Re: [prbytes] Re: PR Proposals 2 Clients

  • Events in the City
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
      Thanks Ned. as always you are a wealth of information.I agree being Candid is the best policy. But the problem is the Juvenile Advocate said she is paying for both campaigns...her campaign and the Sports/Court Lawyer's campaign.

      So this has to be managed very carefully since there is a gray area that needs to be made black and white.

      Ned Barnett <ned@...> wrote:
      Lisa

      I had not seen this - my coverage of PR lists seems spotty, a factor
      I blame on Yahoo (even with my own group, I often do not see emails
      sent to the group).

      Here's my bottom line:

      1. Yes, it's two campaigns. That should not be a problem. Remember,
      attorneys often work on more than one client (often? always!) - why
      should you be any different. Just make sure that everybody
      understands who you're working for (and on which project) at any
      given time, and be VERY careful in billing to delineate services.

      2. I am often amazed at the number of problems that can be resolved
      by aggressive candor. If you tell the Sports attorney (I hope I'm
      getting this straight) that the Juvenile Advocate wants to pay you to
      promote the SA - but only on cases involving the JA - and that this
      will have nothing to do with the SA's practice-building
      self-promotion, where's the harm? It seems that the SA is getting a
      bit of a free ride, but not in an area where s/he wants to build
      business. Since lawyers subcontract with/to one another all the time
      (many lawyers ONLY work for other lawyers, offering specialty
      services in areas of expertise), this should not be foreign to
      them. The key to candor is to really be candid. Let A know what B
      is doing, and vice-versa ... but if A asks what B is being charged,
      say, "that's privileged information, A - you can ask B if you'd like,
      but I'm not at liberty to divulge that. By the same token, when we
      work together, our business relationship will be kept just as
      confidential. Since attorneys ALSO understand confidentiality, that
      should work, too.

      3. It's nobody's damned business (pardon my French) what you charge
      your various clients - except, of course, for your clients (but only
      their own accounts) and your tax accountant. There is no good reason
      to charge similar rates for dissimilar services; and, frankly, some
      clients pay published rates, while others are skilled
      negotiators. No reason to give everybody a discount just because one
      client negotiated a better rate.

      Hope this helps

      Ned

      At 02:30 PM 6/7/2006, Events in the City wrote:
      >Hi Ned, how's it going, I posted this on the PRBytes group but just
      >in case you dont get it..please let me know your insight on my
      >questions below..thanks
      >
      >Elisa
      >
      >Hello I am currently in negotiations with handling two new clients.
      >One client is a Court Lawyer the other client is a Juvenile Legal
      >Rights Advocate.
      >
      >I met with the Sports lawyer first and he agreed that he wanted me
      >to handle his Sports business and to line up Speaking Engagements
      >for his company.
      >
      >Then I got a call from the Juvenile Legal Rights Advocate who was
      >referred to me by the Court Lawyer. To make a long story
      >short..neither client has signed on yet. But the Juvenile Advocate
      >just sent me an email and called regarding her pr strategy. She now
      >wants me to represent her and the Sports Lawyer. Not usually a
      >problem. but now the Juvenile Advocate says she will pay for me to
      >represent the Courts Lawyer to talk about the work he has done for her case.
      >
      >The problem is ..I have already sent a PR Campaign Proposal to the
      >Court Lawyer which he has not signed off on yet. This is for a
      >totally different campaign targeting his sports law business.
      >
      >My questions are as follows:
      >
      >1) Isn't this (2) Separate PR Campaigns? Even thought the two cases
      >overlap since the Sports Lawyer represented my client in court for
      >other issues?
      >2) How do I break this to the Juvenile Advocate client gently
      >without ruffling any feathers?
      >
      >3) How do I structure a PR Campaign to make sure I dont get taken
      >advantage of by representing (2) clients and getting paid by one
      >client for less money?
      >I would appreciate your advice ASAP.
      >Thanks
      >Lisa
      >

      >Elisa Keys
      >Director, Marketing and Advertising
      >Events in the City
      >201-679-8459

      >http://mail.yahoo.com

      Ned Barnett, APR
      Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

      Barnett Marketing Communications
      Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

      420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
      Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
      ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

      Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
      http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

      BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2006
        At 07:44 PM 6/7/2006, you wrote:

        >Thanks Ned. as always you are a wealth of information.I agree being
        >Candid is the best policy. But the problem is the Juvenile Advocate
        >said she is paying for both campaigns...her campaign and the
        >Sports/Court Lawyer's campaign.

        She can't do that without the S/C lawyer's permission. You have a
        fiduciary responsibility to your client; however, that responsibility
        flows both ways, and is created by your client (and not some third
        party) paying you. Whomever pays you, to that person alone do you
        owe your professional loyalty.

        As Rich said, she's your client - the S/C lawyer is just a tool, a
        prop, a means toward promoting your client.

        >So this has to be managed very carefully since there is a gray area
        >that needs to be made black and white.

        It is black-and-white. Follow the money, the golden rule (it's her
        gold, so it's her rules).

        Good luck

        Ned