RE: [prbytes] Re: Do clients really go for this?

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 14, 2008
      Ana

      I'm not looking to pick a fight online (or anywhere else), but based on my
      own experience (and the experience of a number of colleagues and
      competitors), I have to strenuously disagree with your central thesis, that
      PR agencies must specialize because, obviously, a generalist can't do good
      work, nor can any agency do good work outside of its specialty.

      I have yet to see that play out in terms of performance. There are many
      agencies (I used to own one, and I've been partner in several others) that
      choose to specialize - but for most of these, this is done as a
      branding/positioning/marketing move, and not an admission that they can't do
      good work outside of their narrow market niche. In fact, in two cases
      where I was owner or partner of a "focused" PR agency, we also maintained a
      dba with a separate brand that allowed us to accept outside-our-niche
      clients without tarnishing the exclusivity brand.

      In all of this, I've never seen one good reason to focus (except to give you
      a marketing advantage) - I have yet to encounter a PR client that any
      experienced PR pro couldn't handle; and if you can deliver at the high end
      of performance for one type of client, you can do the same with another kind
      of client. At the core, PR is PR - anybody who can do professional-level PR
      for any client should be able to provide professional-level PR for a wide
      range of different kinds of clients. The basic core strategies and tactics
      that work for one work for all - the only things that change are the colors
      on the aluminum siding.

      I'll offer myself as an example, but I can offer three other agencies off
      the top of my head that are doing exceptional work on an even greater
      variety of clients. Looking at the projects I'm currently working on (For
      example):

      . Three television programs slated for cable

      . An incredibly sophisticated high-end software developer who deals
      in records technology and Federal compliance issues

      . Three theatrical films

      . An SaaS firm offering per-transaction sales tax calculating
      services to online retailers and others who need real-time tax information

      . A special one-time event involving bringing a former rock star
      back from obscurity and returning him to the pinnacle of rock-and-roll fame

      . Two private companies which need PPMs to raise funds

      . A couple of books/authors

      . One public company gearing up for a push to raise $5 million in
      new investments to fund expansion of their business of providing services to
      entrepreneurs

      . An annual Inventors' Expo

      . A South Beach New Years Eve blow-out (one of those "Party with the
      Celebrities" deals)

      . A start-up walk-in medical lab chain

      . A sophisticated (and niche-focused) business consultant, author
      and speaker

      . A start-up non-profit foundation

      . A start-up entertainment company

      . Six non-competing providers of workers comp insurance, focusing on
      the construction and agricultural trades

      . A business insurance company

      . A construction-industry trade magazine (I'm the editor of Nevada's
      Construction Zone - it's published by one of my clients)

      I seem to provide what my clients consider to be exceptional PR services -
      that's why they tend to stay with me and refer others to me. While there
      are few apparent similarities between promoting films/TV shows and seeking
      capital funding for start-up projects, I have yet to find any barriers to
      performing PR at the highest level for any of these clients.

      So, with all due respect, I just can't accept that notion that PR agencies
      need to be ghetto-ized (with us PR pros picking our favorite market "ghetto"
      and refusing to venture beyond the bounds of that ghetto) - and I can't
      accept that the market has become so Balkanized that they'll only work with
      ghetto-ized PR agencies. The marketplace doesn't work that way - if it did,
      I (and the like-minded allies and competitors I know personally) would be
      unable to have such a diverse group of clients.

      All the best

      Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

      Barnett Marketing Communications

      420 N. Nellis Blvd. A3-276

      Las Vegas NV 89110

      702-696-1200 - ned@...

      http://www.barnettmarcom.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 17, 2008
        This entire debate was certainly interesting to read...and so I decided to
        check out this website. I'm not sure why everyone's getting so fired up.

        First, this "successful" marketing company only has two active links to
        outside companies -- and even though we are assuming they are clients, it
        doesn't say that. So for all we know, they have no client list. These
        could just be links to companies they admire. After all, they are doing
        some odd things on their website. It wouldn't surprise me if they linked to
        random companies. LOL!

        If you note, one of the founders lists Coca-Cola in his bio as a former
        client. And since they don't mention PR specifically, we have no idea what
        they did for Coca Cola or Oovoo. They could have written a couple of pages
        of copy or helped them with a minor project.

        The other links go to their own blogs.

        Other than that, the website doesn't say much. And no one I know has ever
        heard of them.
        In fact, they haven't updated their website since mid-2007. So maybe they
        aren't even around!

        So I'm led to believe that this is a "virtual" firm with a creative website.
        And they are taking on whatever "marketing" jobs will bring in the cash.

        Just a thought....

        Patricia

        Patricia A. Roche'
        President