Re: [prbytes] hyphen?

  • Richard B Barger ABC APR
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
      It's one word, Lois.

      "Check-out," hyphenated, is an adjective form: "The pilot went through
      his check-out routine."

      "Check out" as two words is slang for "look at": "Check out them
      babes!"

      But to complete a transaction, the term is "checkout."

      Cheers!

      Rich Barger, ABC, APR
      The Words Guy
      http://www.CornerBarPR.com

      ---

      "Kirkpatrick, Lois M." wrote:

      > We're launching a new service called "express check out." It allows
      > people to scan their own library books, in the same way that many
      > grocery stores now allow you to scan your own food. Should we put a
      > hyphen between the words "check" and "out"?

    • alvin.hattal
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
        I would. Five years from now, you probably won't need the hyphen, which will
        be morphed out, as in "under way," now becoming one word with The Washington
        Post showing the way.

        Al

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
          At 12:01 PM 10/10/2006, you wrote:

          >We're launching a new service called "express check out." It allows
          >people to scan their own library books, in the same way that many
          >grocery stores now allow you to scan your own food. Should we put a
          >hyphen between the words "check" and "out"?

          I would - I like grammatical tools that facilitate understanding and
          the flow of words in a sentence; in this instance, I feel the hyphen
          will do just that. I know some cite the decline of the hyphen in
          arguing to make it a single word, or to just use it as you showed it;
          I could "live with" the single word, though I'm not a big fan of
          making up words, but not the latter, as it does not promote
          understanding or flow.

          Just my views, not cited Holy Writ (i.e., I haven't checked with
          Strunk & White)

          Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

          Barnett Marketing Communications
          Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

          420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
          Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
          ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

          Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
          Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
          Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
          http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

          BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
              I vote for one word. To me it's like backup/back up or checkup/check
              up.

              Backup, checkup, checkout are nouns or adjectives.

              Back up, check up, and check out are verbs.

              Hyphens in these instances get messy and don't provide clarity.

              --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "Kirkpatrick, Lois M."
              <Lois.Kirkpatrick@...> wrote:

              > We're launching a new service called "express check out." It allows
              > people to scan their own library books, in the same way that many
              > grocery stores now allow you to scan your own food. Should we put a
              > hyphen between the words "check" and "out"?

            • Kirkpatrick, Lois M.
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
                Thanks for weighing in, Ned and Kezia!

                Lois Kirkpatrick