Re: [PRMindshare] best practices?

  • Duncan Matheson
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
      Tks Deon and Ned.

      Deon, I especially hear you in regards to being flexible. I do this in my media training all the time, where I pull out the appropriate video clip or tell the appropriate story when the right window opens rather than following any sort of agenda. So no two courses are ever the same. But in this case we will be scripting for others - I may be the MC but the speakers will be others.

      I should probably have offered more information.
      The client is the local airport, which just recently saw an end to a strike that dragged on for 8 months. Our message is that we are stronger as a result of changes that have been made because of the strike, organizationjal changes, better work environment, that kind of thing - and we will share plans of how we see immediate growth and the long term vision. The stakeholders in the audience will be officials with the city, chambers of commerce, economic development organizations that sort of thing. Our objective is to position the airport as one of the key economic drivers and a partner in economic growth. The video is a feel good piece that tries to draw an emotional connection between people and the airport, and at the same time underlines that economic stuff.

      Tks to you both for responding.

      Duncan Matheson
      BissettMatheson Communications
      506-457-1627(O)
      506-447-2388(mobile)
      duncan@...
      Twitter: @DuncanFMatheson
      www.bissettmatheson.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
        Hearing more about the issues and the audience, Duncan, I'm more convinced
        that the video will do well at the beginning to set the stage and tone for
        the meeting.

        www.barnettmarcom.com - twitter @nedbarnett

        On 2012-11-09, at 3:56 PM, Deon Binneman wrote:

        > Hi Duncan,
        >

        > Interesting question. In your opinion what is the quickest and best way to
        get buy- in from your audience?

        > Because you call it a promotional video, I would use it towards the end.
        My reasoning - These days people want to buy, not be sold to. Using towards
        the end , overcomes objections (which are often just requests for more info
        anyway) and reinforces the message/that they are working with the right
        people.

        > On the other hand, always stay flexible. In NLP they teach - The meaning
        of response lies in the feedback you get..THAT is always my cue. I have used
        tools at the "wrong times" - always with great effect..

        > You may even decide to omit it. I once did this. At the end of a
        presentation, I was asked how much I would charge. Instead of doing the
        normal and putting up a costing, I told a story and that got me the job.
        Here is the story:

        > Years ago there was a factory in North-West America that would for some
        unknown reason; go into shutdown mode at the most inopportune times.
        Eventually a group of consultants was called in and they resolved only part
        of the problem at a cost of about 40,000 USD. Although the incidences
        dropped, the problem persisted.

        > One day at a brainstorm meeting, someone remembered that there was an old
        timer that used to work at the plant, and that he had a way to get the
        system up and running instantly.

        > So, they decided to bring him back as a consultant. One day he arrived
        with a small black suitcase. Inside this suitcase, was a small silver
        aluminium hammer. As the plant went down in shutdown mode, he opened his
        case, went up to one of the pipes, smacked it with his small aluminium
        hammer, and the system restarted instantly.

        > Very happy, his customer asked him to bill them. Which he did. Only for
        the bean counters to return the invoice asking for how the bill of 1043
        dollars was made up.

        > This was the answer they got.
        >
        > 43 dollars for hitting the pipe, a 1000 dollars for knowing where to look.
        >
        > It's that 'look' that costs so much. And, that is what consultants bring
        to the table.

        > Hope this gives you a view.
        >

        > Deon Binneman
        >
        > Speaker, Consultant & Reputation Management Thought Leader
        >
        > I help organizations & individuals grow, sustain and protect their
        reputations

        > http://www.deonbinneman.com
        >
        > P: +27 11 4753515 / M: 83-425-4318 / Johannesburg, South Africa
        >

        > To ensure that future emails from me aren't filtered to your junk mail
        folder, please add deonbin@... to your address book.

        > To opt out from my mailing list, send a blank e-mail with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in
        the subject line.

      • Samuel L Waltz Jr
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
          I've just caught up with this series of exchanges. Although my son Andrew Waltz does Videography of this kind, making me more amenable to it, I'm historically not a big fan of Video for stand-alone story-telling. Particularly for VIP Opinion-Leader audiences who must shoulder the burden to watch it from their busy days. Then I read over the exchanges again, and realized that it's more of a Stakeholder Presentation.

          If I were counseling this particular client, and if the client had the resources of time and money, I'd encourage them to expand the Reputation Management portion from a group (if that's what they were planning) into a series of very targeted VIP Opinion Leader "Desk-Side Briefings," one-on-ones with senior leadership talking to senior leadership. At that point, they are using either a 1-page agenda supported by PowerPoint & LapTop video and effectively narrating over the video about the assets of the Airport.

