WSJ on time/billing software

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2008
      I can't recall who was asking, but the WSJ article exerpt below
      mentions some additional products.

      Q: I have a consulting business and, like many professionals, I
      charge by the hour. However, I have yet to come up with an acceptable
      means of tracking time and then calculating the charge (time x rate).
      Any suggestions?

      -- Bill Krull, Lake Charles, La.

      A: Many professionals, believe it or not, still use paper, pen and
      calculator to keep track of client billable hours. But there are many
      software programs that provide for easier calculation and billing
      management.

      Most accounting software programs, including Intuit Inc.'s QuickBooks
      and Microsoft Corp.'s Microsoft Office Accounting, offer client time-
      tracking features -- at least in some capacity. The programs usually
      let you enter the amount of time spent with a customer and then
      calculate a bill based on your hourly rate. Other employees may also
      be able to access the information, and you can integrate the data
      with your accounting process.

      If you already use such a program, it's worth using the time-tracking
      features of the program, since they will then be automatically
      integrated with your business's accounting and billing, says Ramon
      Ray, editor of SmallBizTechnology.com, a blog focused on technology
      for small and midsize companies.

      If your accounting software doesn't offer time tracking, you can
      often purchase an add-on through the company's Web site or upgrade to
      a version that offers it. QuickBooks, for instance, sells its Time
      Tracker add-on for $10 to $200 a month, depending on the number of
      users.

      Businesses without an accounting program can purchase a separate
      application, such as 2ndSite Inc.'s FreshBooks.com and Sage Software
      Inc.'s Timeslips. Prices for FreshBooks, an online-based invoicing
      and time-tracking program, range from free to $149 a month, depending
      on the number of active clients being tracked. The 2008 version of
      Timeslips, an off-the-shelf application, can be purchased on
      Amazon.com for about $480.

      Some data-management programs, including Microsoft Office Access,
      FileMaker Inc.'s FileMaker Pro and Intuit's QuickBase, also offer
      time tracking in some capacity, Mr. Ray adds.

      Keep in mind that many business software programs offer free online
      trial periods so you can test them out before purchase.