Political Reputation

  • Deon Binneman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
      Some of you may know that South Africa recently got a new State President.
      In the process a number of new ministers were appointed whilst some changed
      portfolios.

      I have now been asked to get involved with the repositioning of one of these
      ministers and building the person's reputation. This person operated in a
      previously different portfolio and wants to make maximum impact in the new
      area.

      The client wants a 3 folded strategy:

      1. Examining the person's reputation in the previous portfolio (Past)

      2. a Strategy to build the person's reputation in the new portfolio
      (Current)

      3. a Strategy to build the person's reputation in the new portfolio in the
      coming years (Future)

      Since I am a one person consultancy , my immediate take is that the project
      needs to be tackled in 2 phases:

      1. Developing a strategy for the above

      2. The client can then contract a PR company to assist them to take the
      strategy further.

      Is there anyone on the list of who have specific ideas about the above? Your
      comments and ideas about building a person's reputation will be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      DEON BINNEMAN

      Reputation Management Consultant & Speaker

      * Landline: +27- 011- 4753515 / Fax: 0866 129 566
      * Mobile: +27-0-834254318
      * Email: <mailto:deonbin@...> deonbin@...

      * Twitter: DeonBinneman

      * Facebook: Deon Binneman

      * IM: <mailto:deonbin@...> deonbinneman@...

      * <http://friendfeed.com/deonbin> http://friendfeed.com/deonbin

      * Training enquiries: <mailto:reputationeducation@...>
      reputationeducation@...

      P.O. Box 3285, Honeydew, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2040

      Blog: Deon Binneman on Managing Reputation:

      <http://deonbinneman.wordpress.com/> http://deonbinneman.wordpress.com/

      Public Profile: <http://www.linkedin.com/in/deonbin>
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/deonbin

      do not wish to receive it. If you do not wish to hear from me, please write
      back so that I can remove your details. To ensure complete removal, please
      inform me of any other email addresses that default to your mailbox.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
        My suggestion, Deon - if this guy trusts you, don't push him away to a PR
        firm. Instead, find someone you can partner with who can handle the PR side
        but keep you in the loop. In this way, your "reputation" (the thing that
        brought the minister to you) won't be damaged by a PR firm you don't know
        and can't control/influence.

        Marketing/PR Fellow, American Hospital Association

        Barnett Marketing Communications

        420 N. Nellis Blvd. A3-276

        Las Vegas NV 89110

        702-696-1200 - ned@...

        http://www.barnettmarcom.com

        * Email: <mailto:deonbin@... <mailto:deonbin%40icon.co.za> >

        * IM: <mailto:deonbin@... <mailto:deonbin%40hotmail.com> >
        deonbinneman@... <mailto:deonbinneman%40hotmail.com>

        * <http://friendfeed.com/deonbin> http://friendfeed.com/deonbin

        * Training enquiries: <mailto:reputationeducation@...
        <mailto:reputationeducation%40icon.co.za> >
        reputationeducation@... <mailto:reputationeducation%40icon.co.za>

        P.O. Box 3285, Honeydew, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2040

        Blog: Deon Binneman on Managing Reputation:

        <http://deonbinneman.wordpress.com/> http://deonbinneman.wordpress.com/

        Public Profile: <http://www.linkedin.com/in/deonbin>
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/deonbin

      • desmond ekeh
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
          Hi Deon,

          Good to know you can be trusted to help out on this project. I think, what you need to do considering you are a one man consultant are:

          1. Call for an internal PR pitch of about 3 agencies. Pick one of them you can trust their reputation and ability to deliver and partner with them.

          2. Create the strategy and get them to run with the strategy as you supervise them and ensure you are in direct contact with your client.

          3. The three prong strategy you mentioned, I think, is okay. For stage one, you can run a media campaign to examine or evaluate his performance in the previous position, highlighting the areas he did very well and downplaying his sour points. How? Use interviews, testmonials and press releases.

          4. For his present portfolio or current situation, you need to run a Positioning campaign. He needs to be postioned as an achiever, action oriented, trustworthy and goal getter.

          For stage three or future, develope a strategic Personality branding campaign that will be anchored on perception management based on actualities and things that can make him be perceived as result oriented. For the elements, the PR company can help you put them together.

          I hope this can help. You can still contact me privately if you need more inputs. Good luck Deon
          Regards,

          Desmond Ekeh (Lagos - Nigeria)

[...]

          * Email: <mailto:deonbin@icon. co.za> deonbin@icon. co.za

          * Twitter: DeonBinneman

          * Facebook: Deon Binneman

          * IM: <mailto:deonbin@hotmail. com> deonbinneman@ hotmail.com

          * <http://friendfeed. com/deonbin> http://friendfeed. com/deonbin

          * Training enquiries: <mailto:reputationeducation @.... za>
          reputationeducation @.... za

          P.O. Box 3285, Honeydew, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2040

          Blog: Deon Binneman on Managing Reputation:

          <http://deonbinneman .wordpress. com/> http://deonbinneman .wordpress. com/

          Public Profile: <http://www.linkedin .com/in/deonbin>
          http://www.linkedin .com/in/deonbin

          Because your Reputation matters!.... ..

          Subscription Policy: It is not my intention to send this email to those who