To Blog? Or Not to Blog?

  • wsandy10
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2008
      Hi all,

      As a public relations professional, I sometimes question the
      advantages and risks of blogging for a person in our industry. Is a
      blog right for everyone? What are the benefits of blogging?

      I recently came across an article on Cision Blog that explores this
      issue and gives tips on how to develop your blogging voice:
      http://blog.us.cision.com/2008/12/to-blog-or-not-to-blog/

      I'd love to hear others' takes on this issue. Thanks!
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 23, 2008
        I maintain about 9 business-related blogs - Barnett on PR, Barnett on
        Marketing, Barnett on book and author promotion, Barnett on Crisis
        Communications, etc. - and I find them very useful. Here are a few reasons:

        1. I really don't want a client who will decide (sooner or later) that
        he doesn't like me or my views/approaches to PR and marketing. By letting
        this proto-client see where I stand, I'm screening out those who are keepers
        from those I'd only have to throw back. Life is too short to work for
        clients who hate you or don't respect you .

        2. I want the client to know I'm an expert. I wrote nine books on PR,
        but all are long out of print - so they do me little good in business
        prospecting. I write occasional journal articles, but most of those are in
        PR journals (PR News, CW, etc.) and aren't read by clients or prospects - by
        blogging articles (and re-publishing articles I've had published in these
        journals) - I am proving to clients that I'm a thoughtful leader in my
        field. By the time they figure out the truth, their check will have cleared
        <g>

        3. Because of both 1 and 2, I refrain from allowing comments to be
        posted - if I want to debate other PR people, I come to this and other
        list-servs - but in my blogs, I'm showing a virtual portfolio, and I want
        the reader focusing on me and my strategies, rather than on some no-neck's
        low opinion of my strategically-brilliant views (or is it the other way
        around?) <g>

        4. Because I blog on a number of topics, I'm able to send links to
        specific articles applicable to my prospecting efforts.

        5. Bottom line - I got a client and two hot leads that didn't
        materialize (but one is still pending) based on people finding my stuff on
        blogs in 2008 - since inception, I think the blogs have brought three or
        four clients and helped 7 or 8 prospects I got from other sources to decide
        in my favor.

        So, should we blog? No - please. Leave the field to me. I need all the
        clients I can get, and you're just competition that's cluttering up
        prospects' minds . (rim-shot). Seriously, blog away - it can only help
        (unless you do it wrong.

        PS - I also blog on hobbies (military history, model airplane/ship/tank
        building, etc.) and on my political views. Hobbies can't hurt me, but the
        political views might. If someone digs deeply enough, they'd figure it out
        anyway, and I'd just as soon they saw me as someone the media comes to
        (occasionally) for answers about campaign strategy and fund-raising than as
        a frothing-at-the-mouth raving lunatic. However, if they'd not want to work
        with me if they knew, they might as well know now and save us both some
        trouble.

        Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

        Barnett Marketing Communications

        420 N. Nellis Blvd. A3-276

        Las Vegas NV 89110

        702-696-1200 - ned@...