Can I Borrow a Pen?

  • Kezia Jauron
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2005
      I'm a big fan of writing news releases based on surveys, and what I _do_
      like, from a PR standpoint, is that even though their results may not
      bode well for how easy their sell might be, they (a) released the
      results anyway, and (b) properly positioned it as demonstrating an
      opportunity.

      However, I get a little tired of accepting responsibility for updating
      MY contact information for other people via Plaxo and these other
      services: "your friend so-and-so would like you to confirm..." Just.
      Shut. Up. Please.

      KJ

      Can I Borrow a Pen?
      Sean Michael Kerner
      06/10/2005

      This article can be found online at the following location:
      http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/news/article.php/3511806

      In an age where computers and contact management software is prevalent,
      you'd expect most people to manage their contacts electronically. Then
      again, maybe not. Turns out, you're probably not the only SMB that
      hasn't jumped on the CRM bandwagon.

      According to survey results released this week by contact management
      company Plaxo, a significant percent of people still use pen and paper
      to manage their contacts. The Mountain View, Calif.-based company found
      that 37 percent of respondents claimed that they managed their contacts
      with Post-It notes or a Rolodex.

      In contrast, only 35 percent noted they used Microsoft Outlook to manage
      personal and business contacts. Seventeen percent reported using their
      PDAs or cell phones to track addresses and phone numbers of colleagues,
      friends and family. Two percent indicated that they don't use any form
      of contact management at all.

      And it's not as if survey respondents didn't have a need to manage a
      good number of contacts. The average number of individual e-mail
      addresses (both work and personal) survey respondents use is three.

      Each of them has also had 11 different home addresses over the course of
      their lives.

      "I think that this just shows that we are still at the beginning of the
      adoption curve," said Ben Golub, Plaxo's CEO. "At the heart of it is a
      behavioral change. While many seem to know that technology offers a more
      efficient and effective mode of operation," he continued, "they are
      still reluctant to move out of their comfort zone."

      Marcel Nienhuis, an analyst at market research firm Radicati Group, said
      that he wasn't surprised by the survey results.

      "People are creatures of habit and tend to stick with what they are
      familiar and comfortable with," Nienhuis said. "Older generations are
      especially more likely to stick with the same old pen and paper address
      book they've always used."

      Microsoft, however, believes, of course, that Outlook is a superior
      solution. "Options and competition are both healthy and beneficial for
      customers," a Microsoft spokesperson said "But we firmly believe the
      Microsoft Office system provides customers with the greatest value based
      on compatibility, total cost of ownership, productivity and safety of
      investment as a result of Microsoft's ongoing commitment to innovation."

      Plaxo doesn't see the results of the survey as a barrier to people
      adopting its contact management solution, which integrates with
      Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo Mail and Hotmail.

      "Ten years ago, a large percentage of business people weren't using
      e-mail or cell phones. And a large percent of business still occurs
      using faxes, physical mail and land-line phones," Plaxo's Golub said.
      "We think the same will be true of managing personal information."

      In Golub's view, people just need to realize the real-world benefits,
      such as saving time and, most importantly, ensuring that they don't lose
      their contacts. Then they'll switch to a contact solution like Plaxo.

      "After all, Post-Its can be misplaced, thrown away and lost in a
      disaster," Golub said. "Your Post-It notes don't follow you around as
      you move from home, to work and to the road."
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2005
        THANK YOU!!!

        I hate Plaxo, too - I wish that all Plaxo users would just shut the X up
        and leave me alone.

        At 11:08 AM 6/15/2005, you wrote:
> [...]
        >

        >Plaxo doesn't see the results of the survey as a barrier to people
        >adopting its contact management solution, which integrates with
        >Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo Mail and Hotmail.
        >
        >"Ten years ago, a large percentage of business people weren't using
        >e-mail or cell phones. And a large percent of business still occurs
        >using faxes, physical mail and land-line phones," Plaxo's Golub said.
        >"We think the same will be true of managing personal information."
        >
        >In Golub's view, people just need to realize the real-world benefits,
        >such as saving time and, most importantly, ensuring that they don't lose
        >their contacts. Then they'll switch to a contact solution like Plaxo.
        >
        >"After all, Post-Its can be misplaced, thrown away and lost in a
        >disaster," Golub said. "Your Post-It notes don't follow you around as
        >you move from home, to work and to the road."

        Ned Barnett, APR
        Marketing/PR Fellow, AHA

        Barnett Marketing Communications
        Exceptional Marcom Services for Exceptional Clients

        420 N. Nellis Blvd., A3 - 276 - Las Vegas, NV 89110
        Phone: 702-696-1200 * FAX: 702-696-1211
        ned@... - http://www.barnettmarcom.com

        Barnett on PR: http://barnettmarcom.blogspot.com/
        Barnett on Marketing: http://barnettonmarketing.blogspot.com/
        Barnett on Book Promotion/Marketing/Publishing:
        http://barnettonpublishing.blogspot.com/

        BMC - A Sound Investment in Exceptional Success