More on PR and Va Tech

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
      Some of you know I've written a thoughtful and well-reasoned column
      on the Virginia Tech tragedy for IABC - it will be published in the
      next issue - and provides a fact-based analysis, along with some
      specific recommendations.

      Jack O'Dwyer asked me to write a very different column for his online
      publication - one that cuts to the heart of what I think are the PR
      failures there - specifically, that the University acted too late and
      with too little in protecting it's students; and, when they did
      finally act, they gave fatally-flawed advice (and I'm not making a
      joke - that advice, to hide behind locked doors instead of running
      away, may have led to some of the deaths - the victims were found
      huddled in rooms where they made easy and unresisting targets for the
      madman who executed them).

      The column also notes that their disaster plan was not field-tested,
      and it did not (apparently) have an after-the-crisis component that
      would guide them in rebuilding their shattered image with students,
      faculty, staff, alumni, parents or Virginia taxpayers, voters and
      legislators. These are two elements that should ALWAYS be in crisis
      PR plans (but almost never - at least not in my experience - are included).

      You can see this new column
      at: http://www.odwyerpr.com/members/0601comm_barnett_vtech.htm - if
      you have a problem getting there to the online article, ask Jack
      (jack@...) how you can see it or drop me a note and I'll
      send you a copy.

      Once the IABC column comes out (Jonathan has seen a draft - but it's
      not yet been released publicly), I'll give you a link to that, too.

      All the best

      Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

      Barnett Marketing Communications

      Corporate Office
      420 N. Nellis Blvd., Suite A3-276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110 - 702-696-1200
      ***
      Regional Office
      929 W. Sunset Blvd., Suite 21-134 - St. George, UT 84770 - 435-634-8391
      ***
      E-Mail & Website: ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com
      ***
      FAX: (call before Faxing) 435-652-3621
      ***
      Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
      http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

    • Michael Driehorst
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
        Without reading Ned's column and playing a bit of devil'd advocate. . . .

        Would any reasonable crisis plan have dealt with what happened at
        Virginia Tech?

        The point about the after-the-crisis component, or lacking of in most
        PR plans, is dead-on.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
          At 01:30 PM 6/1/2007, you wrote:

          >Without reading Ned's column and playing a bit of devil'd advocate. . . .
          >
          >Would any reasonable crisis plan have dealt with what happened at
          >Virginia Tech?

          Yes. After Columbine, Hell Yes!!! After the NYC Subway shooting on
          Long Island, absolutely. After Luby's Cafeteria in Texas, without a
          doubt. Point is, this isn't the first insane-person-mass-shooting;
          since we know it can happen, we should plan on it.

          >The point about the after-the-crisis component, or lacking of in
          >most PR plans, is dead-on.

          Thanks.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
            Congrats, Ned. Two good opportunities for Barnett Marcom!

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
              Thanks!