PR Tools for 2009 (please add on)

  • pr.pros
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      I am listing the only tools that I know of that really has helped me
      out-does anyone have listservs or any links that help PRs get to the
      right person?

      1. http://www.helpareporter.com/
      2. http://www.pitchengine.com/ (HAVENT TRIED but saw on twitter)
      3. http://www.mediabistro.com
      4. this egroups (please list any that you think we should add)

      I am not sure if this was done before but perhaps we can kick this off
      for 2009?
    • Stephen Rafe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        Hmmmm.

        Stephen
        STEPHEN RAFE
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
          I don't know him.  Isn't spam.  Something told me to not even post that link.

          Does anyone have anything to add?

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
            Dear pr.pros

            First, I suggest that if you want the help of your colleagues, you let us
            know who you are. It's just professionally courteous to sign your emails,
            especially if you're not well-known on the list - plus, you're more likely
            to get helpful answers.

            Second, if you're going to be a pr.pro, I suggest you work on improving your
            grammar and syntax; frankly, your message came across like a student's query
            for a paper, and this list doesn't particularly welcome students asking us
            to do their class work for them (that happens more than you might think).
            Of course, it could just be a typo - God knows how many of those I've
            "committed" - but when asking for help, I suggest you put your best foot
            forward.

            Third, and this is the biggie, if you're asking for help, you might want to
            set the stage by telling us why you want that help. Give us something that
            would put your question in context.

            For instance, while I'm not the world's Guru on online resources, I do know
            that I'm now in my 37th year in PR, and that since 1994, many of my clients
            and most of my communications (with clients and the media) have taken place
            online. Yet I don't have a clue what you're really asking, nor what you
            really want that information for.

            I can tell you that lots of people speak highly of Peter Shankman's Help a
            Reporter site - I've not yet found it helpful, but then I haven't invested
            the time needed to work that list. I generally stick to ProfNet, but then
            again, that's personal choice (and an expensive one) which has born fruit
            for me since the late 90s. I can't be totally objective about Peter's site
            - he and I had a falling out a few years ago, and my recent lack of postings
            from that list suggest that Peter's not yet ready to let bygones be bygones
            - but that's got nothing to do with his service. I know my webmaster thinks
            highly of it.

            I've never heard of Pitch Engine - it may be one of those multi-million
            spring-up-from-nothing PR sites that seem to have proliferated. I get
            postings almost daily from half a dozen social networking sites that send me
            (to me, useless) information about PR . perhaps this is one of them. Or
            perhaps it's the best thing since sliced bread. Since I've got no clue what
            you want it for, I can't even check the site out and give you an opinion.

            I've at least heard of Media Bistro, but since I'm not looking to have lunch
            with a reporter (they always stick me with the check) and because I've found
            Internet meals to be way-low in calories (I prefer analog meals to digital),
            I can't give you an opinion there, either.

            So . let us know who you are, why you're asking and what you're hoping to do
            with the information, and some of us may be able to help.

            As for kicking this off for 2009, kicking what off? Another online list of
            PR resources nobody's got time to work with? Or collecting unclear and
            unfocused emails? Give us a clue, here, pr.pros, what do you have in mind?
            How will kicking "this" off for 2009 help us? Maybe this is the best idea
            of the 21st Century, but based on what you've told us (and, more important,
            what you haven't told us), I don't have a clue. I suspect none of the others
            here on this list do, either. However, they're more polite than I am, and
            are waiting for some curmudgeon like me to ask. So here you go - the ball's
            back in your court.

            Give us a clue? Thanks

            Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

            Barnett Marketing Communications

            420 N. Nellis Blvd. A3-276

            Las Vegas NV 89110

            702-696-1200 - ned@...

            http://www.barnettmarcom.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
              agree 100% Ned.

              That's not PR, that's spam.

