RE: [prbytes] New with Question

    Message 1 of 9 , May 27, 2008
      Julia

      If this is a peanuts account (i.e., one that's too small to sweat - plus one
      you know you can't keep and wouldn't want if you could), I'd suggest you
      very politely, very formally, send them a registered letter stating that due
      to non-payment on their part, YOU are invoking the sixty-day clause.

      Then tell them that if they want the emails, they will have to sue you*, but
      make it clear that you're not going to violate your professional ethics on
      the whim of a FORMER client. Point out that nowhere in the agreement (copy
      attached) is there any mention of their right to have the emails, which
      would in any case be unethical. Close by saying that, since they refuse to
      pay on grounds that are clearly not part of the agreement, you intend to
      take them to Small Claims Court within ten (10) business days, unless
      payment in full is made.

      Then . you can either sue them in Small Claims Court or not - most demand
      letters are, after all, a bluff. If they actually do take actions to sue
      you (i.e., a demand letter from their lawyer), give them what they ask for
      (it's not worth the cost of fighting it, but you'll have the satisfaction of
      knowing that they had to pay a lawyer to do so). If you give it to them, I
      suggest you find a way of putting the emails and letters on some
      antediluvian storage medium (anybody remember Zip Drive disks? - or 3.5 or
      5.0 floppies?) - just for the sheer aggravation pleasure. It's like paying
      off an unwarranted debt with pennies (which are, after all, legal tender) -
      of course, it's also childish and petty, and you may decide that it's not
      worth the effort. You'd probably be right, but . wouldn't it be fun?

      Finally, once this is all resolved - especially if they do not pay and you
      decide to not go to Small Claims Court (though of course you can do both),
      file a complaint with the local Better Business Bureau. This is both
      legitimate as a means of trying to force payment AND remarkably satisfying .
      especially after they come back and try to get you to remove the complaint
      without first paying you.

      In short, get out of the agreement but don't roll over. Do whatever you can
      within both your personal comfort zone and the law to "encourage" them to
      pay what they owe you without demanding something that they never contracted
      for.

      A nice lesson - one I hope you'll remember always - is ALWAYS get paid up
      front. Nobody can withhold payment if they pay up front - because you do
      nothing to earn the payment until after the check's cleared. You're not a
      lending establishment, and you're not a collections agency - so why pretend
      that you're either, or both?

      Good luck.

      Ned (who's been there and done that . these lessons are hard-won . learn
      from my mistakes, not yours - it's a lot easier on the ol' peace of mind)

      Ned Barnett, APR

      Fellow in PR and Marketing, AHA

      Barnett Marketing Communications

      420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3-276