PR Value measurement

  • desmond ekeh
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2012
      Dear All

      My client in Dubai just called demanding a report of our PR value for his company since 12 months. He requested for us to give him the KPI - Key performance indication and the PR value so far. He wants us to use Absolute PR evaluation tool. Presently, what we use is AVE. Please does anyone know about this tool for measuring PR value and how is it used. Do help respond urgently if it is convenient as Client is expecting the feedback soon.
      Thanks for your support.

      Desmond Ekeh
      Synthesis Communications
      12 Aba Johnson Street, Adeniyi Jones,
      Ikeja Lagos
      Nigeria

    • desmond ekeh

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2012
          Sorry, Desmond, but I am unfamiliar with either measuring tool. A quick
          review of what I could find online suggests that this is better used if set
          up at the beginning of the period to be measured, rather than
          after-the-fact, but I could be wrong on that.

          Typically, when I have clients who want to track performance, I get them to
          agree to a fixed, measurable real-world performance indicator, and at the
          end of the measuring period, we see if that indicator reacted/responded to
          PR.

          I professionally reject the whole ad equivalency (AVE) kind of PR measure -
          it has been effectively debunked many, many times. Check here for what I
          mean: http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/903837/AVE-debate-Measuring-value-PR/

          I don't know how to counsel you, Desmond - you prefer measuring performance
          using a thoroughly discredited measuring system, and your client prefers one
          that probably should have been set up in advance - but neither system (or so
          it seems to me) has much in the way of real-world meaning.

          I suggest you find all the real-world measures of impact you can. Not
          knowing your client, I can't be specific, but, if you can log all of your
          favorable media coverage:

          1. If publicly-traded, measure the stock performance after each
          successful bit of media coverage

          2. If retail, measure the short-term sales blips after each bit of
          coverage

          3. If a member organization, look at new sign-ups after each bit of
          coverage

          4. If a non-profit charity, look at trends in donations right after
          each bit of coverage

          5. Find other important measures-of-success for your client (these
          above are just "for instance" examples), and chart each one of them on a
          timeline, comparing them with your successful PR performance indicators.

          6. Take each of the five above (or however many apply) and put them on
          a grid or spreadsheet to demonstrate ongoing positive impact.

          I hope this will help you save the bacon, so to speak.

        • desmondekeh@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2012
            Thanks for your quick response Ned. You are always around and helpful. I would not mind to get the link to the site where you got the idea. Thanks and regards. Desmond
            Sent from my BlackBerry� smartphone provided by Airtel Nigeria.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2012
              Some thoughts:

              - Clients need to be educated. That's why I always do a written proposal and
              contract. However a Proposal should not be like a recipe book, so that the
              client can do his own cooking. As a consultant and professional services
              provider it is your responsibility to educate your client and to help them
              understand the role, importance and specifics of your process. Secondly it
              should be clearly specified within the service level agreement (contract)
              what both parties need to do and expect from each other.

              - Obviously clients want miracles, so we need to carefully explain and
              document our work activities.

              - Companies are still so focused on the old traditional method of looking
              busy. Traditional Communication evaluation methods are largely focussed on
              processes and outputs, instead of being focused on outcomes. What adds to
              the problem is that Communication has rhetoric (words) rather than numeric
              focus – Therefore there is a need to identify key metrics and Speak the
              language of management.

              Recent studies and surveys such as the World's Most Admired Company Survey
              have added to the confusion. For instance communication as a discipline only
              plays a part in the generation and management of an organisation's
              reputation. Because there are so many other factors involved, communication
              only adds and is not the be and end all in these measurements. Yet it is
              often held responsible for an organisation's reputation management.

              Another problem is that we tend to only evaluate only at the end, instead of
              doing it from the BEGINNING and doing it progressively throughout. Many
              practitioners believe that there is a lack of PR research tools , yet a
              variety of low-cost and no-cost evaluation solutions do exist.

              Look at this partial list:

              Quantitative Research (surveys)
              Qualitative research (focus groups)
              Observable Results (sometimes)
              Reader & Audience surveys
              Media Content Analysis
              Awards
              Media Monitoring (Clippings)
              Inquiry or response rates
              Readership/audience statistics
              Circulation/distribution statistics
              Pre-testing (eg focus groups, PDF’s)
              Readability studies
              Case Studies
              Informal focus groups
              Feedback
              Secondary data (existing research)

              Let's take this a bit further. Consider the three levels of measurement:

              The first level of measuring communications is tracking outputs. This
              measures the amount of exposure an organization receives in the media. It
              tracks the number of placements, the total number of impressions (calculated
              by multiplying the placement by the number of people who potentially saw
              it), the equivalent ad value (calculated by multiplying the placement by how
              much it would have cost to buy advertising—this doesn’t factor in the
              increased credibility of public relations), and/or the likelihood of having
              reached a specific audience. Some research tools include clipping reports,
              publicity audits, content analysis and simple public opinion polls. The
              main question here is: “Did we get our message out?”

              A second level of quantifying communications is measuring whether or not the
              target audience actually received and understood the message. Some research
              tools include focus groups, one-on-one interviews, surveys and recall
              studies. In this scenario, you ask: “How did we do in getting our audience
              to remember, understand and pay attention to our message?”

