Re: [prbytes] Bleeding edge

  • Robert French
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2008
      Lois, you might investigate Ning.com

      Ning is your own social network and you can incorporate the 'old
      school' YouTube, Flickr files that you and your network members use to
      build up the site. Ning has many of the same features you would find
      in those other communities, but ... it is yours.

      There you may develop your own social network specifically targeting
      the students/families you wish to reach.

      Ning isn't new, but it is well-redesigned and very easy to use.

      It incorporates mobile uploading for photos and videos, too.

      They offer premium features (for a fee) to turn off ads (or run your
      own) and you may even have your own domain like fairfaxkidsart.org
      (whatever) or your existing domain. To do both, drop ads and have
      your own domain, it is about $25 per month. Quite reasonable,
      actually. The reason I suggest dropping ads is because you're dealing
      with kids and some of he ads I've seen them running would not be
      suitable for your audience.

      Watch this video from Robert Scoble featuring Ning.com CEO Gina
      Bianchini. It is a demo and will give you the basic tools (although
      more features have been added since that video was created). The
      video runs 12:31

      http://tinyurl.com/3deuxc

      I'm using Ning for some class projects. My students (Auburn
      University) find it intuitive and easy to use. As kids become more
      jaded by sites like Facebook and MySpace, I'm guessing that these easy
      to build micro-social networks will gain in popularity ... especially
      when they are so easy to build. The practice of building the network
      seems to aid in developing ownership on their part.

      That's my suggestion .. and, no - I'm not associated with Ning in any
      way, aside from being a user. :o)

      Robert

      On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Kirkpatrick, Lois M.
      <Lois.Kirkpatrick@...> wrote:

      > I'm planning a marketing campaign for a new initiative involving kids and
      > art. Sure, I could put stuff on YouTube and FaceBook and whatnot, but those
      > are so Old School. :-)
      >
      > What's next?
      >

      > Lois Kirkpatrick, Manager
      > Marketing & Strategic Analysis
      > Office for Children
      > Fairfax County Dept. of Family Services
      >
      > 703-324-7162
      > www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofc

      This e-mail is private and is not intended for publication or redistribution.

      Robert French
      (334) 239-0400
      infOpinions.org

      "Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn."
      - Benjamin Franklin