Re: [prbytes] Re: Twitter

  • Aboriginals%3A%20Art%20of%20the%20First%2
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2009
      Paul:

      I will be your follower on Twitter. LOL

      Seriously, though, my take on Twitter and the other SM, such as Facebook and LinkedIn, is that they are - in many ways - variations on the old(er) listservs and Yahoo groups. They just are more open in their membership.

      As the membership expands, they become more like the old "push" world of marketing and less like the new "pull" world.

      I probably am oversimplifying but, as with those older media, there is a large component of guess work and waste. You tweet and there is no assurance that any significant number of people will be reached by your message or moved by it.

      It also requires considerable skill and care to craft a message that is both interesting to the audience and productive to the sender. The sender is required to send a personal-style message seeking a commercial response. Always difficult. In Twitter's case it is made more difficult by the character length restriction.

      My chief regret about the SM is that they encourage verbal shortcuts - "u" instead of "you", "4" instead of "for". I love language. It grieves me to see the beauty of language butchered by the triumph of brevity over eloquence.

      Two things seem true about SM: You never get back more than you put in. You often put in more than you get back. Kind of like the media of old, as I think about it.

      Bill Waites, Eyewriter, FreeLanceWords