PRESENTATIONS : SOFTWARE : MICROSOFT: OFFICE: POWERPOINT: Are We Wasting $250 Million per Day Due to Bad PowerPoint?

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 2:28 PM
      PRESENTATIONS :
      SOFTWARE :
      MICROSOFT: OFFICE: POWERPOINT:
      Are We Wasting $250 Million per Day Due to Bad PowerPoint?

      Are We Wasting $250 Million per Day Due to Bad PowerPoint?
      By Dave Paradi, MBA, co-author of "Guide to PowerPoint"
      Think Outside the Slide
      <http://www.thinkoutsidetheslide.com/
      articles/wasting_250M_bad_ppt.htm>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://tinyurl.com/2bexsh>

      The cost of a poor PowerPoint presentation is staggering. Ian Parker in
      The New Yorker magazine states that according to Microsoft estimates,
      there are more than 30 million PowerPoint presentations made each day. If
      we assume some relatively conservative meeting parameters of four people
      per presentation, a half-hour presentation on average and the wasted time
      due to a poor presentation is one-quarter of the presentation time, we
      arrive at a waste of 15 million person hours per day. At an average salary
      of $35,000 per year for those attending the meeting, the cost of that
      wasted time is a staggering $252 million and change each day.

      So many people today cringe when they see a presenter fire up a computer
      and launch into a PowerPoint presentation. We have seen so many bad
      presentations that we get fearful every time we see another one start. In
      actual fact, it isnt the tool that we dislike, it is the way that the tool
      is used that we dislike.

      Too many presenters think that just by using the PowerPoint tool, they
      dont need to properly plan their presentation. Any tool is useful only if
      it is used properly. Here are four specific reasons that we dont like most
      of the presentations we see.

      ---------------------------------------

      The entire article, which goes on to cover the points below, may be read
      in its entirety at the URL above.

      We Can't Figure Out the Point of the Presentation
      We Can't See What is On the Screen
      We Can't Understand the Points
      We Are Distracted By What Is On The Screen

      ----------------------------

      What is the REAL Cost of Poor Presentations?
      By Dave Paradi, MBA, co-author of "Guide to PowerPoint"
      <http://www.thinkoutsidetheslide.com/articles/real_cost_presn.htm>

      The costs of a poor sales presentation include a longer purchasing
      decision cycle, requests for more information before a purchase is made
      and ultimately a smaller sale or no sale at all. The costs of a poor
      internal presentation include delayed decisions, more meetings to clarify
      the issue, additional information requested, incorrect decisions and
      sometimes a negative impact on ones career. The dollar cost of the poor
      sales presentation is easier to calculate because the largest component is
      the lost revenue.

      The dollar cost of a poor internal presentation is harder to calculate
      because we dont see it show up on a sales report. Even though it is harder
      to calculate, it is important to consider. The dollar costs of a poor
      internal presentation are primarily contained in the extra time that
      people spend because the message was not clear the first time. Examples of
      this extra time include the hours spent doing extra research, preparing
      additional documentation, more one-on-one discussions, more time spent in
      group meetings to clarify the original message and more time spent
      reviewing additional documentation.

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard
      Temple University
      (215) 204 - 4584
      jwne@...
      Net-Gold
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
      <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
      <http://groups.google.com/group/net-gold?hl=en>
      <http://net-gold.jiglu.com/>
      General Internet & Print Resources
      <http://library.temple.edu/articles/subject_guides/general.jsp>
      <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
      Educator-Gold
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Educator-Gold/>
      K12ADMINLIFE
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K12AdminLIFE/>
      Nina Dillard's Photographs
      <http://homepage.mac.com/neemers1/PhotoAlbum3.html>
      Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
      <http://tinyurl.com/36qd2o>
      Net-Gold Membership Required to View Photos