Venting - a Rant Against "Traditional" Stupidity

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2011
      I just heard/saw it again - another commercial, one for which an
      organization paid thousands of dollars, that offered contact information
      that is all but totally useless.

      What?

      Simply this. The Salvation Army, at the end of an ad pitching themselves as
      the recipients of the donation of goods which can be sold, says, "to arrange
      a pickup, call 1-800-SA-TRUCK ."

      Now, take a moment and look at your smart phone (the kind of phone most
      people now use, for personal and business calls), and try to figure out how
      to accurately dial "1-800-SA-TRUCK" . you can't do it. On those rare
      occasions when I really want to respond to one of these, I have to go online
      and look up a traditional phone keypad, so I know how to dial those letters.

      Once upon a time, it made a lot of marketing sense to have a phone number
      you could spell out - but that "once upon a time" began to disappear back
      when Blackberry phones first became the preferred phone of the hip and
      business-oriented . then came along Steve Jobs' remarkable innovation, the
      iPhone, quickly followed by the Smart Phone for everybody else, the Android
      (which now owns 42% of the Smart Phone market, exceeding iPhone and nearly
      matching all competitors together).

      Today, those cute mnemonic phone numbers are not only no longer useful, but
      they are counterproductive, since they can't be dialed - and because people
      who look at them think, "these people are so 1999 ."

      So, once again, I rant and inveigle against those once-useful phone
      "numbers" which have no numbers.

      Obviously, I have too much time on my hands .

    • Rob Frankel
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2011
        At 2:30 PM -0700 10/12/11, Ned Barnett wrote thusly:
        >I just heard/saw it again - another commercial, one for which an
        >organization paid thousands of dollars, that offered contact information
        >that is all but totally useless.

        Well, kinda but not really. I've kept my 1-888-ROBFRANKEL number
        more as signage than anything else. They not only repeat your brand
        name but they also communicate your brand's willingness to absorb the
        costs of contact (minimal as those costs by phone are today).

        Since the latest numbers I've seen show that smart phones are less
        than half the installed base of cell phones, most of them still have
        the letters on them. For the record, the vast majority of new
        business calls I get are from land lines, not cell phones.

        Bottom line is that I agree spellouts are not what they once were,
        that's for sure.

        --
        Rob Frankel, Branding Expert
        Twitter: @brandingexpert http://www.RobFrankel.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2011
          Ned and Rob, I'm about to throw a wrench in this conversation though I
          loooove a good rant. I think the SA advertising folk know the demographic,
          which is most likely elderly or non-tech users. The elderly will remember
          the SA-TRUCK but will have a harder time processing telephone numbers if
          sitting without a pad and pen. Plus, that's a demo that still relies on
          paper phone books.

          Moreover, the smartphone giver will use an app or avoid giving to the SA in
          order to give to more contemporary charitable purpose organizations. Almost
          every conceivable cause has a resale element, some will even sell and
          auction their goods online.

          Lastly, they will sell the donated merchandise but in their defense, that
          money took care of a whole bunch of folks in New Orleans and in the Gulf
          region while the Red Cross and FEMA took a long time to get their acts
          together. They did so unsung b/c they weren't as sexy as The Red Cross. And
          the SA provides extraordinary services in the areas they serve, such as
          paying back mortgage and rent payments, utilities, giving away gift cards
          for prescriptions and groceries to both the elderly and the poor.

          Okay, so maybe not 'lastly'...

          They are behind in modern messaging for their campaigns, perhaps this would
          make a great pro bono or gratis gift. Sometimes non-profits or people in
          general don't know what they need until it is demonstrated.

