Thoughts

  • Deon Binneman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2006
      What is your take on this? This just came in via another list.

      "I am happy to have direct contact with an editor through this list. There
      is something I always wanted to ask "direct":

      Before the internet, when a publication such as yours featured an article by
      someone (be it paid or not), it was reproduced "once" and "in print only".

      Since the advent of the internet, magazines and newspapers have created a
      whole series of "continuous" commercial use(s) for the same article, after
      it appears in print:

      a) They sell the same article again and again (printed out, or by email
      delivery)

      b) They sell access and viewing of the article through "pay per view"

      c) They sell it again as part of a collection of articles.

      d) Many have also created "online education", whereby they use the same
      article to give online seminars and text material.

      e) The publication actually registers the article with copyright authorities
      as if they (the publication) own copyright to it.

      Usually, such publications forget to inform the author of the article that
      they plan to make commercial use of it in many other manners (see above).

      For the author of the article this is quite disturbing.

      Has your publication thought on how to handle the above and reach an
      agreeable agreement with the authors concerned?

      Deon Binneman
      Phone: (27) 011 475 3515
      Fax: 0866 129 566
      Mobile: 083 425 4318
      Skype: deonbin
      Messenger IM: deonbin43@...
      E-mail: deonbin@...
      REPUCOMM
      Johannesburg, South Africa

      It is not our intention to send this email to those who do not wish to
      receive it. If you do not wish to hear from us, please write to us so that
      we can remove you from the list. Please be sure to reply using the email
      address that we sent to as otherwise it is difficult to trace the details
      and guarantee the removal. To ensure complete removal, please inform us of
      any other email addresses that default to your mailbox.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2006
        From a PR perspective, I'd be delighted to get this much mileage out
        of one bylined article. This question seems to apply more to the
        professional writer than to us marketeers.

        I agree that the trend these days is toward exclusive rights to a
        contributed article. Editors know that they can type in a short
        string of words into Lexis-Nexis and find out if an outside piece is
        really previously unpublished. They have to do this, because PR
        people don't always have the truth about the source of an article
        (to put it generously).

        In my industry the times are pretty much gone where vendors were
        able to contribute work to trade publications, but in many cases we
        appended a disclaimer to publication agreements we weren't
        completely comfortable with:

        "Please note the following:
        The above referenced piece to be published in (publication) may also
        be distributed by (company) internally, and at events and shows they
        attend. It may also be on (company) web page. While (company) has no
        knowledge of this article being published in a competitive
        publication, the company cannot be held responsible if this occurs
        without its knowledge. It is also understood that once the article
        appears in (publication), (company) may offer it to other non-
        competing publications."

        Sometimes they go for it, sometimes they don't. Based on this
        complaint, it seems fair to ask the publication to request the
        author's permission before any "commercial use," which you then
        define.

        In a capitalistic system based on the laws of supply and demand,
        though, I see no reason why a reputable publisher needs to comply
        with prima donna-like demands of contributors. Good writers are a
        dime a dozen, and there are a gazillion others who'd be happy to see
        their work reused in the ways you describe for the added exposure.