Re: [prbytes] Press conference -- dead or alive?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2006
      Press releases are viable when you have "theater" to go with it - the
      unveiling of a long-awaited new product, the announcement (with
      subsequent Q&A) of a new executive or official, etc.

      However, for run-of-the-mill announcements, fuggidabowtit (at least
      in my opinion)

      Ned

      At 12:38 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
      >I'm in a new position and a new city. Although I've worked in PR for a
      >number of years, it's been a while since I've done much media work.
      >The agency I'm working with is wanting to schedule a press conference
      >to announce a new inititive. I'm wondering if that is still a viable
      >option for attracting coverage, especially in a mid-size metro market.
      >Obviously, I know the president does it as do police, etc., but what
      >about other agencies and for something that isn't already on the radar
      >screen?
      >
      >Anyone had experience with this and how has it worked?
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Ned Barnett, APR
      Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

      Barnett Marketing Communications
      Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

      420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
      Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
      ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

      Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
      http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

      BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

    • Mike Driehorst
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
        Generally, yes, news conferences to have a place. Personally, I'd only
        do a news conference if there is big enough news.

        Usually, I'd prefer one-on-one editor interviews. That way each can
        feel they are getting "exclusive" treatment, and personal attention.
        However, those can be difficult to schedule in a single day if you are
        looking for one big announcement.

        Mike
        _____________________________
        Michael Driehorst
        Media Relations Manager
        The Lauerer Markin Group Inc.
        Maumee, OH 43537 U.S.A.
        +419.887-6811 (direct)
        +1.800.535.3212 (ext. 396)
        miked@...
        AIM: mcdriehorst / Y!M: miked918

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
          There's not much information here to go on, such as what type of
          announcement it is, so it's hard for me to answer. In general I think a
          press conference is called for only for really time-sensitive, really
          big news.

          Still, a press conference shouldn't replace one-on-one briefings with
          key journalists. Be aware it will do nothing to build relationships, in
          fact the opposite may even be true. You run the risk of
          communicating 'you aren't important enough for us to give you this
          story personally.'

          It can also backfire if journalists see all their competition in one
          room. They may figure that if everyone else is already covering this
          story, why should I bother?

          If it has to be done this way, in addition to prebriefing your best
          targets, I assume you will want to call people to invite them. If it's
          urgent enough to hold a press conference, then it's urgent enough to
          make phone calls - and send all the who/what/wheres by email afterward
          (as in minutes afterward). With these calls and emails, I would try to
          give as much information up front as possible. They should practically
          have the story written by the time they walk in the door. Still, your
          top reporters should have access to information or sources that you
          don't give everyone so they still believe you like them best.

          And to smooth the feathers of journalists who are still annoyed that
          you made them leave their desks for _this_, have a nice spread of food.
          Hummus and baba ghannouj with pita bread triangles and fancy olives
          works almost any time of day for almost everyone's wacky diet.

          --- In prbytes@yahoogroups.com, "djsmith16" <dmoseley@...> wrote:

          > I'm in a new position and a new city. Although I've worked in PR for
          > number of years, it's been a while since I've done much media work.
          > The agency I'm working with is wanting to schedule a press conference
          > to announce a new inititive. I'm wondering if that is still a viable
          > option for attracting coverage, especially in a mid-size metro
          market.
          > Obviously, I know the president does it as do police, etc., but what
          > about other agencies and for something that isn't already on the
          radar
          > screen?
          >
          > Anyone had experience with this and how has it worked?

        • alvin.hattal
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
            These days--and for a long time now--news conferences are appropriate only
            if no other vehicle will do the job. Reporters have enough to do and have
            long been fed up with their overuse and disappointing reasons. Best not to
            irritate them by summoning them with unnecessary ones.

            Alvin Hattal
            al@...
            www.hattal.com
            V: 425-576-1950

            > I'm in a new position and a new city. Although I've worked in PR for a
            > number of years, it's been a while since I've done much media work.
            > The agency I'm working with is wanting to schedule a press conference
            > to announce a new inititive. I'm wondering if that is still a viable
            > option for attracting coverage, especially in a mid-size metro market.
            > Obviously, I know the president does it as do police, etc., but what
            > about other agencies and for something that isn't already on the radar
            > screen?
            >
            > Anyone had experience with this and how has it worked?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Duncan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
              I agree with Alvin that we have to be careful about calling news conferences
              these days. But it really does depend on whether your announcement is
              important enough. You didn't mention what this initiative is. If it's
              something that's going to create what would relatively be a large number of
              jobs, it very well could be worth a news conference. But as a rule CEOs and
              other clients are notorious for thinking the media will find their news as
              interesting as they themselves do. It's a subjective thing though, so if you
              aren't sure, this is where time building good relationships with the media
              pays off. Contact a reporter or two you have good rapport with and simply
              ask. Say, "Look, you understand the media better than I do, so I need some
              advice - Is this worth a news conference?" They'll be flattered you asked,
              and will give you an honest answer.

              Duncan