Re: please help

  • Barbara Turpin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2007
      PRBytesFor what its worth, my responses below followed by ***

      .How good / bad are the Free / low cost online PR distribution
      services like PrWeb etc ?
      -Has anyone used them ? Are they effective ?
      - Do they leave a bad impression on people reading them..indicating this
      startup is a fly by night without resources to hire a real pro PR agency ?
      -Do these mass online services just publish the PR on their site or
      do they actually send them to the reporters in the publications via email?
      - Would anyone recommend any particular company that does a good job ?

      ***The thing you need to remember about a service is that it covers a blanket market, not a target market. While it saves you time, it may not necessarily be the best use of your time. That being said, it can't hurt as part of an overall marketing plan.

      2.If one is doing it onself ..Is it best to start sending Press
      Releases to small
      publications and then build up to the larger publications ?
      or should one send them to all at one time ?
      or should it be the other way around ie send to the publications with the
      largest circulations first?

      ***Do it concurrently.

      3. Will the large publications publish a story if it was already
      published a month or
      couple of months ago in a small publication ?

      ***Some will. Some won't. It depends on the story and the accompanying images that you send. It also depends on how the press release is written and presented. It appears that the OP of this email may not have a marketing plan in place--one with timelines, target markets, etc. The thing that I think most important is not where to send a press release, but how to write it so that it is directed, punchy, balanced and drives people where you want them to go. A press release is a tool. All too often the press releases that get overlooked miss the mark in hooking even small-time editors.

      I can't claim credit for this book, but I've used it extensively in my workshops. It's called 101 Ways to Promote Yourself. Even if all you ever do is read the table of contents, it is well worth the price. I've even seen it listed on abe.com. Raleigh Pinskey, the author, still is active in online PR groups. You can search her and join her group. She has regular online seminars and is quite good at guiding others who want to do their own PR.

      Barb