XP - Best Practices in Social Networking?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2012
      I am writing because I need a reality check on my "take" on social
      networking, and if I'm out of date, I need to be pointed in the direction of
      what's the current best practice. Please take a moment to read down, then
      if you've got any opinions, please let me know if I'm right or wrong, out of
      date or up to the minute. For me, this is serious stuff, and I would really
      welcome your help and input.

      Having just had my first "past sixty" birthday, sometimes I feel like a
      dinosaur and wonder if I'm toddling off to extinction - but other times, I
      feel like I'm doing an effective job in keeping up with the really dramatic
      changes happening in our PR world, especially as they concern social media
      (or is it social networking? <g>).

      Anyway, a plan I wrote a couple of months ago just got critiqued by "a
      friend" of the client (almost as bad as the dreaded "brother-in-law") - he
      said the social networking part was at least ten years out of date, and the
      example I heard was that I didn't include Pinterest as one of my go-to
      social media sources.

      Which got me wondering - what are social networking best practices for small
      and start-up businesses?

      If you know something about state-of-the-art in B2B social networking,
      please give me your take on it - or steer me in the direction of sources.
      Ditto for B2C (and I'm assuming that they would be different - if I'm wrong
      there, please let me know that, too).

      In a nutshell, my own recommended B2B and B2C strategies are wrapped around
      a fairly conservative approach. Especially for lower-budget start-up
      clients, I tell them to focus on the three or four best (i.e., most proven)
      avenues for getting the word out and engaging targeted constituencies in
      conversations. These include, for Business, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and
      Linkedin. For consumers, the same, but I drop Linkedin, because (to me) it
      seems more B2B oriented. I do not include MySpace (unless it's an
      entertainment client), or Pinterest (too new to be proven), Google Plus (it
      never seemed to have taken off) or any others.

      I tell my clients to focus their limited resources on creating content for
      the chosen venues, monitoring those venues, and engaging constituents in
      conversations when those arise or can be initiated. Spread a small budget
      too thin and nothing gets done. I suppose if you're a Fortune 1000 company
      with a budget big enough, you could use, work with and monitor all the
      social media, but those aren't my clients.

      So, is this strategy sound, or out of date? Does it make sense, or do I
      need to do something to stop being a dinosaur and move into the 21st
      century?

      As I said, I'd really welcome your help and input.