Re: [prbytes] Press conference -- dead or alive?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2006
      Press releases are viable when you have "theater" to go with it - the
      unveiling of a long-awaited new product, the announcement (with
      subsequent Q&A) of a new executive or official, etc.

      However, for run-of-the-mill announcements, fuggidabowtit (at least
      in my opinion)

      Ned

      At 12:38 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
      >I'm in a new position and a new city. Although I've worked in PR for a
      >number of years, it's been a while since I've done much media work.
      >The agency I'm working with is wanting to schedule a press conference
      >to announce a new inititive. I'm wondering if that is still a viable
      >option for attracting coverage, especially in a mid-size metro market.
      >Obviously, I know the president does it as do police, etc., but what
      >about other agencies and for something that isn't already on the radar
      >screen?
      >
      >Anyone had experience with this and how has it worked?
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Ned Barnett, APR
      Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

      Barnett Marketing Communications
      Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

      420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
      Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
      ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

      Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
      http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

      BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
        There's not much information here to go on, such as what type of
        announcement it is, so it's hard for me to answer. In general I think a
        press conference is called for only for really time-sensitive, really
        big news.

        Still, a press conference shouldn't replace one-on-one briefings with
        key journalists. Be aware it will do nothing to build relationships, in
        fact the opposite may even be true. You run the risk of
        communicating 'you aren't important enough for us to give you this
        story personally.'

        It can also backfire if journalists see all their competition in one
        room. They may figure that if everyone else is already covering this
        story, why should I bother?

        If it has to be done this way, in addition to prebriefing your best
        targets, I assume you will want to call people to invite them. If it's
        urgent enough to hold a press conference, then it's urgent enough to
        make phone calls - and send all the who/what/wheres by email afterward
        (as in minutes afterward). With these calls and emails, I would try to
        give as much information up front as possible. They should practically
        have the story written by the time they walk in the door. Still, your
        top reporters should have access to information or sources that you
        don't give everyone so they still believe you like them best.

        And to smooth the feathers of journalists who are still annoyed that
        you made them leave their desks for _this_, have a nice spread of food.
        Hummus and baba ghannouj with pita bread triangles and fancy olives
        works almost any time of day for almost everyone's wacky diet.

        --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "djsmith16" <dmoseley@...> wrote:

        > I'm in a new position and a new city. Although I've worked in PR for
        > number of years, it's been a while since I've done much media work.
        > The agency I'm working with is wanting to schedule a press conference
        > to announce a new inititive. I'm wondering if that is still a viable
        > option for attracting coverage, especially in a mid-size metro
        market.
        > Obviously, I know the president does it as do police, etc., but what
        > about other agencies and for something that isn't already on the
        radar
        > screen?
        >
        > Anyone had experience with this and how has it worked?

      • alvin.hattal
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
          These days--and for a long time now--news conferences are appropriate only
          if no other vehicle will do the job. Reporters have enough to do and have
          long been fed up with their overuse and disappointing reasons. Best not to
          irritate them by summoning them with unnecessary ones.

          Alvin Hattal
          al@...
          www.hattal.com
          V: 425-576-1950

          > I'm in a new position and a new city. Although I've worked in PR for a
          > number of years, it's been a while since I've done much media work.
          > The agency I'm working with is wanting to schedule a press conference
          > to announce a new inititive. I'm wondering if that is still a viable
          > option for attracting coverage, especially in a mid-size metro market.
          > Obviously, I know the president does it as do police, etc., but what
          > about other agencies and for something that isn't already on the radar
          > screen?
          >
          > Anyone had experience with this and how has it worked?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Duncan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
            I agree with Alvin that we have to be careful about calling news conferences
            these days. But it really does depend on whether your announcement is
            important enough. You didn't mention what this initiative is. If it's
            something that's going to create what would relatively be a large number of
            jobs, it very well could be worth a news conference. But as a rule CEOs and
            other clients are notorious for thinking the media will find their news as
            interesting as they themselves do. It's a subjective thing though, so if you
            aren't sure, this is where time building good relationships with the media
            pays off. Contact a reporter or two you have good rapport with and simply
            ask. Say, "Look, you understand the media better than I do, so I need some
            advice - Is this worth a news conference?" They'll be flattered you asked,
            and will give you an honest answer.

            Duncan