What's your style?

  • Michael Driehorst
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
      I'm putting together an Internet term styleguide for my company, and
      am curious as to what you typically use.

      Such as do you capitalize Internet? (Wired magazine doesn't.)

      What about e-mail v E-mail v email?

      What are some of the more common terms you use, and why do you use
      them that way?

      I'm mostly using Dictionary.com for sources. Also looking at
      Webopedia.com. Any other good, credible sources?

      Mike

      Mike Driehorst
      Messaging Strategist

      H A N S O N I N C .
      Maumee, Ohio 43537
    • Richard B Barger ABC APR
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2007
        - Internet
        - intranet
        - email (because it's simpler, takes less space [who cares?], and is
        readily understood and not often confused)
        - e-anythingelse
        - internal caps on URLs, where it will make them better-understood:
        Rich@..., Rich@..., eWorldWire.com
        - bullet points
        - "chunking"
        - Don't forget page titles and tags and other searchable, behind-the-scenes
        text or instructions

        Of course, if it's to be published in AP or elsewhere, their style wins
        over mine. The idea is coverage, not my ego.

        That's the top-of-the-head short list, Mike.

        Cheers!

        Rich Barger, ABC, APR
        The Words Guy
        http://www.CornerBarPR.com

        ---

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2007
          "Wired Style" (there's an actual book) was the bible back in the day -
          meaning 10 years ago or so - but I find a lot of it outdated now.

          I still capitalize "Internet" and even "Web" and " 'Net " if I use
          those. "Web site" is two words. There's no hyphen in "email."

          A common one for some of my clients is the distinction of "online,"
          meaning on the Internet, versus "on-line" - meaning available and
          operational, or the opposite of off-line. Ordinarily I'd prefer no
          hyphen in "offline" but I find that it's logical if I'm using both
          terms, such as "servers can be on- or off-line."

          There are a couple of acronyms that are a mix of upper- and lower-case
          letters, and that's odd. "VoIP" is one of them (voice over Internet
          protocol) and that spawned "SoIP" (storage over IP). The initial i in
          "iSCSI" is not capitalized, even if it starts a sentence. Then there's
          unofficial but widely used versions of longer terms, such as "GigE"
          for "Gigabit Ethernet."

          As far as abbreviations and acronyms, it often depends on the audience
          for the particular press release or whatnot. Some terms are so common
          among the 150-200 editors and analysts we work with that it's
          pointless and irritating (maybe even insulting) to spell something
          out. So I don't bother writing out "Network-Attached Storage" even
          once in a document, even though it would be stylistically proper; I
          say "NAS" every time. In the Internet arena, I assume nobody bothers
          to spell out "Hypertext Markup Language" any more either. But a term
          that isn't widely used and understood among our crowd would justify
          it: "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act" - i.e. HIPAA.

          Speeds and feeds are sometimes a matter of debate. When I mention
          capacity, I always spell out "megabytes," "terabytes," etc. on first
          reference, and abbreviate it thereafter (MB, TB). I don't use an 's'
          with the abbreviation and I make sure there's a space between the
          number and the abbreviation: "10 TB," not "10TB" or "10 TBs." For
          performance, I also spell out "megabytes per second" and abbreviate
          thereafter to "MB/sec."

          I've droned on long enough, so I'll close by saying I write for about
          12 different tech companies, and they do have some individual
          preferences and quirks, e-mail versus email has been one of them. I'm
          happy to say the hyphen does seem to be going away at this point!

          Cheers,
          Kezia

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
            I agree with Rich on these:

            > - intranet
            > - e-anything else

            As in e-tail, e-photo (though i-photo was big for a minute)

            I disagree on this:

            > - internal caps on URLs, where it will make them better-understood:
            > Rich@..., Rich@..., eWorldWire.com

            ...because it usually is just a corporate ego branding thing, and
            doesn't aid understanding. On this I tend to lose to client preference.

            And I agree that AP Style, if applicable, takes precedence.
          • David P. Dillard
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
              First of all, I would like to complement Kezia Jauron on an informative,
              useful and well written post, my tip of the hat on this effort.

              Perhaps tangential, but important as more and more of the sources we refer
              to are electronic is the issue of citing and identifying online sources of
              a variety of kinds. These Net-Gold posts point to sources that assist
              with these kinds of sources in terms of describing and citing them.

              WRITING AND WRITERS: CITATION FORMAT: FOOTNOTES ENDNOTES BIBLIOGRAPHY :
              WRITING AND WRITERS CITATION FORMAT ONLINE ELECTRONIC INTERNET DATABASE:
              Resources for Documenting Electronic Sources
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/15662>

              WRITING AND WRITERS: CITATION FORMAT: FOOTNOTES ENDNOTES BIBLIOGRAPHY :
              WRITING AND WRITERS CITATION FORMAT ONLINE ELECTRONIC INTERNET DATABASE:
              Citation Styles Online
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/15661>

              WRITING AND WRITERS: STYLE AND WRITING MANUALS:
              Citing Internet And Print Resources
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/15269>

              WRITING AND WRITERS; STYLE AND WRITING MANUALS; Using American
              Psychological Association (APA) Format
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/9705>
              <http://www.apastyle.org/elecref.html>

              LAW : LEGAL CITATIONS STYLE MANUALS : WRITING AND WRITERS: STYLE AND
              WRITING MANUALS: Handbooks and Guides to Legal Citation Format and
              Techniques: A Selection of Sources on the Internet and in Print
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/9261>

              EDUCATION: RESOURCES : INTERNET: RESOURCES : REFERENCE: RESOURCES: Key
              Reference and Internet Guides in Net-Gold
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/7792>

              REFERENCE: TOOLS: HANDBOOKS: General Handbooks and Websites on the
              Internet Providing Facts and Information: A Selection of Resources
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/7706>

              WRITING AND WRITERS: RHETORIC AND SKILLS :
              WRITING AND WRITERS: STYLE AND WRITING MANUALS:
              Helping Your Students to Do the Write Thing
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/3129>

              This post may also be of interest to the information seekers on this
              discussion group.

              REFERENCE: ENCYCLOPEDIAS :
              REFERENCE: ONLINE REFERENCE SOURCES AND TOOLS :
              WIKIS:
              Look Who's Using Wikipedia
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/17254>

              These sources may also be of interest in regard to rhetoric in the
              electronic environments.

              Reinventing Rhetoric: The Classical Canon in the Computer Age
              <http://www.cas.usf.edu/english/walker/papers/rhetoric.html>

              The Composition Links
              <http://www.cod.edu/academic/acadprog/tranprog/engl_com/composit.htm>

              Basics: A Rhetoric and Handbook