How do you use Twitter?

  • Kirkpatrick, Lois M.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2008
      After hearing about Twitter from various coworkers for about a year, I
      finally signed up and have been using it for about a month. Although it's
      one of the most unintuitive apps I've ever used, once you get the hang of
      it, it's kinda fun. I'd like to make it more applicable to work, though.
      Have you figured out how to do that yet?

      If you're not a user already, go here and sign up (it's free) and see what
      you think: www.twitter.com

      Lois Kirkpatrick, Manager
      Marketing & Strategic Analysis
      Office for Children
      Fairfax County Dept. of Family Services

      703-324-7162
      www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofc

    • Deon Binneman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2008
        Hi Lois,

        I use a program called Twitterlicious - it allows me to post from my desktop
        what I am busy with - it is also linked to my Facebook entry. I also post
        from my phone.

        The importance is to use it to let people know what you are busy with - it
        is not another Instant Messenger program.

        I found this brilliant guide on Twitter and thought you could make use of
        it.

        http://www.caroline-middlebrook.com/blog/twitter-guide/

        Regards,

        Deon Binneman
        Reputation Management Consultant, Speaker & Trainer
        REPUCOMM
        P.O. Box 3285, Honeydew, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2040
        Johannesburg, South Africa
        Phone: (27)011 475 3515 / Mobile: 083 425 4318
        Fax: 0866 129 566
        * Blog: Deon Binneman on Managing Reputation
        <http://www,deonbinneman.wordpress.com>
        http://www.deonbinneman.wordpress.com

        * Public Profile: <http://www.linkedin.com/in/deonbin>
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/deonbin
        * Follow me on Twitter: <http://twitter.com/deonbinneman>
        http://twitter.com/DeonBinneman
        * Facebook: Deon Binneman
        * Windows Live Messenger: deonbinneman@...
        do not wish to receive it. If you do not wish to hear from me, please write
        back so that I can remove your details. To ensure complete removal, please
        inform me of any other email addresses that default to your mailbox.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
          Lois,

          The main values I find in Twitter include:
          > An easy way to bounce ideas/ask questions. It's come in handy
          several times in the past year.
          > To learn about new links and information I might never have found
          otherwise.
          > For a diversion when I need to lift my head out of a project.

          If you are using Twitter, like other networks, I suggest finding a
          comfortable level of people you follow. Some have thousands of people
          they follow and I find these Twitterers tend to have one-way
          communication: out, not too responsive to direct questions or comments.

          I follow 129 people, with many of them not active. But, like other
          things, find out what works best for you.
          Good luck.
          Mike

          Mike Driehorst
          Messaging Strategist

          H A N S O N I N C .
          Maumee, Ohio 43537 U.S.A.

          AIM: MikeDatHanson
          mike.driehorst@...

          Blog: www.mikespoints.com
          Twitter: Twitter.com/mikedriehorst

          --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "Kirkpatrick, Lois M."
          <Lois.Kirkpatrick@...> wrote:

          > After hearing about Twitter from various coworkers for about a year, I
          > finally signed up and have been using it for about a month. Although
          it's
          > one of the most unintuitive apps I've ever used, once you get the
          hang of
          > it, it's kinda fun. I'd like to make it more applicable to work, though.
          > Have you figured out how to do that yet?
          >
          > If you're not a user already, go here and sign up (it's free) and
          see what
          > you think: www.twitter.com
          >

          > Lois Kirkpatrick, Manager
          > Marketing & Strategic Analysis
          > Office for Children
          > Fairfax County Dept. of Family Services
          >
          > 703-324-7162
          > www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofc

        • Kirkpatrick, Lois M.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
            Deon recommended this article, which, sadly, our employer deems
            inappropriate for staff access:

            http://www.caroline-middlebrook.com/blog/twitter-guide/

            Deon also wrote: "The importance [of Twitter] is to use it to let people
            know what you are busy with..." I'm curious -- can you say more about how
            this has helped your business?

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
              Just imagine that I found a website with pertinent information, and share it
              via Twitter - you can immediately go and look at it.I use twitter from my
              phone.those who follow me might be interested.

              Regards,

              Deon Binneman
              Reputation Management Consultant, Speaker & Trainer
              REPUCOMM
              P.O. Box 3285, Honeydew, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2040
              Johannesburg, South Africa
              Phone: (27)011 475 3515 / Mobile: 083 425 4318
              Fax: 0866 129 566
              * Blog: Deon Binneman on Managing Reputation
              <http://www,deonbinneman.wordpress.com>
              http://www.deonbinneman.wordpress.com

              * Public Profile: <http://www.linkedin.com/in/deonbin>
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/deonbin
              * Follow me on Twitter: <http://twitter.com/deonbinneman>
              http://twitter.com/DeonBinneman
              * Facebook: Deon Binneman
              * Windows Live Messenger: deonbinneman@...
              Because your Reputation matters!
              Disclaimer:
              This email contains information that is confidential and may be privileged.
              If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use,
              disseminate, distribute or copy this email or attachments.
              If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by return
              email and delete this email.
              Thank you.