RE: [prbytes] Free Intl Call service=Cross Posted

  • Edna Kaplan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
      For international calls I've been using an international prepaid phone card
      purchased at local convenient stores. The card du jour is from RTK Telecom.
      It costs a penny a minute and Australia is listed. The card costs $5.
      The price is right, but it does requiring dialing an access number and a
      pin.

      Edna

      Please note new office telephone number

      ****************
      Edna Kaplan
      KOGS Communication

      p: 781-639-1910

      m: 617-974-8659
      <mailto:kaplan@...> kaplan@...

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
        Skype is still free.

        You can also use www.jajah.com if both parties (or more -- you can do conf
        calls) sign up. Improvement over Skype: The calls are voip but via
        telephone. You'll get kicked off after an hour, but you can just redial.

        Joan

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
          Phone cards are a great way to call overseas inexpensively. Here are
          some suggestions....

          Get phone cards that use local phone numbers (instead of toll free
          numbers) to access the system. You'll get much more caling time for
          your money.

          Dialing the access number and the code over and over can be a bother,
          You can streamline the process by programming the access number into
          your desk phone, then dialing it at the press of a button. You can do
          the same thing with the PIN number.

          You can also do this with most cellphones. For instance, when I call
          up a phone number overseas, I have previously entered the local access
          number, pause command, pin number, wait command, and overseas
          telephone number (all in one string) into my cellphone.

          I select the name I want, I press to dial, and the cellphone calls the
          card access number...it answers....

          ....then....PAUSE 2 (I set the phone to pause for a voice prompt
          asking me which language I want, then to select choice 2)...

          ...then...PAUSE....for ...xxxxxxxxxxxx (the PIN number)...

          ...then ...WAIT...and I physically press the button to dial the
          person's number and complete the call.

          Almost every cellphone has the ability to add PAUSE and WAIT commands
          to a phone number listing. Usually it's the * or # buttons. If you
          press one of them twice it will show a "p" in the phone number (for
          pause) and pressing the other one three times will get you a "w" (for
          wait). If your cellphone carrier can't help you, contact the phone
          manufacturer in order to get the correct button commands.