Re: [prbytes] help needed...

  • Michael Ndep
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2005
      Hi there
      I do understand your frustration(I was once in your shoes!)
      For your first question, I think the Shell / Brent Spar case will help. I will advise that you lay your hands on a book edited by Danny Moss and Barbara DeSanto, "Public Relations Cases". If you can also browse the Shell .com site.

      "Public Relations-Principles and Practice" by Phillip Kitchen will be a great help too.
      You should be able to buy these books online or in a reputable book store.

      Good luck.

      Michael

      xox_lea <glitternstarz@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone, am new to this group, I really, really need help with
      my PR assignments. I've never taken this subject before but this is
      one of the modules that's in my degree course this yr. I'm majoring
      in journalism. I hope maybe some of you here may be able to help me.
      These are my assignment questions.

      Question 1:

      2,000 - 2,500 words.

      Question:

      "If you lose money for the firm, I will be understanding. If you
      lose the reputation for the firm, I will be ruthless"
      (Warren Buffett - U.S. investment guru and 2nd richest person in the
      world)

      "Public relations is the management function that establishes and
      maintains mutually beneficial relationships between an organisation
      and the public on whom its success or failure depends"
      (The late Professor Scott M. Cutlip, a world-reowned U.S. pioneer in
      public relations education and author)

      Define the term "reputation" and "management of mutually beneficial
      relationships" and describe the role of the modern-day PR
      practitioner in these contexts.

      Evaluate and reconcile the above statements, and explain how
      symmetrical communication can contribute to the reputation and
      success of the modern-day Businness Corporation, supported with a
      practical local or international example.

      Question 2:

      1,500 - 2,000 words.

      Choose an organization in your community that practices functionary
      PR, or one that doesn't practice PR. Based on your knowledge from
      the course, propose a plan to implement excellent PR practices
      within that organization. How would you go about it and what
      activities would you recommend?

      I find these questions really tough, will really appreciate any help
      I can get! Thanks a lot :)

    • Charles Wood
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2005
        Two suggestions regarding your course work. First, read the book. Second,
        ask your professor. If you are really interested in public relations and
        want to learn, you have to make an effort to learn enough to ask informed
        questions, not simply regurgitate what looks like open book questions from
        an exam.

        Also, you might include your name at the end of your posting, run spell
        check on your emails before sending them (spelling is important in
        journalism), and consider how your overall message might appear to your
        audience.

        Chuck Wood

        Charles A. Wood, APR, Fellow PRSA
        President, Wood Public Relations