X-Posted - Negotiating Exclusives/Embargos

  • detour3
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
      I have a controversial and less than credible client (credible to the
      press) who has "dirt" on a major Presidential candidate. I have
      invited the press to a press conference to announce his book on the
      candidate. The goal is to get good attendance at the press conference
      and set up several one-on one briefings with the media after the
      press conference in D.C. and NY, which hopefully controversial or
      not, will result in sales of the book.

      If I give too much info away in advance, it gives the candidate's
      camp or the media time to dispute the credibility of the claims and
      kill the story before the press conference next Mon.

      I have the NY Times, 20/20, WSJ and the Today Show all asking for
      exclusives or saying they will honor an embargo. But the minute they
      research their story by going to the candidates' camp for a response,
      the candidate has the ability to go on the attack prior to the event
      and kill the story as well. My client is worried about negative PR.

      The goal is to get good attendance at the press conference and set up
      several one-on one briefings with the media after the press
      conference in D.C. and NY.

      Question 1) Do you know of any good resources on negotiating an
      exclusive with the media?

      Question 2) The client has paid up front. We know controversy will
      sell books. We just want the chance to tell our side first to make
      sure we have a shot at a story or stories. What would you do in this
      scenario?
    • ggerd
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
        My 2 cents:
        I wouldn't risk the embargo or the exclusive. Announce your press
        conference at which major new information will be revealed on
        candidate X 24 hours before your event. Hold the press conference
        where all the political reporters are. For instance, in Iowa today.
        They will go assuming you haven't cross scheduled against another
        major event. Look at finding a time and place in New Hampshire a day
        before the vote up there. The political reporters on the campaign
        get bored reporting the same old stump speeches.
        Gary

        --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "detour3" <gorby90@...> wrote:

        > I have a controversial and less than credible client (credible to
        the
        > press) who has "dirt" on a major Presidential candidate. I have
        > invited the press to a press conference to announce his book on the
        > candidate. The goal is to get good attendance at the press
        conference
        > and set up several one-on one briefings with the media after the
        > press conference in D.C. and NY, which hopefully controversial or
        > not, will result in sales of the book.
        >

        > If I give too much info away in advance, it gives the candidate's
        > camp or the media time to dispute the credibility of the claims and
        > kill the story before the press conference next Mon.
        >
        > I have the NY Times, 20/20, WSJ and the Today Show all asking for
        > exclusives or saying they will honor an embargo. But the minute
        they
        > research their story by going to the candidates' camp for a
        response,
        > the candidate has the ability to go on the attack prior to the
        event
        > and kill the story as well. My client is worried about negative PR.
        >
        > The goal is to get good attendance at the press conference and set
        up
        > several one-on one briefings with the media after the press
        > conference in D.C. and NY.
        >

        > Question 1) Do you know of any good resources on negotiating an
        > exclusive with the media?
        >
        > Question 2) The client has paid up front. We know controversy will
        > sell books. We just want the chance to tell our side first to make
        > sure we have a shot at a story or stories. What would you do in
        this
        > scenario?

      • Kirkpatrick, Lois M.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
          You say that your goal is to get good attendance at the press conference.
          However, your real goal is to sell books. Since sales are your ultimate
          goal, why do you care if reporters come to the press conference or not? Get
          your info into the hands of the outlets where it will get the most exposure
          to the right people (the people who will buy the book), and forget about the
          press conference.

          Lois Kirkpatrick, Manager
          Marketing & Strategic Analysis
          Office for Children