Funny-haha or funny-irate

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2010
      We had a major Christian network's talk show on a hit list for a nonprofit group working for inter-cultural compassion and peace. They responded and asked the president to come on as a guest. Way cool. They gave us a date and we filled out the forms with all the background, bio and contact info - you know the drill. This was back in November.

      Then they bumped her to today. OK, no problem. The client is in DC and the show tapes in Dallas, so she had to change her plane and hotel reservations, but no worries.

      A few weeks ago we checked in with the producer to make sure she was still on the schedule. She is. The producer asks what church she goes to. We respond (to refresh producer's memory) that she's not coming on to promote her church, but to talk about her nonprofit. Oh, okay.

      Producer then emails to ask "is she Christian?" We say yes. (She was raised Catholic but doesn't attend a church.)

      Fast-forward to today, 15 minutes to air time. Client is on set and again they ask her what church she goes to. She explains (again) what she is there to talk about. They look at the nonprofit's website, decide that it's "new age," and refuse to allow her on.

      Another producer spends an hour and a half battering her verbally about her going to hell unless she's "saved." Client listens to him politely, since that's her way. Then she gets her car and returns to the airport.

      Apparently peace and compassion is too "new age" for the Christian audience.

      I don't argue with their right to only have their narrowly defined idea of Christians as guests, but this was about the most unprofessional conduct I've ever experienced. Evidently nobody bothered to look at the website before they caught our pitch, nor review the forms we sent back (such as her bio that says she's taught meditation for 30 years).

      Then instead of apologizing, they berate her.

      Such irony. These people who desperately need to hear a message of inclusiveness and understanding. Too bad they don't allow that on their program.
    • Sam Waltz
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2010
        Kezia Jauron, re your Comment / Query (not certain that it was a Query) re:
        your Inter-Cultural Compassion and Peace Client who sought out coverage on
        what you describe as a Major Christian Network to advance her personal
        Organizational Cause, and then a Christian Network Representative(s) behaved
        in what you described as an unprofessional way in not putting her on the air
        when she finally was forced to disclose at the last minute that she did not
        attend any Church, whereupon she was lectured ("berated" was your word)
        about her spiritual beliefs / practices.

        Well.

        A few thoughts.

        1. To your point, I agree, no excuse exists for
        Unprofessional Behavior, although each of us sees it, and most likely each
        of us is guilty of it on occasion, since (arguably a universal precept, not
        just a Christian one) none of us is perfect.

        Sometimes, though, what appears to be unprofessional behavior is simply
        someone doing her / his job, e.g., the Cop who asks someone, "have you been
        drinking?" may seem rude or impertinent, but (s)he's just doing the Cop's
        job.

        Arguably, the job of employees of a Christian network are to be evangelists
        and missionaries for their cause, for their employer, and not championing or
        advocating that stance might be a reason for dismissal, at the worst, and
        could be dereliction of duty, at the least. Their job, I'd guess, is not to
        be Objective Journalists and not take sides.;

        2. To your point, again I can personally agree with you that
        as individuals they likely "need to hear a message of inclusiveness and
        understanding".

        But, that's your view, and it's my own, but clearly it is not their view,
        and who the heck are we to tell them how they should live their lives and
        practice their profession?

        Frankly, if you and I go around telling someone they need to "hear a
        message" in order to be a better person, or a better professional, is that
        not just a bit arrogant on our part? We own the truth and they don't, the
        poor fools!;

        3. Different Media Relations Rules for Themed Media (with an
        Orientation or a Philosophy) today - whether a Website or a Special Interest
        Broadcast, CableCast or Publication - is a reality that we kid ourselves by
        ignoring.

        They are not CBS, NBC or ABC (heck, even CBS, NBC and ABC are not what they
        were just a decade or two ago, either!), and they're buying the Broadcast
        Assets and Cable Time, so they can set their own rules;

        4. Given that reality, and knowing what anyone should know
        about the Spiritual / Cultural Predisposition of a Christian Network, then
        don't you think it was a bit disingenuous of your Inter-Cultural Compassion
        and Peace Client not to be transparent and open in seeking the audience of a
        Christian Network in the first place?

