XP - PR Guidelines - A Flow Chart For Responding to Bloggers

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2009
      A client of ours was interviewed last week in Software CEO and got a very
      nice write-up
      http://www.softwareceo.com/products_services/hp_article.aspx?arttype=TT
      <http://www.softwareceo.com/products_services/hp_article.aspx?arttype=TT&pag
      e=0> &page=0 - but later in the article (which is a grab-bag of tips) I
      found this little gem that I thought I'd share. It's a bit abbreviated, but
      worth considering.

      The one issue I'd take is "timeliness" - while you don't want to rush in
      without taking time to think, the blogosphere works on Internet Time and if
      you're not out there with a solid response in Internet Time, you might as
      well not go out there at all. OK - here it is:

      A flowchart for responding to bloggers
      Miffed about what some bloggers are saying about your company?

      It happens to everyone. But how to respond without flying off the handle,
      and blowing your online reputation?

      Software marketers would do well to check out the
      <http://www.airforce.com/> U.S. Air Force flowchart
      <http://www.webinknow.com/2009/01/us-air-force-web-posting-response-assessme
      nt.html> for how to asses and respond to bloggers.

      The bottom line: Don't bother answering any rants, jokes, satire, rage, or
      degrading posts. Just continue monitoring those sources.

      If there are errors in a post, consider fixing the facts. And if the blogger
      is an "unhappy customer," consider offering a reasonable solution.

      Here are the Air Force's overall considerations for posting responses to
      bloggers:

      * Transparency - disclose your connection to the organization
      * Sourcing - cite and link to your sources
      * Timeliness - don't rush, take your time to craft a good response
      * Tone - respond in a tone that reflects well on your organization's
      reputation
      * Influence - focus on the most popular sites related to your
      organization.

      Ned Barnett, APR

      Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

      Barnett Marketing Communications

      420 N. Nellis Blvd. A3-276

      Las Vegas NV 89110

      702-696-1200 - ned@...