Re: Blogging & podcasting in PR in 2006

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      I'm late on this, so without replying to a bunch of posts in a row
      I'll just drop off my opinions and hit the road.

      Opinion 1: Read Deon Binneman's article 'Citizen journalism': an
      emerging reputation risk' posted a while back on the UK site
      www.continuitycentral.com. Deon uses the term 'citizen journalist'
      somewhat interchangeably with 'blogger,' which may or may not
      accurately reflect how these are used in North America. However, I
      liked the term because it's distinct from 'corporate journalist' -
      someone who works for a news corporation.

      Opinion 2: One need look no further than Judith Miller to realize
      that bloggers aren't the only ones failing to check facts and verify
      sources. There is a difference, though: bloggers don't sell their
      stories as "news." And they generally don't provide the fodder for
      war.

      Opinion 3: One reason blogging has become a factor in PR is that
      journalists themselves are spending more time blogging and less time
      reporting/editing. I've noticed this in the trades this past year.
      Most newsweeklies have encouraged their writers to have their own
      blogs on the publication's online component, and these pages are
      sometimes little more than gossip columns about who's doing what in
      the industry they cover. So the takeaway here is that your editorial
      targets are now using stories you give them in two ways: they are
      reporting on it; then they are commenting on it afterwards and
      encouraging feedback from readers. And obviously when working with
      these people, understand that taking their eyes away from their
      blogs for a half-hour telebriefing takes a little more effort on our
      part now.

      Opinion 4: We're in radically different business environments, and
      what matters in consumer goods like vaccuum cleaners or soft drinks
      or DVDs is different than what matters in healthcare or real estate
      or oil companies. Or in the PR businesses that deal with these
      companies. I don't think we'll see universal truths here in 2006 or
      any time soon, in part because the enabling technologies are still
      maturing and learning to become more accessible. (I don't have an
      iPod and I don't download content off the Internet onto my other
      computers. When I want to hear music, I hum.)

      Opinion 5: That said, I do question the impact of blogs and podcasts
      on tangibles like buying decisions. But people in PR are often more
      focused on intangibles like reputation or brand building. Tangible
      or intangible, the fact is, we're all already talking about these
      technologies and how to leverage them for ourselves and/or our
      clients. Whether we believe in them or not, even if it's just to
      appear like we're finger-on-the-pulse people, we'll probably chat
      with our clients at some point about these ideas.