Re: [prbytes] XP - When do people start shopping/buying for Christmas (and who does the shopping)?

  • ana lydia ochoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2009
      Ned,

      If you have time and access, try researching Trend Reports (They are mostly available at colleges that offer marketing and/or fashion degrees - think FIDM).

      And although you may get various comments and even strong feedback from the group, nothing backs up quote better than published reports.

      Just a thought.

      P.S. Low-income families also shop for the holidays and areas that are low-income have high net-worth purchasing pockets - think Huntington Park (La Alameda is breaking records for Marshalls, Petco, etc.).

      --
      Ana Lydia Ochoa
      padma media & marketing, Inc.

      Twitter.com/LatinaPRpro
      LinkedIn.com/AnaLydiaOchoa
      Facebook.com/pages/Los-Angeles-CA/padma-media-marketing/8757051745

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2009
        Thanks for the lead, Ana, and thanks for the reminder about low-income
        locations in the US. Since the average low income family has a television,
        a car and air conditioning, they are in no way equated with the wrenching
        poverty seen in the third world, and those who ignore what seems to be “low
        income” as a market do so at their loss.

        I’ve marketed heavily into the Cuban markets in Tampa and Miami, and while
        many who don’t know better consider those low income (especially a
        generation or more ago), they’d have been sorely mistaken.

        And in the Midwest rust-belt and deep South of my youth and young adulthood,
        it was a truth beyond any cliché that seemingly poor black families
        nonetheless owned – and maintained very well – high-value American cars from
        Detroit, especially the large and powerful V-8-powered cars (Cadillacs,
        Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Crown Vics, Lincolns). Though I never looked into it,
        I presume that they put more value on investing their expendable income in
        Detroit heavy iron rather than in housing or other amenities preferred by
        other sub-groups in America at that time (when I was coming up, my own
        middle class first-generation-away-from-blue-collar family and their peer
        group valued a house with one bedroom per occupant, and were willing to be
        house-poor and drive used Volkswagens and hand-me-down 4- and 6-cylander
        cars). My nuclear family’s peer group consisted largely of men who’d
        finished college on the G.I. bill and chose housing for its school district,
        preferring college-prep school neighborhood over trades-prep school
        neighborhoods (however, my extended family was mostly still in the
        Midwestern rust-belt blue collar environment of the not-upwardly-mobile
        middle class/working class who had smaller, older houses and bigger,
        flashier cars).

        My point, echoing yours – different groups (social, ethnic, cultural groups)
        have different spending priorities – and just because some appear to have
        different standards from your own doesn’t mean that the don’t have
        disposable income and an eagerness to spend on their own priority areas.
        Good reminder, Ana – thanks.

        http://www.barnettmarcom.com

        From: Ned Barnett <ned@... <mailto:ned%40barnettmarcom.com> >
        To: PRMindshare@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PRMindshare%40yahoogroups.com> ;