Does anybody know ... (ACT!)???

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2005
      About 10 days ago, I had a computer crash of such severity that I had to
      reload my OS. Fortunately, I saved my files (in safe mode) before I wiped
      the slate clean, and everything came through OK ... EXCEPT ... for my ACT!
      2005 (v.7.0.) database. It was corrupted beyond all reason.

      Used a recovery program (BadCopy) to recapture at least some of the
      corrupted files from the wiped-clean hard drive ... but now I can't get in
      to ACT! to use them.

      It's now asking me for a password (I never set a password) in one window,
      and it's asking me for a name for the database (I never named the database)
      in the other. So I went to the ACT! website to find some help ... guess
      what? The help costs more than the (*&^%*^(*&()* software cost me. An
      annual service plan costs $299 (the software was under $200 at CompUSA). A
      service call costs $50 for the first 5 minutes. Sending in the database to
      discover the password (or get it neutralized) costs $100 - or $200 if I'm
      in a hurry. Or maybe that was fixing the corrupted files, with the
      password being $100 and no rush possible.

      There's got to be some way around this, but I can't figure out how, and I'm
      hoping somebody here will know how.

      Anybody know how ACT! is supposed to be supported ... now?

      Ned Barnett, APR
      Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

      Barnett Marketing Communications
      Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

      420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
      Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
      ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

      Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
      Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
      http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

      BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success

    • Janine Krasicky
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
        If you can open up your ACT, go to file and open. When you select this, it
        should open up the database folder in ACT and you should have the name of
        your database in there. I'm not sure what happened with your password. If
        you can't open ACT, try finding the ACT program in your program list and it
        should have a Database folder and you should find yours there.

        I also have the name of an ACT consultant who I haven't used, but they might
        be able to help. I'm not sure if they will be any cheaper, but they might
        be willing to help. www.aspen-tech.com

        AspenTech Consulting Group, Inc.
        471 W. Ann Arbor Trail
        Plymouth, MI 48170

        Toll Free: 866-880-4ACT (4228)
        P: 734-455-7188
        F: 734-468-0207

        Good luck Ned, this is the nightmare we all worry about.

        Best regards,

        Janine

        Janine Krasicky
        Founder
        J9 Media Solutions, LLC
        248.542.3991
        janine@...
        www.j9media.com

        J9 Media Solutions -- integrated public relations & marketing communications

        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."
        - Winston Churchill

        _____

[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        " on the web.

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
          At 05:19 AM 11/17/2005, you wrote:
          >If you can open up your ACT, go to file and open. When you select this, it
          >should open up the database folder in ACT and you should have the name of
          >your database in there. I'm not sure what happened with your password. If
          >you can't open ACT, try finding the ACT program in your program list and it
          >should have a Database folder and you should find yours there.

          I can find the database just fine - but I can't open it - NEVER had a
          password, and the standard one I use doesn't work (confirming that I never
          set one).

          However, thanks for your advice and help, and for the referral.

          I'm debating the cost/benefit ratio - 10 years of contact information (most
          of which is dated and essentially useless - but some of it is very
          valuable) vs. hundreds of dollars.

          If I'd known that Best/SAGE had dropped all reasonable tech support, I
          never would have bought the frickin' thing - what a short-sighted strategy.

          Anyway, thanks!

          Ned

          >I also have the name of an ACT consultant who I haven't used, but they might
          >be able to help. I'm not sure if they will be any cheaper, but they might
          >be willing to help. www.aspen-tech.com
          >

          >AspenTech Consulting Group, Inc.
          >471 W. Ann Arbor Trail
          >Plymouth, MI 48170
          >

          >Toll Free: 866-880-4ACT (4228)
          >P: 734-455-7188
          >F: 734-468-0207
          >

          >Good luck Ned, this is the nightmare we all worry about.
          >
          >Best regards,
          >
          >Janine
          >
          >Janine Krasicky
          >Founder
          >J9 Media Solutions, LLC
          >248.542.3991
          >janine@...
          >www.j9media.com
          >
          >J9 Media Solutions -- integrated public relations & marketing communications
          >
          >"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."
          >- Winston Churchill
          >
          > _____

        • Jim Rink
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
            when prompted for the password, what happens if you hit cancel?

            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prbytes>

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
              At 07:22 AM 11/18/2005, you wrote:

              >when prompted for the password, what happens if you hit cancel?

              Nothing - the database doesn't open.

              I've tried hitting cancel, I've tried closing the window, I've tried
              putting in my name and each one of my "standard" passwords - nothing works.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 23, 2005
                Thanks, Janine = and all who helped me on this - I finally got ACT working
                (now I can't wait to switch to something else ...)

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
                  You're welcome Ned. If you find a better option, let me know. I've used
                  ACT for a while, but know that your frustrations could be mine someday.

                  Best regards,

                  Janine

                  Janine Krasicky
                  President