xp - NASCAR Winner Tweets against breast-feeding ... sponsor has to apologize

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2011
      This is for Jodine (of course), but this is also for anyone who is thinking
      about sponsoring an athlete or celebrity to boost brand awareness. When
      this two-time NASCAR champ unleashed a series of bizarre anti-breastfeeding
      Tweets, he raised a ruckus online and forced his sponsor to issue an apology
      (though IMO the damage is already done). It has also hurt NASCAR as a brand
      as well, especially because it's consciously been courting female fans.

      http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/12/28/nascars-kasey-kahne-goes-on-twit
      ter-rant-after-seeing-woman-breastfeeding/related/

      To me, this is a cautionary tale . I have never been a big fan of sponsored
      celebs, and for this very reason (though usually their public problems
      involve drugs or anti-Semitic rants, not anti breastfeeding rants). They
      are all all-too-human and are more-than-average prone to foot-in-mouth
      disease, for reasons (I think) that their celebrity in a narrow field (like
      racing cars) makes them think that all of their comments are "important"
      because they are also "important." Or so it seems to me.

      What say you?