        The Client's first clue should have been when the Client was asked about
        Church attendance (before she ever invested to travel to Texas), and
        arguably the Client's error in judgment at that point was a deliberate
        failure to disclose (read that an attempt to hide) that she was not a
        "Believer" in the same way that they are, defined in part by Church
        Attendance, whether she believed that should be irrelevant to her message

        5. "Disclosure, not Exposure" always has been my counsel on
        Issues Management / Crisis Management, going back to my days in the Chemical
        Industry for the DuPont Company 1977-93. That has evolved to a contemporary
        ethic in our field of "Transparency," and that's a reasonable assumption or
        standard to make about darn anything.

        I would humbly question whether your Client's failure to Disclose, to be
        Transparent, made this incident inevitable. I'm afraid I didn't see that
        reflection (or understanding or insight) in your description of the
        incident, just the assertion that the Network folks need "to hear a message"
        in order to be better people, or better broadcasters. Don't you think all
        this awkwardness, embarrassment and expense would likely have been
        eliminated if your Client was more direct, open, candid and transparent?

        I believe, as your Client likely does, that America has become a better
        place because of its multi-culturalism, and ultimately that will be a
        strength or an asset for our society and community. But multi-culturalism
        is just not about Race or Ethnicity. It's not just about Gender or Gender
        Identity or Gender Preference. It's not just about Age or Handicap or
        Language. It has to embrace Religion and Spiritual multi-culturalism as
        well.

        Periodically, I'll read about a Parochial School Teacher who is shocked and
        amazed when (s)he is dismissed as a teacher for publicly advocating Abortion
        or ProChoice views, sometimes in the news media, sometimes in the classroom.
        Well, as my wife says, "Pick a Clue from the Clue Basket." If you
        voluntarily sign on to teach in a Parochial School, which is an extension of
        the Church and its Spiritual Beliefs, and if you choose to run 180 degrees
        counter to those in public statements on its most lightening rod issue, then
        be prepared to find another job.

        I'm a big First Amendment person, as a former Journalist, and I even chaired
        a BiCentennial First Amendment program here in Delaware in 1991. But,
        having said that, Political Correctness is offensive. And the idea that we
        can or should go into someone else's business (even a Christian Broadcaster)
        and be willing to imply they need "to hear a message" because their notion
        of evangelism conflicts with our World View just doesn't cut it.

        Final Comment, frankly, I'm wired very much like your Client, I'd guess.

        I was raised a Christian (a MidWestern Church of Christ Protestant) in my
        case, and I continue to feel a strong personal monotheistic spirituality and
        communion, although I've not been a regular church attender in 5 or 6 years,
        and I do actively volunteer for both Protestant (Cathedral Choir School) and
        Roman Catholic (Little Sisters of the Poor, where I'm Board VP) and
        non-denominational (Delaware Leadership Foundation Prayer Breakfast) causes
        as part of my personal concept of Christian service.

        In terms of practicing disclosure, in the Catholic environment where I give
        hundreds of hours of service a year around the Little Sisters and Priests (a
        close personal friend is a Bishop), I always jokingly say that "I'm your
        token Protestant!" (In fact, when I chaired a Centennial Event a decade for
        the Little Sisters, the Bishop who presided at the Mass asked me later in
        the Church yard, "by the way, Sam, where do you attend Church?" I'm certain
        he thought I'd mention a Parish like 'Our Lady of the Sainted.' whatever.
        "Bishop, I attend Trinity Episcopal," I told him. His eyes narrowed a bit,
        he squinted, and he told me, "Sam, do you know what we call an Episcopalian?
        It's a Catholic who makes over $100,000 a year!" And we both laughed.)

        But we need always to be wary of elite philosophies and behaviors that
        suggest that we know better than you about how you should live and work,
        with the implication that we can be part of changing you to make you better.
        Just as someone might not invite in a church representative to their home or
        workplace to tell them that, we need to be careful about going into their
        homes and workplaces and telling them to "lighten up" and learn to be a
        better person.

