India PR vs. U.S.PR?

  • detour3
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2008
      I am trying to convince an Indian prospect based in the U.S. as to
      reasons why not to put all of his eggs in one basket with a U.S. firm
      (with some Indian principals) who has a presence in India to market
      his new web site that allows people to post their videos of talent
      (art, singing, acting etc.)

      I believe the markets are distinct. Once he gets users, they will
      hope to be discovered by agents, scouts, casting teams, producers,
      record labels etc. or word will get out they are just wasting their
      time. The U.S. entertainment market is different than India and PR
      techniques different as well.

      1. What reasons would you offer him to consider:

      a) not taking the "plug and play" approach (his comfort level with
      other Indians)

      b) separating the approach and marketing for both markets (which
      would allow me to work with his NY firm and coordinate synergies
      wherever posible)

      2. What differences do you know of in the markets?
    • Stephen Rafe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2008
        I teach Research Methods, Cultural Diversity, and other courses at the
        graduate level -- as well as business communications, public relations,
        marketing, and related courses at the undergraduate level. Most of my
        students are from India. I have also conducted a program on intercultural
        exchange for our very diverse faculty here at Stratford University.

        My students have persuaded me that cultural considerations are paramount:
        The most-supportive segment of the market (potentially) for arts and
        artists' work from India will consist of those already familiar with such
        and who have a preference for it. The secondary market seems to be those who
        have lived in India or traveled extensively there. The tertiary market
        appears to be those who have a particular interest in "exotic" forms of the
        arts, in general.

        Logic, in this case, seems to indicate that the best approach would be to
        "sell" first to citizens of India, use that capital to branch into the
        secondary market internationally (don't overlook United Kingdom), and then
        "sweep up" the remaining prospects as time and funds allow. There is also
        the traditional, perceived value of developing referrals from key customers
        in the primary market. In addition, a tangential -- and perhaps direct OR
        indirect market -- would be the local, regional, national, and international
        organizations that support the arts (such as museums, theaters, galleries,
        and the like).

        Hope this is helpful.

        Stephen
        STEPHEN RAFE
        Adjunct Professor -- Stratford University
        President -- Rapport Communications
        Senior Partner -- International Communications Collaborative

        -----