Free Intl Call service=Cross Posted

  • detour3
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
      I guess the days of Skype offering free in't calls is gone. Does anyone
      use a reliable service that allows conference calling internationally
      and is free or cheaper than Skype? Skype offers the first 10 minutes
      free and then about .20-.25 cents per minute to call Australia. Any
      suggestions?
    • Edna Kaplan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
        For international calls I've been using an international prepaid phone card
        purchased at local convenient stores. The card du jour is from RTK Telecom.
        It costs a penny a minute and Australia is listed. The card costs $5.
        The price is right, but it does requiring dialing an access number and a
        pin.

        Edna

        Please note new office telephone number

        ****************
        Edna Kaplan
        KOGS Communication

        p: 781-639-1910

        m: 617-974-8659
        <mailto:kaplan@...> kaplan@...

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
          Skype is still free.

          You can also use www.jajah.com if both parties (or more -- you can do conf
          calls) sign up. Improvement over Skype: The calls are voip but via
          telephone. You'll get kicked off after an hour, but you can just redial.

          Joan

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
            Phone cards are a great way to call overseas inexpensively. Here are
            some suggestions....

            Get phone cards that use local phone numbers (instead of toll free
            numbers) to access the system. You'll get much more caling time for
            your money.

            Dialing the access number and the code over and over can be a bother,
            You can streamline the process by programming the access number into
            your desk phone, then dialing it at the press of a button. You can do
            the same thing with the PIN number.

            You can also do this with most cellphones. For instance, when I call
            up a phone number overseas, I have previously entered the local access
            number, pause command, pin number, wait command, and overseas
            telephone number (all in one string) into my cellphone.

            I select the name I want, I press to dial, and the cellphone calls the
            card access number...it answers....

            ....then....PAUSE 2 (I set the phone to pause for a voice prompt
            asking me which language I want, then to select choice 2)...

            ...then...PAUSE....for ...xxxxxxxxxxxx (the PIN number)...

            ...then ...WAIT...and I physically press the button to dial the
            person's number and complete the call.

            Almost every cellphone has the ability to add PAUSE and WAIT commands
            to a phone number listing. Usually it's the * or # buttons. If you
            press one of them twice it will show a "p" in the phone number (for
            pause) and pressing the other one three times will get you a "w" (for
            wait). If your cellphone carrier can't help you, contact the phone
            manufacturer in order to get the correct button commands.