U.S. Postal Service Is Looking for Some Good PR

  • marginee76
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
      Postal Service Launches College Contest to Promote NetPost®, Click-N-
      Ship® and Direct Mail

      February 3, 2006 (New York, NY) – The U.S. Postal Service is proud
      to announce the launch of the "P.R. Professional Experience,"
      (www.usps.com/communications/prpe) a contest in which student teams
      from colleges and universities in New York, New Jersey and
      Connecticut compete to see who can devise the best public relations
      campaign for the Postal Service's online products NetPost®
      (www.usps.com/netpost), Click-N-Ship® (www.usps.com/clicknship) and
      Direct Mail (www.usps.com/directmail).

      The Postal Service is looking for the Public Relations executives of
      tomorrow by stimulating creative ideas from students majoring in
      Communications, Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing, Public
      Affairs, Broadcasting, Journalism or English.

      Participating students could win over $2500 in prizes sponsored by
      Microsoft, JetBlue Airways and Travel Pro, and the chance to have
      their

      Grand Prize winning campaign featured in a future Postal Service
      Public Relations promotion.

      Tri-state student teams have until February 15 to send in their
      Participation Forms. A one-page synopsis of the team's proposed PR
      campaign must be postmarked by March 1, 2006 and received by March
      6, 2006. Entries will be narrowed down to sixteen semi-finalist
      teams, who will each develop and submit a public relations campaign
      that targets 18 to 34 year-olds. Those teams will be narrowed down
      to six finalists, who will present their campaigns to a panel of
      celebrity judges at an awards ceremony in May.

      Prizes include Xbox 360's and a trip to anywhere JetBlue flies.

      For Official Rules, log on to www.usps.com/communications/prpe.

      ABOUT THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE

      Since 1775, the U.S. Postal Service has connected friends, families,
      neighbors and businesses by mail. An independent federal agency, the
      Postal Service makes deliveries to more than 142 million addresses
      every day and is the only service provider to deliver to every
      address in the nation. The Postal Service receives no taxpayer
      dollars for routine operations, but derives its operating revenues
      solely from the sale of postage, products and services. With annual
      revenues of $69 billion, it is the world's leading provider of mail
      and delivery services, offering some of the most affordable postage
      rates in the world. Moreover, today's postage rates will remain
      stable until at least 2006. The U.S. Postal Service delivers more
      than 46 percent of the world's mail volume-some 206 billion letters,
      advertisements, periodicals and packages a year-and serves seven
      million customers each day at its 37,000 retail locations nationwide.

      ###############
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
        This is a great way for a cheap-a** company to
        get quality PR ideas on the cheap. When I was in
        college, the State of Georgia did the same thing
        (though it wasn't a contest - it was a class
        project) to help launch the Lake Lanier Islands
        resort. The class was divided into two teams -
        the State then co-opted the best ideas from both,
        and naturally botched their implementation. As a
        student in one of the groups, all I got was a
        grade, and a T-Shirt: "I created the PR campaign
        for Lake Lanier Islands and all I got was a lousy A" ...

        At 06:35 AM 2/9/2006, you wrote:
        >Postal Service Launches College Contest to Promote NetPost®, Click-N-
        >Ship® and Direct Mail
        >
        >February 3, 2006 (New York, NY) ­ The U.S. Postal Service is proud
        >to announce the launch of the "P.R. Professional Experience,"
        >(www.usps.com/communications/prpe) a contest in which student teams
        >from colleges and universities in New York, New Jersey and
        >Connecticut compete to see who can devise the best public relations
        >campaign for the Postal Service's online products NetPost®
        >(www.usps.com/netpost), Click-N-Ship® (www.usps.com/clicknship) and
        >Direct Mail (www.usps.com/directmail).
        >
        >The Postal Service is looking for the Public Relations executives of
        >tomorrow by stimulating creative ideas from students majoring in
        >Communications, Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing, Public
        >Affairs, Broadcasting, Journalism or English.
        >
        >Participating students could win over $2500 in prizes sponsored by
        >Microsoft, JetBlue Airways and Travel Pro, and the chance to have
        >their
        >
        >Grand Prize winning campaign featured in a future Postal Service
        >Public Relations promotion.
        >
        >Tri-state student teams have until February 15 to send in their
        >Participation Forms. A one-page synopsis of the team's proposed PR
        >campaign must be postmarked by March 1, 2006 and received by March
        >6, 2006. Entries will be narrowed down to sixteen semi-finalist
        >teams, who will each develop and submit a public relations campaign
        >that targets 18 to 34 year-olds. Those teams will be narrowed down
        >to six finalists, who will present their campaigns to a panel of
        >celebrity judges at an awards ceremony in May.
        >
        >Prizes include Xbox 360's and a trip to anywhere JetBlue flies.
        >

        >For Official Rules, log on to www.usps.com/communications/prpe.
        >

        >ABOUT THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
        >
        >Since 1775, the U.S. Postal Service has connected friends, families,
        >neighbors and businesses by mail. An independent federal agency, the
        >Postal Service makes deliveries to more than 142 million addresses
        >every day and is the only service provider to deliver to every
        >address in the nation. The Postal Service receives no taxpayer
        >dollars for routine operations, but derives its operating revenues
        >solely from the sale of postage, products and services. With annual
        >revenues of $69 billion, it is the world's leading provider of mail
        >and delivery services, offering some of the most affordable postage
        >rates in the world. Moreover, today's postage rates will remain
        >stable until at least 2006. The U.S. Postal Service delivers more
        >than 46 percent of the world's mail volume-some 206 billion letters,
        >advertisements, periodicals and packages a year-and serves seven
        >million customers each day at its 37,000 retail locations nationwide.
        >

        >###############
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Ned Barnett, APR
        Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

        Barnett Marketing Communications
        Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

        420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
        Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
        ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

        Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
        Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
        Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
        http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

        BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2006
          Still, it's a handsome prize package and a good resume credit.

          And I think that the experience you had in a classroom context is
          different - that was essentially an internship, a real-world
          setting, where you're supposed to be abused.

          I've done much volunteer PR work for worthwhile projects without so
          much as a lousy t-shirt. That's not to imply the USPS is worthwhile,
          since there's probably no better example of a 'who moved my cheese'
          company.