RE: [prbytes] Questions for Executive Media Trainer?

  • Duncan Matheson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2005
      Stay away from the ones who pride themselves on playing the aggressive, go
      for the jugular interviewer. They make an impression but it's unrealistic.
      They should be tough in their interviews, but not belligerent. Look for
      media credentials that show the trainer has paid his dues as a reporter, and
      in various markets, including large markets where he/she did the harder
      stories, preferably in your client's sector. It's one thing to have been a
      government or health reporter for ten years for a major paper or TV station,
      quite another thing to have been the entertainment or features reporter.

      Duncan

    • Alvin Hattal
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2005
        Virginia, you might find this article helpful (published in PR Week
        magazine).

        Alvin Hattal
        Business Writer/Columnist
        al@...
        www.bizwriter.net
        425/576-1950
        Fax: 320/388-8236

        The answer to fielding hardball questions

        Journalists are wise to media-trained guests
        and won't take fluff for an answer.

        Within hours after the president and vice president testified before the
        9/11 Commission on April 29, CNN Crossfire hosts Paul Begala showed former
        National Security Council spokesman P. J. Crowley, now with the Center for
        American Progress, a clip of President Bush at an April 13 news conference
        pondering a question about whether he ever made a mistake. This is how the
        conversation went:
        Co-host Tucker Carlson (objecting): "Does it serve America's interests to
        make this into some sort of circus?"

        [The full story is on www.hattal.com (the 7th article listed under
        "Contents").]