Public relations versus investors relations

  • detour3
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2005
      I have a prospective public company client who is doing IR and
      thinks therefore they are doing PR. How would you explain the
      difference to them to see the value of adding PR to the mix?

      Daryl Toor
      www.attentiongroup.com
    • David P. Dillard
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2005
        Here are some citations to articles that deal in one way or another.

        Some are articles about investor relations in public relations
        journals.

        Title: Investor Relations.
        Source: Public Relations Review
        December 2004 v. 30 no. 5 p. 582

        Title: The New Investor Relations--Expert Perspectives on the State of the
        Art (Book). [Review]
        Author: Marken, G. A.
        Source: Public Relations Quarterly
        Summer 2004 v. 49 no. 2 p. 7

        Title: The strategic role of investor relations.
        Author: Richard R Dolphin
        Source: Corporate Communications: An International Journal
        2004 v. 9 no. 1 p. 25

        Title: Investor Relations.
        Source: Public Relations Review
        December 2003 v. 29 no. 5 p. 535

        Title: Investor Relations versus Public Relations: The Separation That
        Could Seal Your Fate.
        Author: Glaza, Bryan
        Source: Strategic Investor Relations
        Fall 2002 v. 2 no. 3 p. 49

        Title: Demand Grows for Investor Relations Pros.
        Author: Thompson, Laura K.
        Source: American Banker
        02/26/2001 v. 166 no. 38 p. 8A

        Title: Investor Relations.
        Source: Public Relations Review
        Summer 2000 v. 26 no. 2 p.46

        Title: What's working in investor relations.
        Source: Equities
        September 1999 v. 47 no. 5 p. 32

        Title: Getting the Most Out Of Your Investor Relations Conference Calls.
        Author: Nekvasil, Charles
        Source: Public Relations Tactics
        August 1999 v. 6 no. 8 p. 10

        Title: Using Media Relations (Instead of Investor Relations) to Help
        Attract Financing.
        Author: Easley, Lisa
        Source: Public Relations Quarterly
        Summer 1998 v. 43 no. 2 p. 39

        Title: CEO Perceptions of Investor Relations As a Public Relations
        Function: An Exploratory Study.
        Authors: Petersen, Barbara K.; Martin, Hugh J.
        Source: Journal of Public Relations Research
        1996 v. 8 no. 3 p. 173

        Title: 16 top trends in investor relations.
        Author: Pincus, Theodore H.
        Source: Directors and Boards
        Summer 1994 v. 18 no. 4 p. 44

        Title: Memory for Investor Relations Messages: An Information-Processing
        Study of Grunig's Situational Theory.
        Author: Cameron, Glen T.
        Source: Journal of Public Relations Research
        1992 v. 4 no. 1 p. 45

        Title: New Realities in Investor Relations.
        Author: Haas, Thomas A.
        Source: Public Relations Quarterly
        Fall 1991 v. 36 no. 3 p. 17

        Investor relations : the professional's guide to financial marketing and
        communications
        By: William F Mahoney
        Type: English : Book : Non-fiction
        Publisher: New York : New York Institute of Finance, 1991.
        ISBN: 0136912540
        Subjects: Financial planners -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. -- Marketing |
        Public relations personnel -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.

        Journal of Marketing Communications
        Publisher: Routledge, part of the Taylor & Francis Group
        Issue: Volume 4, Number 3 / September 1, 1998
        Pages: 141 - 162
        The relationship between public relations and marketing in excellent
        organizations: evidence from the IABC study
        James E. Grunig, Larissa A. Grunig

        How to build a corporation's identity and project its image
        By: Thomas F Garbett
        Type: English : Book : Non-fiction
        Publisher: Lexington, Mass. : Lexington Books, 1988.
        ISBN: 0669133124
        Subjects: Entreprises -- Image -- ram | Corporate image.

        Journal of Public Relations Research
        2001, Vol. 13, No. 1, Pages 3-26
        (doi:10.1207/S1532754XJPRR1301_2)
        Measuring the Economic Value of Public Relations
        Yungwook Kim
        Department of Communication, Illinois State University

        Building mountains in a flat landscape: investor relations in the
        post-Enron era
        Author: Allen C.E.
        Source: Corporate Communications: An International Journal, October 2002,
        vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 206-211(6)

        Towards One Vision, One Voice: A Review Essay of the 3rd International
        Conference on Corporate Reputation, Image and Competitiveness
        Authors: Barnett M.L.; Boyle E.; Gardberg N.A.
        Source: Corporate Reputation Review, Spring 2000, vol. 3, no. 2, pp.
        101-111(11)

        For those on this list who use statistical data in their market research,
        this post may be useful to you.

        From: "David P. Dillard"
        <jwne@...>
        Date: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:38 pm
        Subject: STATISTICS: RESOURES: A Collection of Internet and Published
        Sources of Statistical Data AND MORE
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/4667>

        This post may help with research question design:

        From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@...>
        Date: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:42 am
        Subject: MEDICAL TOURISM : RESEARH: METHODS : OPINION: Research Topic
        Selection in a Cutting Edge Field
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/4753>

        Finally this post may be useful to some on this list.

        From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@...>
        Date: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:05 pm
        Subject: LEGAL WRITING : WRITING AND WRITERS: STYLE AND WRITING MANUALS:
        Legal Writing for the Courts: A Selected Bibliography
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/4735>

        Sincerely,
        David Dillard
        Temple University