The long and short of it

  • Kirkpatrick, Lois M.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
      I'm advising a fundraising/advocacy organization. They'd like to do ads that
      educate readers about their issue. IMO, the issue can't be easily explained
      with snappy one-liners (they're trying to convince businesses to care about
      preschool education).

      In what situations are long-text ads justified and effective?

      Lois Kirkpatrick, Manager
      Marketing & Strategic Analysis
      Office for Children
      Fairfax County Dept. of Family Services

      703-324-7162
      www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofc

    • Duncan Matheson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
        In what situations are long-text ads justified and effective? Very few.
        People simply won't take the time to read them. The only exceptions I can
        think of are situations where people are already heavily engaged in an
        issue, and even then, the only people who are likely to take the time to
        read a lengthy ad are those who are already on side, which is to say the
        benefit is limited.

        This said, I'm not sure that a good creative mind can't come up with an
        effective message (read short) that speaks to business about why they should
        care about preschool education. I'm not suggesting I'm creative enough to do
        it, but the people that are paid the big bucks to do this stuff probably
        can.

        Duncan Matheson

        Bissett Matheson Communications Ltd.

        Fredericton office (506) 457-1627

        www.bissettmatheson.com

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
          Lois, I'm wondering if a speakers bureau type of approach to civic
          clubs (where we find business people) and other groups will offer you
          a better venue to explain your case.

          I also don't think there are a lot of 'long text ads' that really
          break through. Have to agree with Duncan on that.

          For instance, I look at this old release from the Rand Corporation on
          preschool. http://rand.org/news/press.05/03.30.html

          Reading it makes the case, to me. But, who is going to read it? How
          can that kind of information be turned into an advertisement?

          Advertorials will allow for you to make the case with more text,
          photos and even video (if online) and there are certainly enough
          business publications willing to do advertorials. But there is the
          ethical question about advertorials and there is the lack of solid
          measurement to show who will read it. This topic, to me, would likely
          only appeal to those with children seeking / needing preschool.

          For my part, our speakers bureau for an Easter Seal program shows more
          conversions of people into action and commitment (donations / signing
          on) than all but one other thing -- individual visits to the
          facilities. That is the real 'sales' tool. It works wonders.

          Hope that helps.

          Robert

          On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Duncan Matheson
          <duncan@...> wrote:
          > In what situations are long-text ads justified and effective? Very few.
          > People simply won't take the time to read them. The only exceptions I can
          > think of are situations where people are already heavily engaged in an
          > issue, and even then, the only people who are likely to take the time to
          > read a lengthy ad are those who are already on side, which is to say the
          > benefit is limited.
          >
          > This said, I'm not sure that a good creative mind can't come up with an
          > effective message (read short) that speaks to business about why they should
          > care about preschool education. I'm not suggesting I'm creative enough to do
          > it, but the people that are paid the big bucks to do this stuff probably
          > can.
          >
          > Duncan Matheson
          >
          > Bissett Matheson Communications Ltd.
          >
          > Fredericton office (506) 457-1627
          >
          > www.bissettmatheson.com
          >
          > _____

        • David P. Dillard
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
            I do not think this is a good place for glitz. This is a good place to
            inform and educate the public. Elementary education, not to mention
            preschool, is the place where the foundation is laid. Without that
            foundation, lots of luck putting up any kind of building. A child who
            does not learn to read and fails to understand basic mathematics and
            science concepts in the elementary grades is a failing middle school and
            high school student and an excellent candidate to be a school dropout with
            very low potential to ever continue school above the K-12 level in a
            society that increasingly employs fewer people lacking postsecondary
            education attainments. This is not fodder for one liners, but rather
            appropriate territory for serious discussion. There is no shortage of
            content to discuss, either. Consider this short list.

            Sports as an incentive to stay in school.

            After school programs involving skills and activities

            Learning what problems at home are hurting student motivation to learn.

            What mental handicaps are preventing learning and what corrective actions
            can be taken.

