Who's 's Who in [blank] useful?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2007
      Has everyone else received a pile of these "you've been nominated for
      inclusion in the 'Who's Who' of [insert your industry here]."

      I swear I get like five of these a year. Does anyone actually care
      about these things?

      Since this one is for general business pros versus public relations,
      I'm actually inclined to fill out my info. Plus, since I'm starting my
      own firm, I'm wondering if this would be at all useful for networking.
      It's a printed book as well as online listing. There's no cost unless
      I wanted to buy the book.

      Would this make one bit of difference to anyone anywhere? Qnother
      resume credit isn't really what I'm after.

      Is there a downside to this, e.g., they're regarded as a book of the
      biggest egos in business 2007-2008?
    • Joan Weinberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2007
        If this helps: Companies come to me when they're looking for a PR firm
        anywhere worldwide. I do their homework for them by interviewing the PR
        firms, slim this down to a short list based on a variety of factors
        including chemistry, make the introductions, walk them through the process
        (pitch/proposals/negotiations) and then monitor the account for its
        duration. (Am currently performing PR matches in NY, London, Nigeria, Hong
        Kong, Shanghai and India.)

        If while performing a match I see a Who's Who listed on a PR firm's site, I
        pass and look for a different PR firm. Period. I respect people who have a
        university degree or a "degree" from the school of hard knocks. I personally
        lose respect for people who feel the need to inflate themselves via a Who's
        Who.

        This past week I was at a PR firm's site and sure enough, saw the Who's Who.
        The client still wanted to speak to the PR firm. I told them to do it
        without me but that it wouldn't be a good match. And it wasn't. They
        reported back that the firm's founder was on a major ego trip.

        This is not to say that YOU'RE on an ego trip or that all of those who go
        the Who's Who route are on ego trips. It's just to let you know that I'd
        advise that you stay away from this kind of make believe should it be
        misinterpreted. Get noticed for your hard work. That's the best kind and the
        most honest kind of recognition there is.

        Joan

        Joan Weinberg
        Free World-wide PR Firm Search Services
        Representing 250+ Tech, Life Sci,
        Corporate and Consumer PR Firms
        EMEA . US . Asia-Pacific
        Tel: +972-3-575-5448
        Fax: +972-3-575-5449
        Mobile: +972-522-202-484
        e: <mailto:jow@...> jow@...
        Skype: JoanW1 <skype:marellamotti?call>
        <skype:marellamotti?call>

        _____

        Has everyone else received a pile of these "you've been nominated for
        inclusion in the 'Who's Who' of [insert your industry here]."

        I swear I get like five of these a year. Does anyone actually care
        about these things?

        Since this one is for general business pros versus public relations,
        I'm actually inclined to fill out my info. Plus, since I'm starting my
        own firm, I'm wondering if this would be at all useful for networking.
        It's a printed book as well as online listing. There's no cost unless
        I wanted to buy the book.

        Would this make one bit of difference to anyone anywhere? Qnother
        resume credit isn't really what I'm after.

        Is there a downside to this, e.g., they're regarded as a book of the
        biggest egos in business 2007-2008?

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        8:57 PM

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2007
          Probably can't hurt -definitely won't help

          Ned Barnett, APR

          Fellow in PR/Marketing, American Hospital Association

          CEO - Barnett Marketing Communications

          420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3-276

          Las Vegas, NV 89110

          702-696-1200 - ned@...

          http://www.barnettmarcom.com

        • sanibelart@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 16, 2007
            I provided a profile to 'Who's Who in the US' many years ago. In my naivete', I was flattered and proud to be asked. (Heck, I even bought the book one year.) I don't know that it ever added anything of substance to my marketability. Probably not. But it made me feel good to know it was there. And, for an insecure worker in the creative vineyards, it gave me a little more confidence in my abilities.

            You know, some of us can use all the strokes we can get. <grin>

            Sincerely,
            William Ernest Waites
            Eyewriter
            "Words that make pictures." (c)