        =======================================

        Samuel L. Waltz Jr., Counselor to LeadersT

        Sam Waltz & Associates LLC Counsel

        302 . 777 . 4774 office

        302 . 777 . 7774 mobile

        <mailto:SamWaltz@...> SamWaltz@...

        <http://www.SamWaltz.com> www.SamWaltz.com <http://www.RLSassociates.com>
        www.RLSassociates.com

        <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/SamWaltz> http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/SamWaltz

        http://www.Facebook.com/

        cid:image001.jpg@01C94A39.299B88A0

        Helping Leaders & Organizations Navigate

        Difficult Events, Trends, Times, People & Issues

        to Achieve Their Goals!

        HQs / Office / Meeting Address:

        1521 Concord Pike, Suite 301, Brandywine West Bldg

        (1st Bldg on R @ US Route 202 @ Foulk Road / DE 261)

        Wilmington, DE 19803.3642

        Postal Mailing Address:

        110 Ponds Lane, Ponds at Greenville

        Wilmington, DE 19807.2129

        =======================================

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2010
          Hi Sam --

          I had drafted a response that echoed many of the same points yours covered
          even better. For some unknown reason, my Outlook Express crashed and I lost
          the draft. Now I know why. There are no coincidences.

          The only thing mine might have also covered was an attempt at understanding
          the Christian producer's role as "defender of the faith" against "false
          prophets" as found throughout the Bible. For example, Jeremiah 23:16 -- This
          is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Do not listen to what the prophets are
          prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from
          their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD.'" I also mentioned the
          Christian perspective that "meditation" in the Eastern religions' sense
          (read: Buddhism' focus on self healing, etc.) counters the Christian view
          that "all things come through Christ." For example, Philippians 4:13 -- "I
          can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."

          Thanks for articulating so effectively on what could be seen as too
          "sensitive" a subject by the PC'ers.

          Stephen
          STEPHEN RAFE
          RAPPORT COMMUNICATIONS

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2010
            People like that give Christians (and radio stations) a bad name. If I was
            advertising on them, I'd cancel based on this. As the Three Stooges used to
            say, "what a maroon ."

            Ned Barnett, APR

            Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

            Barnett Marketing Communications

            420 N. Nellis Blvd. A3-276

            Las Vegas NV 89110

            702-696-1200 - ned@...

            http://www.barnettmarcom.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 12, 2010
              Stephen, thank you kindly and warmly for your thoughts. I appreciate the
              validation from a so-learned colleague. Warmest, Sam

              =======================================

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 12, 2010
                Taking religion aside, this is a great learning experience.

                Moving forward, I would suggest you create a "media interview confirmation grid/letter" and forward to the news assignment contact that confirmed the interview - IMMEDIATELY after you confirm the interview. Once the interview grid/letter is APPROVED, signed and dated by the producer/reporter, THEN confirm with your client.

                That grid should list ALL the details of the interview, including:

                - Interview date and arrival time
                - Interview location and parking information
                - Duration of interview
                - Air or print date
                - Show/program name or print "section"
                - Additional interview needs (i.e. b-roll, head shots, dress code, etc.)
                - Confirmed "deliverables" (i.e. tape/DVD of interview, PDF, etc.)
                - Topic of interview
                - Sample questions
                - Spokesperson name and contact details
                - Spokesperson (mini) bio
                - PR rep name and contact details
                - News assignment/editor contact details (day-of contact)
                - Producer/reporter contact details (ALWAYS connect prior to the scheduled interview to CONFIRM all the details)
                - Travel information/local contact information (for clients traveling)

                It's also very important to include an interview "cancelation clause." i.e. "In the event of interview cancelation, .... etc."

                We send this grid/letter to our client with travel instructions, maps and any other pertinent information.

                Hope this helps!
                --
                Ana Lydia Ochoa
                padma media & marketing, Inc.

                Twitter.com/LatinaPRpro
                LinkedIn.com/AnaLydiaOchoa
                Facebook.com/pages/Los-Angeles-CA/padma-media-marketing/8757051745

                <mailto:SamWaltz@SamWaltz. com> SamWaltz@SamWaltz. com