Please help - marcom / PR issue

  • maria_hernandez100
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2007
      Please help - Press Releases

      I am helping a consumer internet startup. I am not very knowledgeable
      when it comes to Press Releases.

      Would anyone be kind enough to answer some questions:

      1.How good / bad are the Free / low cost online PR distribution
      services like PrWeb etc ?
      -Has anyone used them ? Are they effective ?
      - Do they leave a bad impression on people reading them..indicating this
      startup is a fly by night without resources to hire a real pro PR agency ?
      -Do these mass online services just publish the PR on their site or
      do they actually send them to the reporters in the publications via email?
      - Would anyone recommend any particular company that does a good job ?

      2.If one is doing it onself ..Is it best to start sending Press
      Releases to small
      publications and then build up to the larger publications ?
      or should one send them to all at one time ?
      or should it be the other way around ie send to the publications with the
      largest circulations first?

      3. Will the large publications publish a story if it was already
      published a month or
      couple of months ago in a small publication ?

      Any help / pointers on this would be highly appreciated.

      Thanks,
    • Joe B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2007
        Since no one else has rung in here, allow me to offer up my somewhat
        jaded opinions (I work at PRWeb).

        Is PRWeb effective? Very and at a low price point. Of course, for
        some $80 a pop is a challenge but we've provide high value with long-
        term gains for a low price.

        The free services are not going to do anything negative towards your
        efforts when used but they do require time spent. Expect them to
        provide a web page for your release and for that page to be found and
        indexed by the search and news engines. You can do the same by
        posting your release on your web site and pinging the search and news
        engines to crawl your site.

        To see part of the difference, I recommend reviewing the releases
        that are going out via the services you are considering and searching
        online for the headline. How many places and where does it appear?

        Regarding the impression left by a low-cost release, I just received
        an email from a first-time client that stated, "I scored a tons of
        props for handling the last-minute campaign with the tight pre-
        holiday deadline - people thought we'd used an agency rather than one
        dude with a $200 budget ;-)!" High-end agencies and Fortune 100
        companies use these services as much as the sole proprietor with
        hardly any budget. Here's an $80 release that looks very professional
        on both PRWeb's and Yahoo! News' sites
        (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/11/prweb572900.htm and
        http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20071130/bs_prweb/prweb572900_1).

        Regarding which outlets to send to, when setting up an online
        release, you will identify the relevant industries/topics rather than
        specific outlets. We'll use this information to push your release to
        an opt-in audience with an expressed interest in your release.

        Regarding media's interest in not publishing new news about a company
        if they've recently done something on that company already, the level
        that news is relevant to their audience will always determine this.
        Happily, online news releases don't stopped being effective if the
        media doesn't run with them. Your ultimate audience is using the
        Google and Yahoo! search boxes more than they are reading
        publications. So your releases provide more opportunities to be found
        where your audience is and at the time they are most interested in
        your offering.

        I hope I have helped. I recently put up a list of online press
        release tips which you may also find useful
        (http://beaulaurier.net/blog/top-10-tips-for-launching-an-online-
        press-release/2007/11/21/).

        Regards,

        Joe Beaulaurier
        PRWeb

        --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "maria_hernandez100"
        <maria_hernandez100@...> wrote:

        > Please help - Press Releases
        >
        > I am helping a consumer internet startup. I am not very
        knowledgeable
        > when it comes to Press Releases.
        >

        > Would anyone be kind enough to answer some questions:
        >
        > 1.How good / bad are the Free / low cost online PR distribution
        > services like PrWeb etc ?
        > -Has anyone used them ? Are they effective ?
        > - Do they leave a bad impression on people reading them..indicating
        this
        > startup is a fly by night without resources to hire a real pro PR
        agency ?
        > -Do these mass online services just publish the PR on their site or
        > do they actually send them to the reporters in the publications via
        email?
        > - Would anyone recommend any particular company that does a good
        job ?

        > 2.If one is doing it onself ..Is it best to start sending Press
        > Releases to small
        > publications and then build up to the larger publications ?
        > or should one send them to all at one time ?
        > or should it be the other way around ie send to the publications
        with the
        > largest circulations first?
        >

        > 3. Will the large publications publish a story if it was already
        > published a month or
        > couple of months ago in a small publication ?
        >

        > Any help / pointers on this would be highly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,

      • Adrienne secrect