              On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Ned Barnett <ned@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > As for kicking this off for 2009, kicking what off? Another online list of
              > PR resources nobody's got time to work with? Or collecting unclear and
              > unfocused emails? Give us a clue, here, pr.pros, what do you have in mind?
              > How will kicking "this" off for 2009 help us? Maybe this is the best idea
              > of the 21st Century, but based on what you've told us (and, more important,
              > what you haven't told us), I don't have a clue. I suspect none of the
              > others
              > here on this list do, either. However, they're more polite than I am, and
              > are waiting for some curmudgeon like me to ask. So here you go - the ball's
              > back in your court.
              >
              > Give us a clue? Thanks
              >
              > Ned
              >
              > Ned Barnett, APR
              >
              > Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

              -Edu Giansante
              http://edugiansante.com
              http://www.e-dublin.com.br

            • pr.pros
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 8, 2009
                Please contact their owner. You are paranoid.

                Corrective criticism Ned, your website sucks.

                I didn't spam this group. I wanted to start a list of tools for PR
                professionals. It appears to me that I walked into a room filled
                with uptight, self-righteous, judgemental, paranoid..and let me not
                forget RUDE individuals.

                Sorry to crash this party.

                Moderator, please kindly remove me from this group. And, do you
                honesttttlllly think that I'd put MY link to a EMAIL GROUP without
                engaging you -- FIRST about my product. That's true EMAIL MARKETING.

                You are ALL rude!

                I hope that I am allowed to have a rebuttal since my posts are
                moderated. These jerks are trulllllllly closed minded.

                -- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "Eduardo Giansante" <edubatera@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > > unfocused emails? Give us a clue, here, pr.pros, what do you have
                in mind?
                > > How will kicking "this" off for 2009 help us? Maybe this is the
                best idea
                > > of the 21st Century, but based on what you've told us (and, more
                important,
                > > what you haven't told us), I don't have a clue. I suspect none of
                the
                > > others
                > > here on this list do, either. However, they're more polite than I
                am, and
                > > are waiting for some curmudgeon like me to ask. So here you go -
                the ball's
                > > back in your court.
                > >
                > > Give us a clue? Thanks
                > >
                > > Ned
                > >
                > > Ned Barnett, APR
                > >
                > > Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

              • Rich
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 8, 2009
                  First, please allow me to clarify. I am not a pr pro. I'm a writer and a reporter. Reading the postings below, I regret that these interactions did not fare well. However, as with any situation, there is always something to be learned. The most recent posting, from pr.pros (and please forgive my ignorance as I have not looked back at all the postings that prompted this exchange), suggests a degree of animosity. I am not here to judge whether that animosity is justified or not. Rather, it simply made me think of a situation I dealt with while writing for a newspaper. I'll write up a short description of that situation below. For the briefer version of that story, suffice it to say that the person in the pr position became angry with me because she didn't like a question that I asked. As a reporter, it wasn't my job to ask questions she liked. She should have anticipated the possibility that I would ask difficult questions. More importantly, when, as I saw
                  it, she lost her temper, she shut the door on open communication. In my mind, it's the equivalent of a public relations agent waving the white flag. There may be times when it is appropriate for a pr agent to be gruff or impatient with a reporter, though I'm not sure when that would be the case. However, if the woman's behavior was appropriate, then most businesses could save themselves the cost of public relations and, instead of hiring anyone to perform these duties, merely inform their receptionists to hang up immediately anytime someone from the media calls.

                  I recently sent a posting to this site informing our membership about the new company I have started -- Positive Action Development (positiveaction.vpweb.com). Included in the posting was a link to my new Web site. If anyone wants to take a look at it, I would appreciate your input, even if your response is to tell me that my Web site "sucks." If you think that it does, I would be thrilled if you provide a slightly deeper explanation of why it sucks. I promise you, I won't be angry and I won't ask to be removed from the group because of any such comments.