          On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Ned Barnett <ned@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I just heard/saw it again - another commercial, one for which an
          > organization paid thousands of dollars, that offered contact information
          > that is all but totally useless.
          >
          > What?
          >
          > Simply this. The Salvation Army, at the end of an ad pitching themselves as
          > the recipients of the donation of goods which can be sold, says, "to
          > arrange
          > a pickup, call 1-800-SA-TRUCK ."
          >
          > Now, take a moment and look at your smart phone (the kind of phone most
          > people now use, for personal and business calls), and try to figure out how
          > to accurately dial "1-800-SA-TRUCK" . you can't do it. On those rare
          > occasions when I really want to respond to one of these, I have to go
          > online
          > and look up a traditional phone keypad, so I know how to dial those
          > letters.
          >
          > Once upon a time, it made a lot of marketing sense to have a phone number
          > you could spell out - but that "once upon a time" began to disappear back
          > when Blackberry phones first became the preferred phone of the hip and
          > business-oriented . then came along Steve Jobs' remarkable innovation, the
          > iPhone, quickly followed by the Smart Phone for everybody else, the Android
          > (which now owns 42% of the Smart Phone market, exceeding iPhone and nearly
          > matching all competitors together).
          >
          > Today, those cute mnemonic phone numbers are not only no longer useful, but
          > they are counterproductive, since they can't be dialed - and because people
          > who look at them think, "these people are so 1999 ."
          >
          > So, once again, I rant and inveigle against those once-useful phone
          > "numbers" which have no numbers.
          >
          > Obviously, I have too much time on my hands .
          >
          > Ned
          >
          > Ned Barnett, APR
          >
          > Marketing & PR Fellow, American Hospital Association
          >
          > Barnett Marketing Communications
          >
          > 420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3-276 - Las Vegas NV 89110
          >
          > 702-561-1167 - cell/text
          >
          > <http://www.barnettmarcom.com> www.barnettmarcom.com - twitter @nedbarnett
          >
          > <http://pr-marketing2point0.blogspot.com/>
          > http://pr-marketing2point0.blogspot.com/
          >
          > 05-6-16 BMC Logo

          r o b i n m. c a l d w e l l
          cleveland | new york | wherever
          p(646) 807-8637
          Twitter: @thejstandard <http://twitter.com/thejstandard>
          Blog: <http://mediatechpr.com/>MEdia | Tech | P.
          R.<http://mediatechpr.com/>
          Website: The J Standard Media Group <http://thejstandard.com>
          *
          *
          *This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
          this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are
          reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.*
          *

          *

        • Ron Antonette
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2011
            Important point: They also own this website, http://satruck.com/

            Ron Antonette
            R. Antonette Communications | Long Beach, Calif.
            Bus: 562.546.3662

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2011
              Robin - I'd buy everything you say, except .

              1. Not every old person uses landlines

              2. Not every donor to SA (not by a long shot) are old

              3. It's easy to include the numeric along with the alphabetic - but
              they didn't

              4. And finally, I used this as an example of a common mistake made by
              organizations and corporations other than just Salvation Army - I just used
              them as a launch-point for this rant, but I could have used much
              younger-demographic organizations

              One final thing - "old" is now much older than it used to be. My mother is
              85 and she's old, but my business partner Frank is not old, and he's 66 (and
              uses an iPhone exclusively). Old is a moving target, IMO.

              And Rob (not Robin), I think you're wrong about the saturation of smart
              phones and the diminishing number of land-lines out there. And there's a
              wrinkle - for instance (and I'm sure I'm not alone), my landline is for my
              fax machine, not for my phone. I got rid of my landline phone a couple of
              years ago because I never used it, and in fact I had it forwarded to my
              cell, and only got the Fax because someone else was paying for it, so I'd
              have a fax line in my home office.

              Anyway, I stand by my rant - alphabetic-only phone "numbers" are a big
              mistake, excluding a big percentage of the population, and to no good
              purpose.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2011
                Yes, and that was prominently in their advertisement. And it does mitigate
                the faux pas a bit, Ron. Still, it would have been easy to put the numeric
                along with the alphabetic - and not every company or organization that has
                an alphabetic phone "number" also has the same name as a URL.

                <mailto:ron@... <mailto:ron%40rantonette.com> >
                ron@... <mailto:ron%40rantonette.com>

                From: prbytes@yahoogroups.com <mailto:prbytes%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 13, 2011
                  Well, *goooood* morning to you, Ned! LOL My answers are in red below.