Re: Thoughts

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2006
      From a PR perspective, I'd be delighted to get this much mileage out
      of one bylined article. This question seems to apply more to the
      professional writer than to us marketeers.

      I agree that the trend these days is toward exclusive rights to a
      contributed article. Editors know that they can type in a short
      string of words into Lexis-Nexis and find out if an outside piece is
      really previously unpublished. They have to do this, because PR
      people don't always have the truth about the source of an article
      (to put it generously).

      In my industry the times are pretty much gone where vendors were
      able to contribute work to trade publications, but in many cases we
      appended a disclaimer to publication agreements we weren't
      completely comfortable with:

      "Please note the following:
      The above referenced piece to be published in (publication) may also
      be distributed by (company) internally, and at events and shows they
      attend. It may also be on (company) web page. While (company) has no
      knowledge of this article being published in a competitive
      publication, the company cannot be held responsible if this occurs
      without its knowledge. It is also understood that once the article
      appears in (publication), (company) may offer it to other non-
      competing publications."

      Sometimes they go for it, sometimes they don't. Based on this
      complaint, it seems fair to ask the publication to request the
      author's permission before any "commercial use," which you then
      define.

      In a capitalistic system based on the laws of supply and demand,
      though, I see no reason why a reputable publisher needs to comply
      with prima donna-like demands of contributors. Good writers are a
      dime a dozen, and there are a gazillion others who'd be happy to see
      their work reused in the ways you describe for the added exposure.