                  A fuller account of the story from above (everthing stated above and below related to this issue constitutes my personal opinion):
                  While serving as a sports editor with a weekly newspaper (it was a small paper and my responsibilities went beyond sports), I was covering a story about a 70-percent increase in the number of animals euthanized by the county's animal control department. Animal Control, a division of the county's health department, was in a virtual war with the volunteers at the animal control center as the volunteers were deeply upset by the increased number of animals that were put down. The head of the animal control center was eventually removed from her position and given a new job within the health department. The communications officer for the health department (the governmental equivalent of a public relations agent) took over as the interim director of animal control. Of course, she also served as a primary source and contact as I worked on the series of stories that came out of the controversy.
                  Eventualy, the health department hired a new director for animal control. I was given an opportunity to come in for an interview of the new director. The communications officer was also there. In fact, I felt that she took control of the inteview, held it to a limited perioed of time based on what she described as prior commitments (which hadn't come to the surface when we setup the appointment) and then interceded to answer the majority of the questions I posed to the new director. My sense, afterwards, was that the inteview was too short and only scratched the surface in terms of the information I hoped to gleen from it. As the interview was ending, however, one piece of rather startling information did come to light. The prior position held by the new director of animal control was managing and caring for animals for a pharmaceutical company in the region. In other words, he took care of the animals used for experiments.
                  Such a revelation was not likely to calm the waters as far as the volunteers were concerned. In fact, I felt that it seemed like a rather odd hire considering the situation that, as I understood, had brought on the need to bring in a new director in the first place. Such a background did not mean that he was the wrong person for the position. However, it would have been extremely unprofessional of me not to pursue the question further. As I was not given a chance to do so at the time of our scheduled interview, I attempted to contact the new director hoping for a chance to ask him about the issue and, at the same time, hoping to fill out the interview without, what I saw as, the communications officer's interference. My calls were not returned. I even went back to the center but was unable to meet with the new director. I had the distinct impression I was being avoided (incidently, and just something to consider for future reference, when a reporter
                  feels he or she is being avoided, it automatically sets off alarms in the reporter's head).
                  I then called the communications officer and asked her if I could speak with the new director again. She suggested that he was too busy and I, therefore, posed my questions directly to her.
                  I felt she was not entirely receptive to the question about his prior experience. Finally, I pointed out to her that, when I told the readers, inlcluding the volunteers, that he was hired from work with an animal laboratory, the readers and volunteers would probably think the health department had essentially "let the fox loose in the hen house." Her reaction, in my opinion, was to go balistic. She yelled at me and hung up.
                  I did not agree with the way the publisher and editor at the newspaper I worked for handled the situation when I brought it to their attention. The publisher spoke of the need to give the new director a chance. My sense was that we best gave him a chance by allowing him to respond to the concerns his past experience raised. If he and the communications officer refused to answer my calls or respond, such should be duly noted in the story. While the issue of his background was included in the story it was not as high in the story as I would have seen fit were it my call. As a result, in my opinion, the communications officer was fortunate. If it was my call, the new director's background would have been the focus of the headline and the primary focus of the story.
                  While the communications offficer may have been fortunate in this instance, what she had developed with me, a reporter she might have to deal with in the future, was an adversarial relationship and, for me, a question of trust. In other words, anytime I had to speak with her again, whatever she told me would run through a finer filter than what might otherwise have been the case.

                  Richard Rostron, President
                  Positive Action Development
                  1112 N. Madison St.
                  Woodstock, IL 60098
                  (815) 690-8433
                  pad_services@...
                  positiveaction.vpweb.com

                  ________________________________

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > unfocused emails? Give us a clue, here, pr.pros, what do you have
                  in mind?
                  > > How will kicking "this" off for 2009 help us? Maybe this is the
                  best idea
                  > > of the 21st Century, but based on what you've told us (and, more
                  important,
                  > > what you haven't told us), I don't have a clue. I suspect none of
                  the
                  > > others
                  > > here on this list do, either. However, they're more polite than I
                  am, and
                  > > are waiting for some curmudgeon like me to ask. So here you go -
                  the ball's
                  > > back in your court.
                  > >
                  > > Give us a clue? Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Ned
                  > >
                  > > Ned Barnett, APR
                  > >
                  > > Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 8, 2009
                    (I've fixed the link to my Web site in this posting)

