xp - finding court-appointed attorneys

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
      Does anyone know if lists of court-appointed attorneys in the various states
      are readily available online or from some other source? I hope to do PR and
      marketing for a firm selling into that market soon, and right now they're in
      a panic - they assumed that the lists would be readily available, and now
      they're having nightmares over "what if they're not?"

      I've tried some Google key words with no luck myself, but I'm generically
      lousy at those searches.

      Help much appreciated.

    • Geri Wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
        ned -
        i would make a quick call to the public information officer of a superior
        court (like L.A. County Superior Court), and ask them. i probably wouldn't
        go into detail about how/why i wanted it. i'd just ask if such a list
        existed and how could i get a copy.
        best -
        geri

        geri wilson
        the jonathan group
        - marketing for business -
        626.403.6741

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
          Thanks, Geri - I was hoping for something a bit more "automated," but this
          is a good idea and it may be the best idea.

          As always, I really appreciate your helpful insights.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
            You can buy those lists. A Simple Google Search will find hundreds of organizations.

            The top one on my search was US Data Corporation.com

            Good luck.
            On Mar 14, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Geri Wilson wrote:

            > ned -
            > i would make a quick call to the public information officer of a superior
            > court (like L.A. County Superior Court), and ask them. i probably wouldn't
            > go into detail about how/why i wanted it. i'd just ask if such a list
            > existed and how could i get a copy.
            > best -
            > geri
            >
            > geri wilson
            > the jonathan group
            > - marketing for business -
            > 626.403.6741
            >

            > _____

          • Cyrus Afzali
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
              Ned,

              It will be hard in many cases to sell specifically to this market. The main
              reason is that most states' ethics rules require every licensed attorney to
              do a certain amount of pro-bono work, which is basically what
              court-appointed attorneys are doing. Also, you have other systems such as in
              NYC where a contract is given to a non-profit organization, such as the
              Legal Aid Society, to serve as legal counselors to those who can't afford an
              attorney.

              Basically, in most cases, you'll be marketing to all consumer litigation
              firms because these folks are also the ones that handle most of the pro-bono
              cases.

              Cyrus

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
                My experience, Ana, is that they rent lists for email blasts (which they
                then do) - they don't sell lists. Am I wrong in that?

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
                  Cyrus - I appreciate your insights and concerns, and you're right as far as
                  it goes. However, there are more than 50,000 attorneys in the US who do the
                  bulk (or all) of their practice as court-appointed attorneys, and those are
                  our targets. We're not targeting either Legal Aid or pro-bono attorneys,
                  but the full-time folks whose careers are court-appointed (but reimbursed)
                  attorneys.

                  Thanks again for your insights.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
                    You can buy and rent.