            Are poor relationships with peers or even bullying preventing or limiting
            learning.

            How can computers increase learning and facilitate students to learn at
            their own pace, without falling way behind others in their class and
            grade.

            Can computer games be used to learn. [The answer to that one is a big
            yes if you did not hear about this one.]

            Discussion groups with public archives are great places to share this
            informaton. The public archives should and will be indexed by search
            engines and hence ones content will be put in place in a database that
            will lend itself to be found when searchers are looking for a combination
            of words used in your document or post. These messages should include a
            specific issue such as a good reading site for primary grade students as
            an example with the site name, link and information copied and pasted from
            the site such as contents, about us, mission statement and so forth.
            Articles can also be cited and Google Scholar will provide many candidates
            here, many with full text online free. Sources found in Google Books is
            another pool of content to select from. You want people to know and care
            about an issue important to elementary education, getting them to read a
            good book about it is a good start. The closing portion of your posts
            should share with folks the actions that are needed for them to have the
            desired role in improving elementary education including financial
            contribution, tutoring, providing mentoring and a role model or whatever
            else the program sponsoring wishes to have happen. Using lists should be
            within the way that each list functions. I do not post here about medical
            malpractice cases or the fact that Atlanta pitcher Smoltz has a serious
            shoulder injury on PRBytes. Posting about the importance of phyisical
            fitness to the EDTECH list would not get past the moderators, probably,
            but posting there regarding how children are overcoming overweight issues
            using the WII very well may. If you share resources readers benefit from
            knowing about, this will get your messages read and create much more
            receptivity towards the matters you are trying to promote.

            Now to illustrate how effectively one can put information out there about
            elementary secondary education using a Google search of the list I own and
            moderate, Net-Gold, consider this search that is constructed to limit as
            much as possible to results from the Net-Gold list.

            education and (k12 OR elementary) and "net-gold" and "temple.edu"

            This set of results goes from the last page of results in the first group
            of results to include the so called "omitted results".

            Web Results 1 - 10 of about 3,050 for
            education and (k12 OR elementary) and "net-gold" and "temple.edu".

            <http://www.google.com/search?q=education+and+(k12+OR+elementary)+
            and+%22net-gold%22+and+%22temple.edu%22&hl=
            en&rls=DAUS,DAUS:2006-11,DAUS:en&filter=0>

            A shorter URL for the above link:

            <http://tinyurl.com/3vg549>

            Content Sample:

            NET-GOLD Archives -- April 2005 (#363)EDUCATION: K-12: ELEMENTARY GRADES :
            ANIMALS : PHOTOGRAPHY AND PICTURES: ARCHIVES: ... as it pertains to
            students: http://www.groton.k12.ct.us/mts/eg10.htm. ...
            https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0504&L=net-gold&P=55603 - 18k
            - Cached - Similar pages

            NET-GOLD Archives -- August 2007 (#197)K12 Online Learning: A Survey of
            U.S. School District Administrators K12 Online Learning: A Survey ...
            <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html> ...
            https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0708&L=net-gold&P=26861 - 22k
            - Cached - Similar pages

            TEMPLE-GOLD Archives -- June 2007 (#334)EDUCATION: K-12: ELEMENTARY GRADES
            : EDUCATION: K-12: COMPUTER AND TECHNOLOGY: A Selection of Recent ...
            <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html> ...
            https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0706&L=temple-gold&P=50551 -
            19k - Cached - Similar pages

            NET-GOLD Archives -- August 2007 (#123)Elementary physical education
            curriculum guide Harford County Public Schools. ...
            <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html> ...
            https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0708&L=net-gold&P=16073 - 19k
            - Cached - Similar pages

            NET-GOLD Archives -- June 2007 (#345)EDUCATION: K-12: ELEMENTARY GRADES :
            EDUCATION: K-12: COMPUTER AND TECHNOLOGY: A Selection of Recent ...
            <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html> ...
            https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0706&L=net-gold&T=0&P=50162 -
            19k - Cached - Similar pages