                    ________________________________
[...]

                    pad_services@ live.com
                    positiveaction. vpweb.com

                    ____________ _________ _________ __

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > unfocused emails? Give us a clue, here, pr.pros, what do you have
                    in mind?
                    > > How will kicking "this" off for 2009 help us? Maybe this is the
                    best idea
                    > > of the 21st Century, but based on what you've told us (and, more
                    important,
                    > > what you haven't told us), I don't have a clue. I suspect none of
                    the
                    > > others
                    > > here on this list do, either. However, they're more polite than I
                    am, and
                    > > are waiting for some curmudgeon like me to ask. So here you go -
                    the ball's
                    > > back in your court.
                    > >
                    > > Give us a clue? Thanks
                    > >
                    > > Ned
                    > >
                    > > Ned Barnett, APR
                    > >
                    > > Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

                  • Duncan Matheson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 8, 2009
                      It's communications people who act like that that give us a bad name. First
                      question is why was she sitting in on the interview in the first place? I
                      agree she dodged a bullet because of the response of the newspaper
                      management. Her reaction suggests there was much fear over the guy's BG and
                      that it was not something they were comfortable with. I expect it would lead
                      to more anxiety by the staff, which means there's another chapter to be
                      written. Be interested to know how it plays out. Interesting case study.

                      Duncan Matheson

                      Bissett Matheson Communications Ltd.

                      Fredericton office (506) 457-1627

                      www.bissettmatheson.com

                      _____

[...]

                      pad_services@ <mailto:pad_services%40live.com> live.com
                      positiveaction.vpweb.com

                      ________________________________

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > > unfocused emails? Give us a clue, here, pr.pros, what do you have
                      in mind?
                      > > How will kicking "this" off for 2009 help us? Maybe this is the
                      best idea
                      > > of the 21st Century, but based on what you've told us (and, more
                      important,
                      > > what you haven't told us), I don't have a clue. I suspect none of
                      the
                      > > others
                      > > here on this list do, either. However, they're more polite than I
                      am, and
                      > > are waiting for some curmudgeon like me to ask. So here you go -
                      the ball's
                      > > back in your court.
                      > >
                      > > Give us a clue? Thanks
                      > >
                      > > Ned
                      > >
                      > > Ned Barnett, APR
                      > >
                      > > Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

                    • Rich
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 8, 2009
                        Duncan,
                        You're absolutely correct. I suspect she sat in on the interview specifically to divert attention from the very issue that I tried to pursue with her later. The last I heard of the situation (I left that publication more than two years ago), there were still problems at animal control. I suspect, were the communications officer working in the private sector, either she never would have gotten away with such behavior, at least not for long, or she would have known better. I believe that she exhibited a degree of arrogance and I suspect it had something to do with a syndrome that is more common among people occupied in government bureaucracies. Still, I've also experienced officials in the private sector who had a circle-the-wagons mentality when they anticipated negative publicity. My sense is such a reaction, in the long run, only makes matters worse.
                        Rich Rostron

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > unfocused emails? Give us a clue, here, pr.pros, what do you have
                        in mind?
                        > > How will kicking "this" off for 2009 help us? Maybe this is the
                        best idea
                        > > of the 21st Century, but based on what you've told us (and, more
                        important,
                        > > what you haven't told us), I don't have a clue. I suspect none of
                        the
                        > > others
                        > > here on this list do, either. However, they're more polite than I
                        am, and
                        > > are waiting for some curmudgeon like me to ask. So here you go -
                        the ball's
                        > > back in your court.
                        > >
                        > > Give us a clue? Thanks
                        > >
                        > > Ned
                        > >
                        > > Ned Barnett, APR
                        > >
                        > > Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

                      • Eduardo Giansante
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 9, 2009
                          Why didn't you introduce yourself first?
                          If someone I never heard about send me a bunch of links I'll never click on
                          it.

                          That's basics of discussion lists, conference calls, workshops, meetings or
                          any other event where people interact with each other.

                          -Edu Giansante
                          http://edugiansante.com
                          http://www.e-dublin.com.br