              The most advanced level for measuring communications is tracking opinion,
              attitude or behavior change, and seeking to determine whether there has been
              a shift in views or how people actually act when it comes to an
              organization, its products or its services. Research tools include
              before-and-after studies or pre-and-post tests, experimental research and
              sophisticated data analysis. In this scenario, you ask yourself: “How did
              we do in getting our audience to change their behavior, attitudes or
              opinions?”

              While the final scenario is the most complicated and expensive, it produces
              the kinds of results most often sought by upper management. The bottom line
              is that CEOs want to know how much the awareness needle moved, or how
              industry watchers feel about the company, or whatever is important to them.
              The trouble comes when upper management seeks this type of advanced data
              while using only the most basic measurement tools.

              Beyond increased sales, some other benchmarks of effectiveness could include
              increased inquiries, votes, attendance, donations, more volunteers, improved
              employee morale and job satisfaction, crisis aversion and costs saved by
              avoiding litigation.

              In addition to producing more suitable results for company leadership,
              another benefit to measuring communications and public relations results is
              adding value to the function and moving beyond press releases and parties.
              Accountability is expected throughout business—on the production line, in
              the accounting office and in the sales department. Communications results
              are just as important and also ultimately impact the bottom line. They
              include increased understanding, improved relationships, effective message
              delivery, earned respect, credibility with media, changed attitudes,
              competitive distinction and a fine-tuned image.

              The way to the Boardroom table is two-way communication focused on
              outcomes(not simply outputs) - Building awareness, changing attitudes or
              behaviour. Practitioners should build measurement and evaluation in from the
              beginning. They should constantly put themselves in management's socks and
              evaluate, and re-evaluate key elements of what they do…Or management
              will......

              I believe that it is up to consultancies to act professionally and to learn
              to use the most up to date methods of evaluation. The IPR/PRCA recommends 10
              per cent of the budget should be spent on planning and evaluation.

              News on media cannot and should not be measured in advertising values. It's
              unfortunately not so simple as tripling the ad value and you find the value
              of your work...Sometimes an ad can be more effective than an article, the
              effectiveness of an article depends on the following:

              - Did the article contain the intended message?
              - Was the publication among our target media? (readership profile,
              circulation, credibility)
              - Were the pictures, images, logos included in the article?
              - Was the company/product name/logo in the title?
              - Was there a by-line?
              - Was there a quotation from a spokesperson?
              - Was the article negative/neutral or positive?
              - What was the size of the article? Where was it placed?

              The MOST important measurement is the answer to the question "Did you get
              the results you were looking for?". This means public relations and the
              total communication program need to be integrated with every other effort
              that is ongoing toward achieving the results.

              In this sense, integrating communications not only means getting the
              different tools like PR, advertising and promotion on the same track, it
              means ensuring these tools are working in conjunction with whatever you call
              human resources, finance, legal, marketing, sales and senior leadership. The
              second important measure is did the communications function do what it said
              it was going to do on time and on budget. The answer to that question become
              relevant when the answer to the first question is yes. No matter how much
              work you did, if it did not help accomplish the actual objective of the
              organisation then it really doesn't matter.

              And what is that objective? Nothing other than : " Building, Sustaining and
              protecting its reputation".

              We as PR experts should be the ones to pull PR to another level. It's a
              challenge for all of us!

              Desmond, hope this helps!

              Deon Binneman
              Professional Speaker, Trainer & Adviser - Reputation Management
              P: +27 11 4753515 / M: 83-425-4318 /
              Johannesburg, South Africa
              Profile: About Me
              http://www.deonbinneman.com
              Reputation…Years to build, Minutes to destroy!

              To ensure that future emails from me aren’t filtered to your junk mail
              folder, add deonbin@... to your address book.
              To opt out from the mailing list, send a blank e-mail with “UNSUBSCRIBE” in
              the subject line.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2012
                Hi Deon, hope you are fine. Just woke up to read this elaborate material. Thank you so much. I really appreciate. Meanwhile, client still wants me to respond today with this absolute PR measurement tool and you didn't mention it even in the long list. I am not familiar with what he means by absolute pr measurement. I know AVE is problematic and outdated but that is what we have been using. I am ready to learn other methods and apply them even though the industry is yet still battling to create a standard format. What do you suggest I tell him as I also don't want to appear we are not professional. Hope I am not taking much of your time. Thanks. Desmond

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2012
                  Re - read the material I just sent you.

                  Clarify with the client what he or she wants. Ensure agreement.

                  That's what I would do.

                  Deon Binneman
                  Professional Speaker, Trainer & Adviser
                  I help organizations & individuals to build, sustain and protect their
                  reputation
                  http://www.deonbinneman.com
                  P: +27 11 4753515 / M: 83-425-4318 / Johannesburg, South Africa
                  Profile: http://about.me/deonbinneman
                  Reputation…Years to build, Minutes to destroy!

                  To ensure that future emails from me aren’t filtered to your junk mail
                  folder, please add deonbin@... to your address book.
                  To opt out from my mailing list, send a blank e-mail with “UNSUBSCRIBE” in
                  the subject line.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 7, 2012
                    Ok. Thanks so much. Have a great day. Will reach later on some issues relating to senior staff training in SA and partnership. Regards. Desmond