you get..THAT is always my cue. I have used
      tools at the "wrong times" - always with great effect..

      > You may even decide to omit it. I once did this. At the end of a
      presentation, I was asked how much I would charge. Instead of doing the
      normal and putting up a costing, I told a story and that got me the job.
      Here is the story:

      > Years ago there was a factory in North-West America that would for some
      unknown reason; go into shutdown mode at the most inopportune times.
      Eventually a group of consultants was called in and they resolved only part
      of the problem at a cost of about 40,000 USD. Although the incidences
      dropped, the problem persisted.

      > One day at a brainstorm meeting, someone remembered that there was an old
      timer that used to work at the plant, and that he had a way to get the
      system up and running instantly.

      > So, they decided to bring him back as a consultant. One day he arrived
      with a small black suitcase. Inside this suitcase, was a small silver
      aluminium hammer. As the plant went down in shutdown mode, he opened his
      case, went up to one of the pipes, smacked it with his small aluminium
      hammer, and the system restarted instantly.

      > Very happy, his customer asked him to bill them. Which he did. Only for
      the bean counters to return the invoice asking for how the bill of 1043
      dollars was made up.

      folder, please add deonbin@... to your address book.

      > To opt out from my mailing list, send a blank e-mail with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in
      the subject line.

      Behalf Of Duncan Matheson
      PRMindshare@yahoogroups.com; SmallShopNetwork@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [PRMindshare] best practices?
      >

      > We have a client that we are helping through a stakeholder presentation.
      Content will include where we stand, plans for the future, Q and A time,
      that sort of thing but also we will unveil what I feel is a very good two
      minute promotional video. What I am trying to determine is when to play it -
      should we start with it to set a nice, up tone, or close with it, or throw
      it in in the middle somewhere? Any rule of thumb on this sort of thing?
      Interested in any suggestions.

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Duncan
      >
      > Duncan Matheson
      >
      > BissettMatheson Communications
      >
      > 506-457-1627(O)
      >
      > 506-447-2388(mobile)
      > duncan@...
      > Twitter: @DuncanFMatheson
      > www.bissettmatheson.com

    • Samuel L Waltz Jr
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
        I've just caught up with this series of exchanges. Although my son Andrew Waltz does Videography of this kind, making me more amenable to it, I'm historically not a big fan of Video for stand-alone story-telling. Particularly for VIP Opinion-Leader audiences who must shoulder the burden to watch it from their busy days. Then I read over the exchanges again, and realized that it's more of a Stakeholder Presentation.

        If I were counseling this particular client, and if the client had the resources of time and money, I'd encourage them to expand the Reputation Management portion from a group (if that's what they were planning) into a series of very targeted VIP Opinion Leader "Desk-Side Briefings," one-on-ones with senior leadership talking to senior leadership. At that point, they are using either a 1-page agenda supported by PowerPoint & LapTop video and effectively narrating over the video about the assets of the Airport.

        Effectively, your Airport Client is looking at New Business Development, transit, shipping, economic development for Airport property, Industrial / Office Parks on site, etc., and that kind of "sales call" always is worthy of 1 on 1 effort, and it benefits from that.

        Just another country being heard from that perhaps supports some ideas, changes some, and elaborates on some.

        Sam

        Samuel L. Waltz Jr., APR, Fellow PRSA
        SamWaltz@...<mailto:SamWaltz@...>
        (302) 777-7774

        Sam Waltz & Associates LLC
        Business & Communications Counsel
        11 Downs Drive, Limerick at Greenville
        Wilmington, DE 19807-2555

        www.SamWaltz.com<http://www.samwaltz.com/> Business & Communications Counsel
        www.RLSassociates.com<http://www.rlsassociates.com/> Investment Banking / Merger & Acquisition

        Helping Leaders & Organizations Navigate
        Difficult Events, Trends, Times, People & Issues
        to Achieve Their Goals!
        =======================================

        duncan@...<mailto:duncan%40bissettmatheson.com>
        Twitter: @DuncanFMatheson
        www.bissettmatheson.com

        folder, please add deonbin@...<mailto:deonbin%40icon.co.za> to your address book.

        PRMindshare@yahoogroups.com<mailto:PRMindshare%40yahoogroups.com>; SmallShopNetwork@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SmallShopNetwork%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [PRMindshare] best practices?
        >

        > We have a client that we are helping through a stakeholder presentation.
        Content will include where we stand, plans for the future, Q and A time,
        that sort of thing but also we will unveil what I feel is a very good two
        minute promotional video. What I am trying to determine is when to play it -
        should we start with it to set a nice, up tone, or close with it, or throw
        it in in the middle somewhere? Any rule of thumb on this sort of thing?
        Interested in any suggestions.

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Duncan
        >
        > Duncan Matheson
        >
        > BissettMatheson Communications
        >
        > 506-457-1627(O)
        >
        > 506-447-2388(mobile)
        > duncan@...<mailto:duncan%40bissettmatheson.com>
        > Twitter: @DuncanFMatheson
        > www.bissettmatheson.com

      • Duncan Matheson
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
          Hi Sam,

          Very good points, especially the one-on-one with select stakeholders. I should have added they do some of that but more certainly wouldn't hurt.
          Perhaps I should have added that the presentation will be a breakfast thing - beginning at 7:30, including a light breakfast and a promise to get people out by 9, so not a big infringement on the work day.
          And the video is only 2 minutes, so it especially shouldn't be seen as an infringement on a busy day.

          On 2012-11-09, at 4:28 PM, Samuel L Waltz Jr wrote:

          > I've just caught up with this series of exchanges. Although my son Andrew Waltz does Videography of this kind, making me more amenable to it, I'm historically not a big fan of Video for stand-alone story-telling. Particularly for VIP Opinion-Leader audiences who must shoulder the burden to watch it from their busy days. Then I read over the exchanges again, and realized that it's more of a Stakeholder Presentation.
          >
          > If I were counseling this particular client, and if the client had the resources of time and money, I'd encourage them to expand the Reputation Management portion from a group (if that's what they were planning) into a series of very targeted VIP Opinion Leader "Desk-Side Briefings," one-on-ones with senior leadership talking to senior leadership. At that point, they are using either a 1-page agenda supported by PowerPoint & LapTop video and effectively narrating over the video about the assets of the Airport.
          >
          > Effectively, your Airport Client is looking at New Business Development, transit, shipping, economic development for Airport property, Industrial / Office Parks on site, etc., and that kind of "sales call" always is worthy of 1 on 1 effort, and it benefits from that.
          >
          > Just another country being heard from that perhaps supports some ideas, changes some, and elaborates on some.
          >
          > Sam
          >
          > Samuel L. Waltz Jr., APR, Fellow PRSA
          > SamWaltz@...<mailto:SamWaltz@...>
          > (302) 777-7774
          >
          > Sam Waltz & Associates LLC
          > Business & Communications Counsel
          > 11 Downs Drive, Limerick at Greenville
          > Wilmington, DE 19807-2555
          >
          > www.SamWaltz.com<http://www.samwaltz.com/> Business & Communications Counsel
          > www.RLSassociates.com<http://www.rlsassociates.com/> Investment Banking / Merger & Acquisition
          >
          > Helping Leaders & Organizations Navigate
          > Difficult Events, Trends, Times, People & Issues
          > to Achieve Their Goals!

        • Duncan Matheson
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
            For Canadians only - the rest of you just move along - nothing to see here ;-)
            Now that "they" are gone - quick question - CP or CNW - which is most effective in your view?