            Jiglu: Net-Gold: Discussion: GEOGRAPHY: RESOURCES : MAPS ...Mar 1, 2008
            ... astro.ocis.temple.edu net-gold EDUCATION: K-12: ELEMENTARY GRADES :
            EDUCATION: K-12: CURRICULUM: RESOURCES : EDUCATION: K-12: SOCIAL ...
            net-gold.jiglu.com/discussion/messages/2020920 - 41k - Cached - Similar
            pages

            Jiglu: Net-Gold: Discussion: EDUCATION: K12: SPELLING : EDUCATION
            ...EDUCATION: K12: SPELLING : EDUCATION: K-12: STUDENTS : CONTESTS AND
            COMPETITIONS: The Mystery Voice ...
            <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html> ...
            net-gold.jiglu.com/discussion/threads/1618869 - 26k - Cached - Similar
            pages

            Jiglu: Net-Gold: Discussion: EDUCATION: K12: SPELLING : EDUCATION
            ...EDUCATION: K12: SPELLING : EDUCATION: K-12: STUDENTS : CONTESTS AND
            COMPETITIONS: The Mystery Voice ...
            <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html> ...
            net-gold.jiglu.com/discussion/messages/2290712 - 26k - Cached - Similar
            pages

            Jiglu: Net-Gold: Discussion: EDUCATION: K-12: TEACHERS : EDUCATION
            ...Beginning Teachers, College School Cooperation, Elementary Secondary
            Education, Extended Teacher ...
            <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html> ...
            net-gold.jiglu.com/discussion/messages/1810054 - 32k - Cached - Similar
            pages

            [DDN] Using the EBSCO Elementary Secondary Education Database for
            ...TEMPLE.EDU>, Net-Gold <net-gold at googlegroups.com>, myarchives1 at
            ... AND INFORMATION: Using the EBSCO Elementary Secondary Education
            Database for ...
            www.digitaldivide.net/pipermail/digitaldivide/2006-May/005523.html - 15k -
            Cached - Similar pages

            This kind of result for a campaign in search results will also be a good
            outcome to show clients that a campaign to seriously educate on issues is
            having impact. Having such content in meetings allows use of search tools
            including site search tools to find results pertient to the meeting from
            the internet produced by your organization to illustrate the points being
            made in the live meeting. This will impress. In addition, outsiders who
            find and value the content your organization is sharing will come to value
            the work your organization is doing in sharing information and that will
            at the least lead to good will, often it will help generate future clients
            if your signature lines make it very clear who you are and what you are
            out there for.

            I use a very antiquated and powerful text based Pine email for my work
            such as this post, and one of its unique features, denied even to Temple
            University web based email, is the detailed announcement of messages
            arriving in my email and I just copied and pasted this notice that just
            came in as I am sitting here and typing:

            [New mail! From EDTECH Editor-Beil in re Re: Technology Projects for
            Elementary Students]

            In case somebody in the third row thinks I am making this up, here is what
            can be found in today's discussion log for EDTECH:

            2008-06-07
            Corrina Re: Technology Projects for Elementary Students View

            Marilyn Re: Technology Projects for Elementary Students View

            Jeff Re: Technology Projects for Elementary Students View

            [I removed last names and email addresses, but that will all be found at
            this URL]

            <http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?
            trx=lx&list=EDTECH&user=&pw=&month=0806>

            A shorter URL for the above link:

            <http://tinyurl.com/5l79l5>

            In publically archived lists one also need not worry that they are
            preaching only to the converted as those using search engines may become
            converts to the church of quality elementary education if they find your
            posts and you sell, oops, sorry this is a religion, proselytize them on
            becoming involved.

            These recent Net-Gold post may also be of interest to some members of this
            group.

