XP - The Danger of Booking With Orbitz

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
      Book with Orbitz and forget about refunds. That's their policy -
      they charge you in advance, then keep your money.

      Earlier this week I booked a two-night reservation through them, and
      paid in advance. I had to check out early, and when I went to them
      for a refund for the unused room, "no refunds." No exceptions.

      Deal with Orbitz and prepare to get screwed, blued and
      tatooed. There are lots of legitimate travel services out there -
      deal with crooks at your own risk.

      I'm busy trying to figure out how to get a refund - any suggestions
      would be appreciated. And I'll do everything I can to make sure that
      this little stunt of theirs costs them far more than they'd ever get
      by keeping my hundred bucks. So please, if you've got suggestions,
      pass them on. And if you know anybody who travels, pass this along.

      Thanks

      Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

      Barnett Marketing Communications
      Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

      420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
      Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
      ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

      Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
      http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

      BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

    • Michael Driehorst
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
        While I've never booked rooms via Orbitz, I've had pretty good success booking flights -- and changing them -- and cars. So has my wife for her work.

        Like a lot of things, read the fine print.

        So, one bad experience does not a bad company make.

        And, as always, YMMV.

        Mike

        Michael Driehorst
        Y!IM: miked918
        AIM: mcdriehorst
        blog: www.mikespoints.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
          I'd tend to agree, EXCEPT ...

          My complaint with them is not just that they have
          this hidden weasel clause (they do have that),
          but the way their personnel handled it. I spoke
          with five different customer service people on
          two different days, as well as two different
          supervisors; every one of them had a bad
          (near-terminal) case of supercilious-snot
          syndrome, and made absolutely no pretense of showing any kind of interest.

          For instance, two of them had me go in great
          detail into the "why" of why I checked out early
          (a verifiable personal family medical emergency)
          - only to later tell me that no justifications
          (including verifiable personal family medical
          emergencies) could qualify for an exemption - I
          guess they were just tragedy voyeurs, but they
          pumped me for personal details for no good reason
          at all (since all the details in the world would
          not, apparently, have changed their minds).

          To me, the no-refund policy is nothing short of
          theft. They could legitimately charge a
          "restocking" fee to cover whatever costs they
          assumed; few would complain about that. But
          keeping my money without giving me anything in
          return? That is a corporate philosophy of
          organized, systematized theft. Imagine this
          business proposition: First, imagine that Orbitz
          makes 5 percent on bookings (not an unreasonable
          amount in a discount-fueled industry) - then
          imagine that one person in a hundred canceled one
          night per trip at $100 per night (a low
          rate). Keeping that fee just drove their profit
          margin up by 20 percent - (a 20% profit margin
          would make them the envy of Wall Street) - and it
          makes me wonder if their whole business plan
          isn't built around profiting from others' misfortunes.

          You say one bad experience doesn't make a bad
          company - in that, you're right. But if you run
          the numbers and look at the company's overall
          strategy (as implied by this policy), you'll see
          that their move is intentional and may actually
          account for a big chunk of their overall bottom
          line. That makes it systematized corporate theft
          - and THAT makes them a bad company.

          So stay away - or prepare to be screwed, blued and tattooed.

          Ned

          At 07:39 AM 8/6/2006, you wrote:

          >While I've never booked rooms via Orbitz, I've
          >had pretty good success booking flights -- and
          >changing them -- and cars. So has my wife for her work.
          >
          >Like a lot of things, read the fine print.
          >
          >So, one bad experience does not a bad company make.
          >
          >And, as always, YMMV.
          >
          >Mike
          >
          >Michael Driehorst
          >Y!IM: miked918
          >AIM: mcdriehorst
          >blog: www.mikespoints.com

          Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

          Barnett Marketing Communications
          Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

          420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
          Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
          ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

          Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
          Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
          Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
          http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

          BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

        • Powers, Christopher
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
            Just a quick note from a very satisfied customer. My experiences with them have been great, and I'll continue to use them.

            Christopher Powers

            ________________________________

            At 07:39 AM 8/6/2006, you wrote:

            >While I've never booked rooms via Orbitz, I've
            >had pretty good success booking flights -- and
            >changing them -- and cars. So has my wife for her work.
            >
            >Like a lot of things, read the fine print.
            >
            >So, one bad experience does not a bad company make.
            >
            >And, as always, YMMV.
            >
            >Mike
            >
            >Michael Driehorst
            >Y!IM: miked918
            >AIM: mcdriehorst
            >blog: www.mikespoints.com

            Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

            Barnett Marketing Communications
            Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

            420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
            Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
            ned@... <mailto:ned%40barnettmarcom.com> - http://www.barnettmarcom.com <http://www.barnettmarcom.com>

            Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/ <http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/>
            Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/ <http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/>
            Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
            http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/ <http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/>

            BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

            WARNING -- Federal computer system
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
              I had nothing but good experiences with them,
              Christopher, just like you - right up until the
              moment I had a problem. Then I had a very bad
              experience, and I'm out-of-pocket $250, and I've
              been treated like shit to boot (not once, but
              five times, by five different people - suggesting
              that it's corporate policy, rather than a fluke).

              Obviously, you've not had any problems, or you'd
              be singing a different tune. With all the
              competitive services out there, you use Orbitz at
              your own risk. If you're happy with the risk, go
              for it - but when you finally have a problem, don't say I didn't warn you.

              Ned