          Effectively, your Airport Client is looking at New Business Development, transit, shipping, economic development for Airport property, Industrial / Office Parks on site, etc., and that kind of "sales call" always is worthy of 1 on 1 effort, and it benefits from that.

          Just another country being heard from that perhaps supports some ideas, changes some, and elaborates on some.

          Sam

          Samuel L. Waltz Jr., APR, Fellow PRSA
          SamWaltz@...<mailto:SamWaltz@...>
          (302) 777-7774

          Sam Waltz & Associates LLC
          Business & Communications Counsel
          11 Downs Drive, Limerick at Greenville
          Wilmington, DE 19807-2555

          www.SamWaltz.com<http://www.samwaltz.com/> Business & Communications Counsel
          www.RLSassociates.com<http://www.rlsassociates.com/> Investment Banking / Merger & Acquisition

          Helping Leaders & Organizations Navigate
          Difficult Events, Trends, Times, People & Issues
          to Achieve Their Goals!
          =======================================

          duncan@...<mailto:duncan%40bissettmatheson.com>
          Twitter: @DuncanFMatheson
          www.bissettmatheson.com

          folder, please add deonbin@...<mailto:deonbin%40icon.co.za> to your address book.

          PRMindshare@yahoogroups.com<mailto:PRMindshare%40yahoogroups.com>; SmallShopNetwork@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SmallShopNetwork%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [PRMindshare] best practices?
          >

          > We have a client that we are helping through a stakeholder presentation.
          Content will include where we stand, plans for the future, Q and A time,
          that sort of thing but also we will unveil what I feel is a very good two
          minute promotional video. What I am trying to determine is when to play it -
          should we start with it to set a nice, up tone, or close with it, or throw
          it in in the middle somewhere? Any rule of thumb on this sort of thing?
          Interested in any suggestions.

          > Thanks,
          >

          > Duncan
          >
          > Duncan Matheson
          >
          > BissettMatheson Communications
          >
          > 506-457-1627(O)
          >
          > 506-447-2388(mobile)
          > duncan@...<mailto:duncan%40bissettmatheson.com>
          > Twitter: @DuncanFMatheson
          > www.bissettmatheson.com

        • Duncan Matheson
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
            Hi Sam,

            Very good points, especially the one-on-one with select stakeholders. I should have added they do some of that but more certainly wouldn't hurt.
            Perhaps I should have added that the presentation will be a breakfast thing - beginning at 7:30, including a light breakfast and a promise to get people out by 9, so not a big infringement on the work day.
            And the video is only 2 minutes, so it especially shouldn't be seen as an infringement on a busy day.

            On 2012-11-09, at 4:28 PM, Samuel L Waltz Jr wrote:

            > I've just caught up with this series of exchanges. Although my son Andrew Waltz does Videography of this kind, making me more amenable to it, I'm historically not a big fan of Video for stand-alone story-telling. Particularly for VIP Opinion-Leader audiences who must shoulder the burden to watch it from their busy days. Then I read over the exchanges again, and realized that it's more of a Stakeholder Presentation.
            >
            > If I were counseling this particular client, and if the client had the resources of time and money, I'd encourage them to expand the Reputation Management portion from a group (if that's what they were planning) into a series of very targeted VIP Opinion Leader "Desk-Side Briefings," one-on-ones with senior leadership talking to senior leadership. At that point, they are using either a 1-page agenda supported by PowerPoint & LapTop video and effectively narrating over the video about the assets of the Airport.
            >
            > Effectively, your Airport Client is looking at New Business Development, transit, shipping, economic development for Airport property, Industrial / Office Parks on site, etc., and that kind of "sales call" always is worthy of 1 on 1 effort, and it benefits from that.
            >
            > Just another country being heard from that perhaps supports some ideas, changes some, and elaborates on some.
            >
            > Sam
            >
            > Samuel L. Waltz Jr., APR, Fellow PRSA
            > SamWaltz@...<mailto:SamWaltz@...>
            > (302) 777-7774
            >
            > Sam Waltz & Associates LLC
            > Business & Communications Counsel
            > 11 Downs Drive, Limerick at Greenville
            > Wilmington, DE 19807-2555
            >
            > www.SamWaltz.com<http://www.samwaltz.com/> Business & Communications Counsel
            > www.RLSassociates.com<http://www.rlsassociates.com/> Investment Banking / Merger & Acquisition
            >
            > Helping Leaders & Organizations Navigate
            > Difficult Events, Trends, Times, People & Issues
            > to Achieve Their Goals!

          • Duncan Matheson
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2012
              For Canadians only - the rest of you just move along - nothing to see here ;-)
              Now that "they" are gone - quick question - CP or CNW - which is most effective in your view?