            Scientists Release Educational Computer Game
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23847>

            REFERENCE: ENCYCLOPEDIAS:
            The Encyclopaedia Britannica Mends Its Wikied Ways
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23852>

            MEDICAL: COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE:
            Time to Talk About CAM
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23851>

            PERIODICALS: PEER REVIEWED AND REFEREED:
            NIH Director Announces Enhancements to Peer Review
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23849>

            [webdev] Web Design Update: June 6, 2008
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23848>

            LTC Articles
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23842>

            TOURISM AND TRAVEL: SUSTAINABLE TOURISM :
            AGRICULTURE :
            RURAL COMMUNITIES :
            WILDERNESS WILDLIFE FOREST MOUNTAIN:
            A Brief Bibliography of Sources Regarding Sustainable Tourism
            in Rural Environments and Communites
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23838>

            MEDICAL: DISEASES:
            Plagues and Immunity: Hereditary versus Acquired Immunity and More
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23837>

            INTERNET: WIKIS :
            BIBLIOGRAPHIES :
            BOOKS:
            The Book on Wikis
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23833>

            WEB SITE DESIGN AND PROMOTION: CONTENT :
            EDUCATION: READING:
            How Little Do Users Read?

            UNITED STATES :
            LAW :
            COMPUTER :
            INTERNET:
            10 Ways You Might be Breaking the Law with Your Computer
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23825>

            ECONOMICS : TRANSPORTATION: PUBLIC URBAN AND PASSENGER:
            Streetcars Are Returning, In Spite of Bush Administration Opposition
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23810>

            EMAIL: ISSUES:
            Email Preferred Communicator by Consumers For Business Dealing
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23803>

            RECREATION :
            ENTERTAINMENT :
            TIME:
            Time Use for Leisure Pursuits: Selected Sources
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23795>

            WRITING AND WRITERS: PLAGIARISM DETECTION:
            Selected Publications and Internet Resources About the Detection of
            Plagiarism
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/23771>

            All of the above posts are very interesting to me, but consider the
            discussion in this post and how this useful information in each of these
            posts may attract attention from web users who find these items in
            searches of Google or Live or Yahoo. Once these posts are indexed, they
            keep attracting attention as their content merits in terms of the words
            satisfying search combinations and the viewer of the results finding the
            document pertinent to their research.

            Have a great day and the best of success with the elementary school
            campaign. There is no way I could argue that is not an extremely worthy
            cause. <g> Also please note that the above content is anything but a one
            liner group of approaches to sharing awareness of the topics covered.

            All have a great weekend.

            This bad news just came in in my latest Pine Message Alert:

            New mail! From Jeff re [Philly_Traction] Oil closes over $ 139.00 a barrel
            today.

            Anybody want to start a campaign regarding the importance of alternative
            energy???

            More about Pine email:

            <http://tinyurl.com/4vctpv>

            Sincerely,
            David Dillard
            Temple University
            (215) 204 - 4584
            jwne@...
            <http://daviddillard.businesscard2.com>
            Net-Gold
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
            <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
            <http://groups.google.com/group/net-gold?hl=en>
            <http://net-gold.jiglu.com/>
            General Internet & Print Resources
            <http://guides.temple.edu/general-internet>
            <http://guides.temple.edu/general-country-info>
            <http://guides.temple.edu/tourism>
            <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
            Educator-Gold
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Educator-Gold/>
            K12ADMINLIFE
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K12AdminLIFE/>
            Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
            <http://tinyurl.com/36qd2o>
            Net-Gold Membership Required to View Photos

            On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Kirkpatrick, Lois M. wrote:

            > I'm advising a fundraising/advocacy organization. They'd like to do ads that
            > educate readers about their issue. IMO, the issue can't be easily explained
            > with snappy one-liners (they're trying to convince businesses to care about
            > preschool education).

            > In what situations are long-text ads justified and effective?

            > Lois Kirkpatrick, Manager
            > Marketing & Strategic Analysis
            > Office for Children
            > Fairfax County Dept. of Family Services

            > 703-324-7162
            > http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofc
          • Kirkpatrick, Lois M.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2008
              Thanks so much for the input, everybody! If we can create a series of ads
              with engaging text and powerful, USA Today-type info graphics, we'll hit pay
              dirt!